The Dundee United Thread 22/23

22 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

McInnes won't be a yes man though. I feel Asghar wants somebody more, well, open to instructions. 

Mark Connolly got a new contract, which suggests you may need to be open to instructions, but necessarily able to follow them.

46 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Mark Connolly got a new contract, which suggests you may need to be open to instructions, but necessarily able to follow them.

Dunno. Asghar would have needed to sanction that contract - strange when you consider he wants to blood the youths his son is bringing through at all costs as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Calling it now. Micky will be away in the summer and McInnes in. 

I can see Mellon going and with probably a little more goodwill than Neilson went with, but not much. McInnes will be looking to get back into a club in England, maybe lower end Championship/ Top end League 1. I wouldn't be massively enthused by McInnes, although he's clearly a good manager. Given the Academy focus I'd be tempted to go for Cathro (which I appreciate is mental considering how badly things went at Hearts for him). 

46 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I can see Mellon going and with probably a little more goodwill than Neilson went with, but not much. McInnes will be looking to get back into a club in England, maybe lower end Championship/ Top end League 1. I wouldn't be massively enthused by McInnes, although he's clearly a good manager. Given the Academy focus I'd be tempted to go for Cathro (which I appreciate is mental considering how badly things went at Hearts for him). 

Nah I'm firmly in the Cathro camp. Especially if Frail stayed as number 2.

If you actually go from Neilson to Mellon to McInnes AND have managed to get money for Neilson and Mellon all the whilst improving the club's position in the league then that's an absolute masterstroke tbh.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

This, however, would make me more pleased about things.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Nah I'm firmly in the Cathro camp. Especially if Frail stayed as number 2.

775119002_tenor(18).gif.cde1b48449749769e599369e01c8f72c.gif

8 hours ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Not sure about cathro like.  I would love for him to prove me wrong but wasn't he a disaster at hearts? 

He was brilliant at Hearts.

He'd be excellent at United IMO.

13 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Calling it now. Micky will be away in the summer and McInnes in. 

I suspect McInnes will have far greater ambitions than Dundee United. 

8 hours ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Not sure about cathro like.  I would love for him to prove me wrong but wasn't he a disaster at hearts? 

If we were appointing a first team coach or a head of youth then he’d be first name on my list. As a manager though he’d be near the bottom. 

40 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

I suspect McInnes will have far greater ambitions than Dundee United. 

If we were appointing a first team coach or a head of youth then he’d be first name on my list. As a manager though he’d be near the bottom. 

I'd have Cathro nowhere near the first team as a manager or Head Coach. As an academy manager or assistant manager then yes I probably would say yes.

But neither of those will happen because he's probably on half a bazillion more than what we could dream of paying him. Even during the time when we were even more of a financial basket case.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd have Cathro nowhere near the first team as a manager or Head Coach. As an academy manager or assistant manager then yes I probably would say yes.

But neither of those will happen because he's probably on half a bazillion more than what we could dream of paying him. Even during the time when we were even more of a financial basket case.

Absolutely, that was just blue sky thinking. If he were even remotely interested in roles like those he would get way better offers than we could put to him. Only chance he would come to the club would be as a manager if he still had ambitions to make a name for himself in that role. And I wouldn’t want him as manager.