The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

If Pawlett is making more than £65K a week he is stealing money.

Actually, figures thrown about in various places earlier in the season said that he is on close to 10% of that figure. Which is absolutely mental if its anything like true. Which I hope its not.

And even then, for minutes on the pitch to salary, you're right!

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Our budget hasn't been stretched cause of Shankland not scoring as often 🤣

Wait...a...fucking...second...

No wingers...

No creative players...

Forcing 3 strikers on the pitch...

Its all to stop Shankland getting too many goals. No goal bonus = club survival!

Its been the plan all along!

f6b694da7bd16e8d5362d9ad2a5fa5e4_w200.gif.7b7576155fd6063781e00f29e4831e94.gif

29 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Actually, figures thrown about in various places earlier in the season said that he is on close to 10% of that figure. Which is absolutely mental if its anything like true. Which I hope its not.

And even then, for minutes on the pitch to salary, you're right!

So a bit confused here. A few posts up you said he was on more than £65K a week. So is it £65K a week or £6,500?  Or is this a decimal and comma thing that's confusing us?

8 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

So a bit confused here. A few posts up you said he was on more than £65K a week. So is it £65K a week or £6,500?  Or is this a decimal and comma thing that's confusing us?

Theres not a single player in Scotland - not even at Celtic or Rangers on £65,000 a week. United fans take the piss because the rumours are they're spending c.£5k a week, per player, on a few players. That is crazy money (if rumours are true) .

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Theres not a single player in Scotland - not even at Celtic or Rangers on £65,000 a week. United fans take the piss because the rumours are they're spending c.£5k a week, per player, on a few players. That is crazy money (if rumours are true) .

Kind of what I was thinking as £65K a week sounded like Ronaldo/Messi money.

So Shankland makes roughly £6K a week?

8 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

The rumours when he signed, in the league below, was £5k a week. They also had Pawlett (allegedly their top paid player) sign near about the same time. 

Edit : Messi is on half a million a week. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

16 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

The rumours when he signed, in the league below, was £5k a week. They also had Pawlett (allegedly their top paid player) sign near about the same time. 

Edit : Messi is on half a million a week. 

Messi might be able to afford to live in Edinburgh on that.

Are weekly wages for 52 weeks? Or only during the season, so roughly 42 weeks (or whatever it is)?

26 minutes ago, Biscuits said:
28 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:
Kind of what I was thinking as £65K a week sounded like Ronaldo/Messi money.

Still way too much. Most over rated player in Scotland. He's shite

Settle down, Alan.

Shankland isn't on 5k a week. No where near it. He got his wages offset because he basically trousered what would have been his signing on fee and gets a healthy goal bonus. 

Pawlett is on a higher basic wage than him. And thank f**k he's out of contract end of the season. 

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Yeah, I'm taking the piss re 65k a week. Lots of people speculated he was on about 5k a week including bonuses and stuff so was jesting. Depending on who you spoke or listened to it went from 5k to 7k to 10k per week. Its been a running joke since he signed.

I've really no idea what he's on, you might need to ask a Dundee fan, they're usually pretty clued up on all things United, especially financials.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

Messi might be able to afford to live in Edinburgh on that.

Are weekly wages for 52 weeks? Or only during the season, so roughly 42 weeks (or whatever it is)?

And yeah, Messi could probably lodge in a bin for a few weeks on that money.

And its 52 weeks pay. Anything else is part time which is where we might have been if we didn't get promoted last season.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Shankland isn't on 5k a week. No where near it. He got his wages offset because he basically trousered what would have been his signing on fee and gets a healthy goal bonus. 

Pawlett is on a higher basic wage than him. And thank f**k he's out of contract end of the season. 

Whatever Shankland is on, hes well worth it.

Pawlett, well, bar maybe 5 performances, not so much.

12 hours ago, arab_joe said:

That would mean four centre-backs on big wages.  Great in an ideal world, but surely given our financial situation we would be far better off using that money elsewhere in the squad?

We need a good centre-back more than we need to improve any other position by a long shot.

Sure we also desperately need another midfielder and we have no wingers, but centre-back has to be the priority.

Maybe one of the kids will prove themselves over the next few months, but otherwise I'd be ploughing most of our budget into what is basically the root of all our shitness.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Shane Duffy.

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yeah, I'm taking the piss re 65k a week. Lots of people speculated he was on about 5k a week including bonuses and stuff so was jesting. Depending on who you spoke or listened to it went from 5k to 7k to 10k per week. Its been a running joke since he signed.

I've really no idea what he's on, you might need to ask a Dundee fan, they're usually pretty clued up on all things United, especially financials.

Ah, gotcha. Failure on my part to pick up the sarcasm.

lol at the third line.

19 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Connolly, Reynolds, Butcher, Clark, Powers and Harkes won't all be on magic beans either to be fair. And were all signed when we were under Robbie trying to squeeze out the Championship paying idiotic wages for what we got in return (except Sir Shankland).

This is what most worries me - we had a wage bill of c. £4,000,000 when we were in the Championship - so, even ignoring Shankland and Pawlett, we are paying some substantial salaries to some very average footballers.  The more I think about it, the angrier I become thinking of Reynolds and Connolly and their contracts - why on earth did we feel the need to tie them down to such long contracts!?

18 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Eta @arab_joe was alluding more to other teams going by what I've heard. 

Good to know! 

15 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

More of an observation really but does Arabjoe only ever post when he’s on the shiter first thing in the morning?

Haha, I only get the chance to check P&B before work - so with the time difference I can see why that looks like I am a bit of a weirdo posting at 4am... 

14 hours ago, Biscuits said:
14 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Still way too much. Most over rated player in Scotland. He's shite

I've seen hundreds of shite players at United over the past 25 years - Shankland is not one of them.

11 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Pawlett, well, bar maybe 5 performances, not so much.

The worst thing about Pawlett is that, in very short bursts, he has shown some incredible ability - if he could have stayed 100% fit he could have been a fantastic signing.  In the 6-2 game he was phenomenal.

9 hours ago, ArabFC said:

We need a good centre-back more than we need to improve any other position by a long shot.

Sure we also desperately need another midfielder and we have no wingers, but centre-back has to be the priority.

Maybe one of the kids will prove themselves over the next few months, but otherwise I'd be ploughing most of our budget into what is basically the root of all our shitness.

I totally agree that the centre-back area needs improvement (anyone who has watched United in the past 18 months can see that) - but realistically we are not going to be able to get Reynolds or Connolly off the wage bill, so if we bring in another Premiership calibre player then we will be spending a huge chunk of our budget on centre-backs.  A terrible situation, completely of our own doing - questions have to be asked about giving any 32 year old a 3 year deal, never mind Mark Reynolds...

I still hope that Lewis Neilson will replace one of the two of them, but let's see...

On 01/03/2021 at 15:45, ArabianKnight said:

Lawrence Shankland was to sign for Sunderland everything agreed on the contract side,  but we were in the middle of boardroom  reshuffles and disputes at the time and  Jack Ross could not get the authority to get him signed up. Dundee united made the approach and were told of the deal in waiting at Sunderland and would need to match it and they must have done as he went to Dundee united. The deal at us was £6,000 a week , £170,000 signing on fee and a 3 year deal. I knew the  HR manager at Sunderland at that time