The Dundee United Thread 22/23

14 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Celtic reporting looking at Harkes and had scouts at two or three recent games. Not sure how I’d feel if he left.

Quite a few taking you seriously too......................

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Did Sean Dillon actually say he didn’t know you couldn’t be offside in your own half? 🤯

That would be genuinely insane that a professional player didn’t know that.

I don't think he did. The commentator didn't express himself well, and Sean politely, as is his style, played along with it.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

No, you can't be offside in your own half but you can restart play from the position where play was stopped rather than where the offside offence took place.

This is what the commentator was alluding to. 

Sean Dillon is a welcome addition to the media commentary team, enthusiastic and knowledgeable, with a touch of humour.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

See - this goal in 2011.

Couldn't find the one where the moronic Rangers fan shouted "Ho! Heez affside ref byrraway but!"

Eta im fully aware you said you didn't know if the rule had changed recently, its just a nice goal to post up as an example of this rule.

Mass exodus after that goal. I'm assuming United won that game?

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

What a huge difference a fortnight can make - a couple of weeks ago half the Arabs on here were calling for Micky Mellon to walk before we inevitably finish in the bottom two; and now we are genuinely discussing whether we can get into the top 6...

For what little it is worth, the run ins (assuming the Livi won't be caught and that Killie are too far behind already) are as follows:

DU - 6th with 34 pts from 29 games. Rangers (A), Killie (A), Celtic (H), Aberdeen (H).

St M - 7th  with 33 from 27 games. Hamilton (H), Livi (H), Motherwell (H), County (H), Rangers (A), Hamilton (A).

St J - 8th with 30 from 28 games. Celtic (H), Motherwell (A), Hamilton (A), Hibs (H), County (H).

Motherwell - 9th with 28 from 28 games.  St J (H), St M (A), Hibs (A), Livi (H), Killie (A).

St Mirren must be big favourites - especially with these next 4 games being at home.  But who knows?  If Livi play like they did yesterday then they might be dragged back...

St. Mirren has five winnable games. If they catch fire, they could skyrocket up. Doubtful that happens, but three games against the bottom two teams and a match against a Motherwell team that can't get its head out of its ass, and they could pile up some points.

United's schedule makes the last two wins all that much more critical.  4 points from that stretch should be considered huge.

8 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Mass exodus after that goal. I'm assuming United won that game?

Goodwillie at his peak (aged only 22) through on goal in the last minute at Ibrox with the score tied at 2-2, and there was no doubt he wouldn’t score.

Had a TLDR in the Relegation thread earlier, but this is the key bit

Basically, 33 points is normally enough to avoid automatic relegation, and 37 to avoid 11th. 38 has always avoided automatic relegation, and 42 has always avoided 11th, while 37 has always avoided the play-off since it was introduced

As a United fan, I'm never fully confident until the job is done, but we're not far off.

19 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

No, you can't be offside in your own half but you can restart play from the position where play was stopped rather than where the offside offence took place.

Thanks, that makes sense - the commentator on DUTV implied that the rules had changed to allow offsides in your own half, which is what Sean Dillon was so perplexed by.  It appears it was the commentator's wording that was poor, not SD's knowledge of the rules of the game!

19 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s a very selective interpretation.

There were a number of Arabs, both on here and on Twitter/Facebook, that were calling for Micky Mellon to walk after the St Mirren and Motherwell defeats.  To say otherwise is factually incorrect.   There may well have been a number of legitimate reasons that fans had for being frustrated (in particular the inclusion of the 3 strikers every game) but, as I said at the time, it was majorly premature to be calling for him to go then...

19 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

What I’ve noticed with Shankland lately is that although he’s not physically quicker than most of the other players on the park, mentally he’s way ahead. You can almost see the penny drop a second or two ahead of the other guys.

He is a great footballer.  Last season, I thought he was just a great/clinical striker - but seeing him step up to the Premiership, it is clear he is so much more.  He could play centre-half, centre-mid or on the wing - and still be a standout.  I genuinely think he has the ability to go to the very top, a la Stuart Armstrong or Andy Robertson.

19 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

See - this goal in 2011.

The goal that won us the game and almost knocked us out of European contention (because it put Celtic in the driving seat and would push the European space to the Scottish Cup) - thankfully for us Celtic bottled it at Inverness and we got to go to Wroclaw... 

18 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Did Sean Dillon actually say he didn’t know you couldn’t be offside in your own half? 🤯

No, I (and Sean, it would appear) misinterpreted what the commentator was saying.

16 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

St. Mirren has five winnable games. If they catch fire, they could skyrocket up. Doubtful that happens, but three games against the bottom two teams and a match against a Motherwell team that can't get its head out of its ass, and they could pile up some points.

4 home games on the bounce against bottom 8 opposition - by the end of that run they should be comfortably ahead of us.  But it is great to be in the conversation for 6th at this stage of the season.

The thing with the offside was that the free kick can be taken from where the player "became active" which means the area of the pitch where their run started which led to them being offside. Dillo didnt know that. As did, I'm sure, very few people.

Doesnt mean you can now be offside from yer own half.

Edited by Sieb97

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

There were a number of Arabs, both on here and on Twitter/Facebook, that were calling for Micky Mellon to walk after the St Mirren and Motherwell defeats.  To say otherwise is factually incorrect.   

Care to show us a couple of examples?

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Care to show us a couple of examples?

These do?

On 27/01/2021 at 20:10, Twinkle said:

If Mellon had any decency, he would walk after that

On 10/11/2020 at 21:55, Twinkle said:

Mellon can f**k off...

Couple of posters were extremely negative and saying they had no faith in him and that his position should be 'reviewed' at the end of the season too, but not explicitly asking for him to go.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

@ArabianKnight was certainly calling for his head at one point. (was perhaps @Twinkle, they both kind of merge into one nowadays). 

I mean I know you read this thread regularly but if you could find more than one example of me saying he's not doing so great I'll be seriously impressed. I've been fairly consistent in getting splinters on my arse about Mellons position.