The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, PartyFears2 said:

Small Covid issue. 

player tested positive. 
re-tested (NHS) negative. 

doesn’t fill me with confidence re the private testing we use. 

Lateral flow tests (the quick ones) are only about 75% accurate - probably happens a lot.

9 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

You been storing that one up?

Pardon? I just felt it was a good time to chime into the ongoing discussion about John Souttar apparently being terrible at CH for Dundee United and much better in midfield when from what I saw of him one season - 2014/2015 - he was in fact hopeless in midfield. 

Apologies for adding my tuppence worth to the discussion @ArabFC

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Pardon? I just felt it was a good time to chime into the ongoing discussion about John Souttar apparently being terrible at CH for Dundee United and much better in midfield when from what I saw of him one season - 2014/2015 - he was in fact hopeless in midfield. 

Apologies for adding my tuppence worth to the discussion @ArabFC

Actually my bad - hadn't been paying attention lol

And I agree actually.

Just cos he was good on the ball didn't make him a midfielder and of course he was a bombscare at the back - all young centre backs are and he was a regular at 16 which never* happens.

*very very fucking rarely at least!

On 30/01/2021 at 18:56, ArabFC said:

Is Louis Appere shagging Micky’s wife?

One of our best players last season and has the versatility to play up top or out wide, but is just sat getting splinters.

More to the point, what does Micky have against substitutions in general?

Maybe this is why he always shoehorns Shankland, McNulty and Clark into the starting XI - he's scared of approaching the fourth official to make a subby?

What fucking harm is there in giving one of the kids a go when we're chasing a game? Is Mochrie so shite he can't replace Harkes for even a few minutes?

I'm just fed up with this shite!

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

More to the point, what does Micky have against substitutions in general?

I'm just fed up with this shite!

The lack of substitutions last night was absolutely baffling.  Hoti, Bolton, Mochrie or Appere should have been chucked on - they could hardly have made us any worse.  Interesting to see that John Hughes threw on 4 players with 15 minutes to go away at Hamilton - and completely turned the game.  I just don't see Micky Mellon having the confidence to ever do something like that...

Likewise, totally fed up.  Especially watching our complete inability to defend set pieces.  I've seen plenty of very, very poor Unites sides in my time following the team - but never have I seen one that completely goes to pot at the sight of a dead-ball.  Yesterday I thought we were actually the better team for the first 20 minutes and, dare I say it, the much maligned Ian Harkes even looked quite good - until their first corner/free-kick, at which point we completely disintegrated. 

That said, we should continue with Butcher at the back - him and Edwards look better than Reynolds and Connolly - but I would be tempted to go with 5 until we can stop conceding from set pieces.  

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Just watching the highlights of your game. What has happened to Mark McNulty? Thought it was a great signing for you guys, and he looks like a total dud. Wonder if his off field troubles are affecting him.

Marc McNulty is a good striker, being played on the wing.  He undoubtedly has quality, but seems a bit lost on the wing - before it is too late I hope Mellon has the stones to go with Shankland and McNulty up top and Clark on the bench.  If we leave McNulty on the wing too much longer his confidence will be irreparably low...

Looking on the positives - we are 9 points ahead of Hamilton (who play Rangers at the weekend); 5 ahead of Ross County; somehow still ahead of Motherwell and St Johnstone despite the fact that they are far better teams; and Kilmarnock look just as bad as us at the moment (and they play away 3 of the next 4 weeks, including to Rangers and Aberdeen). 

However, having a look at historical tables, the following was enough to finish 10th (by a point):

18/19 - 33

17/18 - 34

16/17 - 36

15/16 - 37

14/15 - 37 

So we are somehow going to have to find another 2 or 3 wins, minimum.  Realistically, this trip to Ross County is the only pre-split fixture that we have a chance of a win in.  Hugely important fixture.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

The lack of substitutions last night was absolutely baffling.  Hoti, Bolton, Mochrie or Appere should have been chucked on - they could hardly have made us any worse.  Interesting to see that John Hughes threw on 4 players with 15 minutes to go away at Hamilton - and completely turned the game.  I just don't see Micky Mellon having the confidence to ever do something like that...

Agree. I like Mellon but its really a problem. Hes too scared to go balls out for the last 10 when its needed. Last night, we played better but it was for nothing. Throw on Mochrie and Aperre for Harkes and Robson and go McNulty, Shanks and Aperre up top, Pawlett, Mochrie and Fuchs in midfield with Sporle to left back.

Likewise, totally fed up.  Especially watching our complete inability to defend set pieces.  I've seen plenty of very, very poor Unites sides in my time following the team - but never have I seen one that completely goes to pot at the sight of a dead-ball. 

I watch these set pieces through my fingers now. Might start putting my mask on but over my eyes next time. 

That said, we should continue with Butcher at the back - him and Edwards look better than Reynolds and Connolly - but I would be tempted to go with 5 until we can stop conceding from set pieces.  

Agree. Butcher was much better with the ball and helped us retain possession and build from the back compared to HOOOOOF!

Marc McNulty is a good striker, being played on the wing.  He undoubtedly has quality, but seems a bit lost on the wing - before it is too late I hope Mellon has the stones to go with Shankland and McNulty up top and Clark on the bench.  If we leave McNulty on the wing too much longer his confidence will be irreparably low...

I think we need those 2 up front from now till the end of the season (in the more winnable games, I mean). 3 wins would see us safe, 2 and a draw would probably be fine and we have to aim for that at minimum now. We have to take at least a point from County.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We have to take at least a point from County.

This is my fear for Micky Mellon. We have a point when the game starts, and he may well set up to hold on to it at Dingwall. There's sympathy for him in that he has mostly inherited the squad, but growing anger that he won't make the changes in matches which could bring about freshness and positivity.

Trying to hold on to a point probably fails when Ross County get their first corner, inevitably from our left side. It's not just the recent past that's seen us lose goals like this, County's opener 6 months ago came from a corner.

Hes got to go with a back 4, with Connolly and Edwards in the centre and Smith and Sporle full backs. Stick Butcher and Fuchs in the middle of midfield and let the front 4 interchange. Thats a solid 6 thats only job is defending. Any of those 6 players goes over the halfway line should be executed in the centre circle

Guest Wieghortsnut
5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Interesting to see that John Hughes threw on 4 players with 15 minutes to go away at Hamilton - and completely turned the game.  

Playing with 15 players is just downright cheating imo

Good to see this guy's work paying off....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55816277

What might you have been doing with your life when you were 17? Thinking about university or a job perhaps?

It probably wasn't working for a football club.

For Ashwin Raman, it's been a dream come true since starting a role as a scout and analyst at Scottish club Dundee United.

"I'm still pinching myself. And I still can't quite believe it," the 17-year-old tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.

Ashwin's been at the club since 2019, during which they've seen a promotion and are currently sixth in the Scottish Premiership.

And it's not been a regular 9 to 5 for him either.

While lots of us have been getting used to working remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic, Ashwin's somewhat of a pro, working from home the entire time - 5,111 miles (8,225 km) away in Bangalore, India.

It was after reading football books that Ashwin was "hooked" and felt inspired to "go into the blogosphere".

"On my 13th birthday I started a blog and wrote what were some horrible pieces looking back," he laughs.

But the more football analysis he put out there, the bigger his Twitter following became - and then he received a special message in 2019.

"Stevie Grieve, the chief scout at Dundee United popped into my DMs and asked if I wanted a role at the club."

For Ashwin, it was a chance to do what he was already doing - but having "an actual effect on a football club".

Data, videos and fun

Spending hours on a laptop going through data and analysing videos probably isn't "living the dream" for most people, but it is for Ashwin.

"Here I am getting paid to work for a football club and having an impact."

Most of his time is spent looking for new players the club can sign.

"I get told what type of player we want, go through the database and see who performs well for the profile of player we want."

"And if we have a shot at signing him, I'll spend hours watching him and report back if he's worth it."

It might not be the way most people his age spend the day, but he admits he loves it.

"Apart from that, I assess our own performance in relation to the rest of the league. Not just in terms of quality but also to see whether we're playing the way we set out to."

He says the big advantage with data is that it gives you "the answers to allocate resources better and be more efficient".

An unhealthy sleep schedule

It's worth remembering there's a pretty big time difference between the UK and India.

But Ashwin's "unhealthy sleep schedule" and years of watching European football means he practically lives on UK time.

He's thankful that work is flexible - he's still a student after all.

"I have exams right now so I haven't been doing much work."

As you might expect, football makes up a large part of Ashwin's downtime too, because at the end of the day - he's a fan at heart and doesn't "always need to watch analytically".

"I'm always thinking 'oh come on you can shoot from there' which is probably the opposite of what the best option is."

And though he's not at the level of his favourite player Eden Hazard, Ashwin "loves playing football".

"I might be the worst player on the pitch every single time."

But off the pitch, Ashwin is staying in the moment and seeing where he ends up.

"The absolute dream would be to reach the highest level possible."

"But I'm going to enjoy what I'm doing now and see where it takes me," he adds.

Presentational grey line

5 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Hes got to go with a back 4, with Connolly and Edwards in the centre and Smith and Sporle full backs. Stick Butcher and Fuchs in the middle of midfield and let the front 4 interchange. Thats a solid 6 thats only job is defending. Any of those 6 players goes over the halfway line should be executed in the centre circle

I thought that had already been the plan tbh!

Butcher and Fuchs doesn't work - Fuchs does Butcher's job, but better - he needs someone beside him that is good on the ball.

Unfortunately our options here are limited - I'd play Pawlett, or even, hear me out, give Mochrie or one of the other kids a shot!

Leave Butcher at the back and see if that's his long term future.

Edited by ArabFC