The Dundee United Thread 22/23

49 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Unpopular opinion incoming but Connolly has been better than Reynolds this season and id rather have him in the team out of the two

Certainly not unpopular. I think thats a fact. Both have been OK with one or two horrific errors. Reynolds distribution is what is really starting to let him down. I saw a graphic of his successful/unsuccessful passes v Hibs. Terrifying. Connolly on the other hand, seems to be able to fire the ball into the feet of a striker. But not much else happens after that.

4 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Unpopular opinion incoming but Connolly has been better than Reynolds this season and id rather have him in the team out of the two

Reynolds wasn't up to it in the Championship, and has been shown up as lacking pace and for his poor distribution. He was never dominant in the air, and best qualities were experience and anticipation/positioning. However, he's only got experience now. Flapped around before Hibs first on Saturday, slow to react at the second.

Think he gets a game as he favours the left side, and we'd look even more unbalanced if he was left out.

4 hours ago, Twinkle said:

In the competition of whom has been less shite than the other, I would probably plump for Connolly. He's still rank mind!

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Rumours of you being a havering arse.

Thats Mr Havering Arse to you.

12 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I can't see Nisbet going south any time soon. The Shankland pish is just that, pish.

And I'm very glad its pish. Even though he's not getting a sniff of a chance here.

Well we've clearly no money and are in rank poor form but I'd honestly rather we didn't sign anyone than f**k about bringing in an Alex Nicholls or Robbie Muirhead type just for the sake of it. If we can't bring in someone properly good then better just to leave the current lot to it. The hole will be a bit more shallow for it come the summer. 

19 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If a club is willing to take Edwards and his contract off of our hands when he can't get a game ahead of fucking Connolly and Reynolds then we gotta open the door. Neilson, Smith and Butcher can can all provide cover.

I thought Edwards' omission was down to injury?  If MM is not picking him for tactical reasons then you really have to question why we brought him in at all - but, either way, I'm glad he has stayed - without him we would be very thin on the ground and heavily exposed if any of our regulars pick up an injury.

17 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If, and i think this is whats going to happen, we go 5 at the back id like it to be Butcher, Edwards and Reynolds.

Agreed - but would go with Connolly over Reynolds - Butcher is not good enough for centre-midfield at this level, and that is being shown more and more with each game that we see Fuchs in action.  He is half the size but twice as effective.

16 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Agreed - if, somehow, he could concentrate for the whole 90 minutes then he would be a really good Premiership defender.  However, his potential for a moment of madness still gives me the fear.

9 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

The boy Mallan from Hibs, off to Turkey to get a game. 
would’ve been ideal. 

Mallan would have been a great signing - in fact, from Hibs I'd have happily settled for Jamie Gullan who has just gone on loan to Raith for the rest of the season... would give more of an option off the bench than we have had of late! 

7 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd honestly rather we didn't sign anyone than f**k about bringing in an Alex Nicholls or Robbie Muirhead type just for the sake of it.

Agreed - would much rather bring in some youth player (especially as Mochrie, Graham, Hoti etc. have returned from loan) than gamble on a panic buy.

9 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Well we've clearly no money and are in rank poor form but I'd honestly rather we didn't sign anyone than f**k about bringing in an Alex Nicholls or Robbie Muirhead type just for the sake of it. If we can't bring in someone properly good then better just to leave the current lot to it. The hole will be a bit more shallow for it come the summer. 

Yeah thats a fair point. 

36 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yeah thats a fair point. 

For the masochists amongst us, check out the list of January signings we have made the last few seasons (courtesy of the legends at the Arab Archive).  Some truly woeful signings:

Craig Slater, Emil Lyng, Brandon Mason, Alassan Jones, Idris Kadded, Logan Martin and Grant Gillespie.

Aidan Nesbitt, Ian Harkes, Ross Laidlaw, Charlie Seaman, Peter Pawlett, Osman Sow, Mark Connolly and Mark Reynolds.  We also re-signed Cammy Smith.

Dillon Powers and Keiran Freeman.

Arguably, 2021 has been better than any of the above...

Edited by arab_joe
Correction