The Dundee United Thread 22/23

16 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Hopefully when Fuchs is back we can try Fuchs and Powers in midfield, think they are our two best footballers in that position.

I think Powers has had two decent back-to-back games, he’d need to be playing like that far more consistently than to be a better option than Butcher.

There’s been too many times this season where Powers has been rotten.

I'd like to think so too, but the caution shown by Mickey Mellon has a purpose.
A lot of fans don't have patience, including me at times, but MM is pragmatic and has the main mission of keeping United in the top league for this season.
In a few of the recent draws, we've actually been the team going for the victory late in matches, including at home against Motherwell where Sporle could have snatched an undeserved win, and at Pittodrie. Yesterday was the same, but most realise we just don't have the calibre. The frustrating bit for me at Hamilton was our lack of substitutions, but the first choices lack quality, and it's going to be the same for replacements, either that or they lack experience. MM possibly judges it's not worth risking changes when he's got a precious away point in his pocket.

I think you're right. From the little I know about how Micky Mellon set up his Tranmere teams, I don't think he is an inherently pragmatic manager. I do think he was spooked by the 4-0 defeat at Kilmarnock and since then he has decided that risk averse football is the way to go. Given we are still in the top half of the league, he may very well be correct about that, but it is a hell of a hard watch. The other issue is that the style of play is clearly detrimental to our best outfield player. Would the manager be forced into playing a different style with fans in the ground getting on his back? Who knows?

For what it's worth, I don't think we are in any major relegation danger, short of a complete collapse. Three wins would probably see us ok. At the moment, we are drawing our way to safety, which would be enough even if it is a bit of a slog. Strangely, we have only lost one game this season again bottom 6 teams - that 4-0 game I mentioned earlier. Looking at it the other way, we have only scored 3 points against teams in the top half.

What point am I trying to make? f**k knows. Other than...we're doing OK. No more, but definitely no less.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'd like to think so too, but the caution shown by Mickey Mellon has a purpose.

A lot of fans don't have patience, including me at times, but MM is pragmatic and has the main mission of keeping United in the top league for this season.

In a few of the recent draws, we've actually been the team going for the victory late in matches, including at home against Motherwell where Sporle could have snatched an undeserved win, and at Pittodrie. Yesterday was the same, but most realise we just don't have the calibre. The frustrating bit for me at Hamilton was our lack of substitutions, but the first choices lack quality, and it's going to be the same for replacements, either that or they lack experience. MM possibly judges it's not worth risking changes when he's got a precious away point in his pocket.

This.

As frustrating as it is watching the best striker we've had for years being wasted week after week, its about us staying up.

Re. The subs, the bench has almost zero quality/experience so he won't go for the win when there's a chance we could lose a point by opening up a bit or putting an inexperienced youngster on.

Shite to watch though, for sure.

As soon as we're in a "safe" league position I predict MM goes balls out mental with 4 up front with Shankland and Clark flanked by Big Louis and McNulty every week in a Jimmy Calderwoodesque formation.

6 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

This.

As frustrating as it is watching the best striker we've had for years being wasted week after week, its about us staying up.

Re. The subs, the bench has almost zero quality/experience so he won't go for the win when there's a chance we could lose a point by opening up a bit or putting an inexperienced youngster on.

Shite to watch though, for sure.

As soon as we're in a "safe" league position I predict MM goes balls out mental with 4 up front with Shankland and Clark flanked by Big Louis and McNulty every week in a Jimmy Calderwoodesque formation.

Are we scoring more/conceding less with four at the back or five at the back?

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Are we scoring more/conceding less with four at the back or five at the back?

As it stands, he's fulfilling the target of keeping us up. Im sure it doesn't say how he does it, obviously it would be great to be swording c***s left, right and centre with Shankland sitting on 20 goals by now.

But the fact is Mellons Murderball is working and I can't see him changing till we're nailed on to be clear of the playoffs.

He clearly has a fetish for 5 at the back when away from home or against better teams (it's not 3 before anyone else goes there, it's 5 and I don't care how anyone wants to dress it up) and I would like him to go for it a bit more but bluntly, we can't really complain when some (me in particular) were claiming this squad would be flushed like the turd it is if Robbie the Jobby was still in charge.

FWIW if our midfield wasn't collectively rubbish (bar  Fuchs) and offered a decent amount of protection to the defence I think hed be more inclined to play a back 4. Which would be a bit better on the eye in theory.

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

As it stands, he's fulfilling the target of keeping us up. Im sure it doesn't say how he does it, obviously it would be great to be swording c***s left, right and centre with Shankland sitting on 20 goals by now.

But the fact is Mellons Murderball is working and I can't see him changing till we're nailed on to be clear of the playoffs.

He clearly has a fetish for 5 at the back when away from home or against better teams (it's not 3 before anyone else goes there, it's 5 and I don't care how anyone wants to dress it up) and I would like him to go for it a bit more but bluntly, we can't really complain when some (me in particular) were claiming this squad would be flushed like the turd it is if Robbie the Jobby was still in charge.

FWIW if our midfield wasn't collectively rubbish (bar  Fuchs) and offered a decent amount of protection to the defence I think hed be more inclined to play a back 4. Which would be a bit better on the eye in theory.

Not answering the question though.

13 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Is there any point in answering the question when we all know what the answer is?

But that’s surely the point!

If playing five at the back made us defensively stronger then it would be justification for the terrible football that we are being forced to watch*.  However it’s not so what’s the point in persevering with it?  We are conceding fewer and scoring when we have four at the back so why not play that formation, at least in games against the teams below us.

* I know I’m not actually being “forced” to watch the games but I do because I’m an Arab.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

But that’s surely the point!

If playing five at the back made us defensively stronger then it would be justification for the terrible football that we are being forced to watch*.  However it’s not so what’s the point in persevering with it?  We are conceding fewer and scoring when we have four at the back so why not play that formation, at least in games against the teams below us.

* I know I’m not actually being “forced” to watch the games but I do because I’m an Arab.

Because Mickey Mellon wants to play 5 at the back.

Meh bah meh rules type situation. 

Hes lucky we can't get in to boooo 

Can we complain at sitting mid-table? No.

Do we have to enjoy watching this shit? Also, no.

I don't doubt that Micky is probably doing the right thing, albeit his distrust in using subs baffles me, but it's just week after week of meh!

I can't honestly say I'm desperate to get back to Tannadice - may as well be bored sitting at home, rather than being bored and cold at the game.

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Can we complain at sitting mid-table? No.

Do we have to enjoy watching this shit? Also, no.

I don't doubt that Micky is probably doing the right thing, albeit his distrust in using subs baffles me, but it's just week after week of meh!

I can't honestly say I'm desperate to get back to Tannadice - may as well be bored sitting at home, rather than being bored and cold at the game.

Exactly where I am tbh.

I'm missing the match day but not the matches themselves. 

57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I know that neither you nor I manage the team.

You know you don't manage the team but how do you know I don't? 

7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Papers linking us with Dec Gallagher. 

Yeah it's not happening. 

I can see it now.

Benji

Reynolds

Edwards Connolly Gallagher 

Smith                                           Robson

Fuchs Butcher Clark

Shankland

Think of all those 0-0 draws to keep us up!