The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 07/01/2021 at 11:17, ArabFC said:

Indeed, but that's kinda the point.

While I don't think McMullan is anything special and if the gaffer doesn't rate him, he may as well go.

BUT the fact he is the standout among a plethora of other players we have signed shows how difficult it is to get effective players in the creative positions.

Personally, if we're 0-0 going into the last 15 mins of the game, I might take some comfort in being able to throw on a player like McMullan whose pace alone can help create an opportunity.

Seems apt.

Shankland is wasted at United.  His positional awareness, workrate, touch on the ball and stamina were all there again to see today.

The guy needs to be playing in a team where his many talents are utilised.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Shankland is wasted at United.  His positional awareness, workrate, touch on the ball and stamina were all there again to see today.

It would appear very few managers and chairmen agree with you.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He'll be off the the Rangers soon enough for half of what he's truly worth if we're lucky. 

Then it'll be 35 goals a season for him. And 5 a game against us.

Sigh.

Any chance we can spend the next week working on crosses in training, do we seriously have no one who can put in a decent fucking cross. First 25 minutes I actually felt we were getting Smith and Robson quite high up the park supporting play but not one cross came from those situations with the ball either going inside or most often backwards. Set pieces were just as bad today with Clark’s delivery being woeful. Another point away from home with a clean sheet being the positive aspect to take from the game. 

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

He'll be off the the Rangers soon enough for half of what he's truly worth if we're lucky. 

Sigh.

I agree with that. A couple of seasons at Rangers and he'll be coveted for silly money. Ach well. Easy come, easy go.

3 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Any chance we can spend the next week working on crosses in training, do we seriously have no one who can put in a decent fucking cross. First 25 minutes I actually felt we were getting Smith and Robson quite high up the park supporting play but not one cross came from those situations with the ball either going inside or most often backwards. Set pieces were just as bad today with Clark’s delivery being woeful. Another point away from home with a clean sheet being the positive aspect to take from the game. 

The crossing isn’t great but if we actually put someone on the front post at set pieces we might actually get away with it.  I’m assuming Clark’s hand in the air means it’s going to the first defender.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Tbf, it was a decent header just too close to the keeper. Got a lot of power behind it.

Decent? Maybe im being harsh because i wouldve scored it but nevertheless

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Sigh.

Wild claim. Sure, he's a massive Rangers fan but I'm not sure he gets enough game time to get 35 if he heads to Ibrox. 

36 minutes ago, Sieb97 said:

If we go 442 over the next 4 or 5 matches (in my opinion) we will pick up enough results to basically kill any chance of us being in any kind of relegation battle. 

I'd like to think so too, but the caution shown by Mickey Mellon has a purpose.

A lot of fans don't have patience, including me at times, but MM is pragmatic and has the main mission of keeping United in the top league for this season.

In a few of the recent draws, we've actually been the team going for the victory late in matches, including at home against Motherwell where Sporle could have snatched an undeserved win, and at Pittodrie. Yesterday was the same, but most realise we just don't have the calibre. The frustrating bit for me at Hamilton was our lack of substitutions, but the first choices lack quality, and it's going to be the same for replacements, either that or they lack experience. MM possibly judges it's not worth risking changes when he's got a precious away point in his pocket.

56 minutes ago, Sieb97 said:

If we go 442 over the next 4 or 5 matches (in my opinion) we will pick up enough results to basically kill any chance of us being in any kind of relegation battle. 

Also it won’t be eye bleedingly bad to watch.

I think the three at the back works when you have the likes of Edwards and his height available but Neilson just isn't quite ready and again yesterday was a liability at the back. I would like to see Mochrie get a start in place of Harkes, and was again very impressed by Powers.

Agree that the lack of subs is utterly brutal.