The Dundee United Thread 22/23

31 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

You just watch yourself with any transfer chat on here!

Yes because I've clearly no idea what I'm talking about 😜

That was a question though I'm not sure, is that McNulty away back to Reading. 

BECAUSE IF SO IT WOULD FREE UP A WAGE FOR OHHHH PAVVVVOLLLLL.... 

That's 2 rounds of fixtures gone now so time for Mellons report card.

I think he has made a perfectly functional faux leather wallet that you might pick up in the Forum Centre out of a sows ear.

I still maintain this squad should be in deep relegation trouble. Our strongest XI is OKish but the drop off after that is frightening. I don't love the football but I can see what the manager is trying. Hard to beat and hard to watch.

I was pleased that he had at least tried to let the team loose a bit more against poorer sides. This worked well against Killie and less well against Well but I think that was down to more sub par performances in the team.

Without knowing what goes on in training I'm still a bit mystified by lack of opportunities for Appere.

Anyway it's a 8/10 for me. Seems to know what he is doing and I certainly don't look around the league wishing we had anyone else's manager. Players-absolutely, but not manager.

35 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Without knowing what goes on in training I'm still a bit mystified by lack of opportunities for Appere.

This. He was decent yesterday. Now I'm not saying he should start every week, but 40 minutes of fitba in the last 15 (league) games before yesterday is taking the piss!

Nobody can complain about being in 6th spot, but its a bit misleading as we're closer (in points) to 12th than we are to 4th.

I'm certainly giving Mellon the benefit of the doubt - it's clear he wants to create a solid base to build on, but by god has it been eye-bleeding at times.

There were signs of some more positivity yesterday. Let's hope they continue - it would be nice to see Shankland bang in some goals before he inevitably departs in the summer.

On 02/01/2021 at 18:00, ArabianKnight said:

Yes because I've clearly no idea what I'm talking about 😜

That was a question though I'm not sure, is that McNulty away back to Reading. 

BECAUSE IF SO IT WOULD FREE UP A WAGE FOR OHHHH PAVVVVOLLLLL.... 

Word on the street is the playing and backroom staff took the 20% pay cut to fund the Safranko deal.

Shanks, McNulty and Pavol front 3 is worth the hit in the pocket in my book.

Well done lads. 

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

That's 2 rounds of fixtures gone now so time for Mellons report card.

I think he has made a perfectly functional faux leather wallet that you might pick up in the Forum Centre out of a sows ear.

I still maintain this squad should be in deep relegation trouble. Our strongest XI is OKish but the drop off after that is frightening. I don't love the football but I can see what the manager is trying. Hard to beat and hard to watch.

I was pleased that he had at least tried to let the team loose a bit more against poorer sides. This worked well against Killie and less well against Well but I think that was down to more sub par performances in the team.

Anyway it's a 8/10 for me. Seems to know what he is doing and I certainly don't look around the league wishing we had anyone else's manager. Players-absolutely, but not manager.

Someone on here mentioned that basically the goal for this year coming in was to finish 10th, then reset going forward. I would say it looks like that's the case, and if so, Mellon is doing a terrific job.

You're entering a critical 5-game stretch where a fair amount of success could keep you clear of the 11th spot for the rest of the season.

I'm happy enough with Mellon so far in light of his interview where he basically accepted the football was shite but needed to make us hard to beat, which is more or less working.

We have a big run of 5 games coming up against the teams around us. If we can get 8 to 10 points out of these then I would expect us to be clear of any relegation fight at the end of the season.

At the start of the season loads of United fans were saying 10th or above would be great but in reality many (not so much on here) have been going apoplectic about the style of football despite the team sitting 5th or 6th for months now.

The football has been boring but I've not been overwhelmed by the teams below us in the league either. Watching football on a screen is generally terrible anyway.

To be where we are without having a midfielder for most of the campaign who can hold on to possession or complete a simple pass is impressive in itself.

It has been a good season so far, for our first back in the top flight after the dreadful Championship years, and should give us strong foundations for Mellon to build on in the summer.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

At the start of the season loads of United fans were saying 10th or above would be great but in reality many (not so much on here) have been going apoplectic about the style of football despite the team sitting 5th or 6th for months now.
The football has been boring but I've not been overwhelmed by the teams below us in the league either. Watching football on a screen is generally terrible anyway.
To be where we are without having a midfielder for most of the campaign who can hold on to possession or complete a simple pass is impressive in itself.
It has been a good season so far, for our first back in the top flight after the dreadful Championship years, and should give us strong foundations for Mellon to build on in the summer.
Pretty much my feelings on the matter.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Some of the football has been awful but im pretty happy with Mellon overall.

He's done what he can with the crap Neilson brought in. We're much higher in the table than I expected and much higher than I think we'd be under Neilson with the same team.

I was a wee bit frustrated with him earlier in the season but I can see signs of the way he wants to play and its become more obvious that he does not rate or trust some of the players in this squad. And rightly so imo. Hence the regular shit festing of some games to hang on to a point rather than lose it by going all out to win all 3.

He isn't without his flaws but I feel more confident we will begin to play better and more attacking football now hes sussed the squad and the opposition a bit more. Especially if / when we're more or less clear of the playoffs.

And your point about watching football on the TV is correct. Its fucking awful. But its as good as we're going to get for the next while.

22 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

The squad which we have is no worse than, and in some cases is better than, the other teams in the bottom 8, but we're ahead of 6 of them so you have to accept that he's doing a decent job. It's shite to watch though.

Considering the overall standard and our budget, I never thought we would be anywhere near relegation this season and that merely staying up would be acceptable.

Some people seemed to think we were being promoted to the Bundesliga and not a league of dross teams filled with jobbers like Hamilton and St Johnstone.

53 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Considering the overall standard and our budget, I never thought we would be anywhere near relegation this season and that merely staying up would be acceptable.

Some people seemed to think we were being promoted to the Bundesliga and not a league of dross teams filled with jobbers like Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Indeed.

20 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Word on the street is the playing and backroom staff took the 20% pay cut to fund the Safranko deal.

Shanks, McNulty and Pavol front 3 is worth the hit in the pocket in my book.

Well done lads. 

You would prefer mcnulty to Clark? 

I think Clark would score more in a front three with shanks and pav