The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Was miles ahead in terms of coaching and training than just about anyone else in the UK when taking over at Utd and kept an amazing standard for such a long time given the resources he had to play with in comparison to other teams.

He was strict and could be a bit of a b*****d but his drive and commitment were second to none and having known a lot of the Arab players at that time they accepted it because it worked.

I know I have called him a baldy headed c**t on a few occasions and probably much worse, I wouldn't have felt I had to if he had been shite at his job, the fact that we passed him over makes it all the more galling and he is certainly worthy of the legendary status across the road.

RIP Jim Mclean

As a wee laddie growing up in Glasgow in the erly 80s, having never set foot in Dundee before, I started supporting United because of the team Jim built, and the football they played.......

Nothing I can write here can do justice to the man, so let’s leave it at RIP Jim, a true legend, and thank you.

Thoughts and love from the whole clan MaCArab to the McLean family.

Took a wee provincial club to a major European final.  It’s a pity that his passing has happened at a time when fans of the club will be unable to pay their respects.

I've no doubt that the United fans will be paying respects to him when crowds are allowed back into Tannadice.

I remember Jim McLean’s great Dundee United team coming to Brockville after beating Borussia Monchengladbach in the UEFA Cup Semi Finals and applauding them onto the pitch.

I was 12 and didn’t really understand the magnitude of the achievement by United at the time.

He was a great manager in fact he was a genius of which we’ll never see the likes again.

RIP Wee Jim - you’ll never be forgotten.

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I remember Jim McLean’s great Dundee United team coming to Brockville after beating Borussia Monchengladbach in the UEFA Cup Semi Finals and applauding them onto the pitch.

I was 12 and didn’t really understand the magnitude of the achievement by United at the time.

He was a great manager in fact he was a genius of which we’ll never see the likes again.

RIP Wee Jim - you’ll never be forgotten.

The applause for Jim McLean , and United , got a special mention in " The Scotsman "

and Brian Clough was very impressed as well

Its a very tough evening being a United fan. I doubt there will be many who arent extremely upset or having a hard time given the messages and videos that are being posted today. It shows the sort of mark that the man has set on the city and the country as a whole in a football sense. Cant hide how devastated i am

It's kind of weird being the fan of a fitba team, where you know without the slightest doubt that your club will never replicate the success they once had.

Because there will never be another Jim McLean.

For what its worth, I think he would have loathed the idea of Tannadice being renamed in his honour and I'm with him on that.

RIP Jim 😪

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 23.54.21.png

Genuinely saddened to hear this news.

When you look at what he achieved with Dundee United both domestically and in Europe, it highlights how special he was.

Giving Barcelona a nonchalant slap home AND away was a highlight, as was annoying the OF for many years.

The Roma 2nd leg semi-final was a travesty. I honestly think his side could have turned Liverpool over in the final.

As many have said....'We'll never see the likes again.'

RIP Jim.