The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

It wasn't 133% of turnover last season. Again this has been explained countless times.

The last set of accounts showed that. That was for season 2018/2019. 11 first team players were signed in the January of that season along with additional youth coaches and Project Brave staff. Those accounts were up to June 2019

July 2019 11 first team squad players left the club, 3 first team players (I think it was just 3) signed. Even including Shankland there was a biggish drop in wages. Not huge I grant you, but big. Powers joined in January 2020. Wage bill for last season should be lower (unless someone somewhere has seriously fucked up).

IF COVID had not happened, there would be no issue as the losses shown in last year's accounts for the previous to that season, were on a par with what we had been told and would have shown an improvement over last and this season. That has been fucked now.

My concern is the intelligence of signing a player on 5k a week, nevermind the current, no match day income, for a club of United's size.

With regards to season tickets, I bought mine with no refund required or expected. I bought mine as away to support the club and help its continued existence. I suspect. I won't be alone in that. Next season will be no different.

We seem to be doing 2 and a bit months into the season, exactly what Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts and Dundee amongst others did during the summer after what looks like expecting to ride it out until fans were allowed back in

Like you, I bought my ticket with no realistic expectation of getting into Tannadice this season, and given the shite year this has been (Even with some of the performances this season), I have still enjoyed being able to watch United, home and away every week. As such, I will buy my ticket for myself and my daughter as usual next year regardless of whether I see a game live or not this season.

That being said, I have a solid job which has been unaffected by Covid,  and I appreciate that is not the same for everyone, but I would like to hope that the majority of fans who are committed enough to buy a season ticket every year, will not take advantage of this clause, if they can afford to buy their ticket next year.

58 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Well done Random,  very well played.

Falkirk fans.

Done f**k all for 40 years, consecutive seasons in the 3rd tier, yet still think anyone gives a f**k they average 200 more fans than many clubs.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Falkirk fans.

Done f**k all for 40 years, consecutive seasons in the 3rd tier, yet still think anyone gives a f**k they average 200 more fans than many clubs.

Can you not elaborate on your earlier comments by providing facts to back up your claims? Maybe best sticking to pass completion and dangerous attack stats.

Edited by wee_bairn

Oooft... From the Tele's 5 questions article

"The club’s annual accounts are due out soon – how will they look?

Bad, according to the Tannadice chief.

This time last year United posted a financial loss of over £3 million, with the club’s wage-to-turnover ratio hitting 133%.

Yesterday Ogren said: “We’re definitely going to have another loss. It’s just a question of how big.

“We haven’t finalised the books. We got hurt badly at the end of last year and it will be bad again.”

But the 58-year-old hasn’t given up on eventually turning a profit in the City of Discovery and believes youth development is a crucial part of the business.

He said: “It’s hard to make money and that’s why the academy is such a big part of our plan. It’s vital.

“It will potentially be affected like every other area of the club – everything is on the table right now.

“But we’re committed to our academy.

“Investing in Scottish football isn’t a get rich quick scheme. There’s a risk involved and I was told many times that I should get my head examined.

“I was told that if I wanted to make money this was not the way to do it.

“It was a risk I was willing to accept because I had faith in our plan

Confirmation that the accounts were bad last year and that the accounts will be 'bad' this time around too (presumably without the bulk of the impact of covid showing yet) & still thinking he can turn a profit....

1 minute ago, locheedee said:

He said: “It’s hard to make money and that’s why the academy is such a big part of our plan. It’s vital. 

I suppose this is why they over advertise any player that's come through the academy on teamsheets etc. 

Despite overwhelming evidence slapping them in their faces (United's current predicament), it appears our resident fermers are too thick to realise: paying lower league wages gives us a far greater chance of survival, in times of zero matchday income, than their own bleating seething Tory-fanfaring mess of a club.

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

I suppose this is why they over advertise any player that's come through the academy on teamsheets etc.

Might work if they can avoid the old firm or teams down south pinching their academy players for pennies, players not signing new contracts and walking for free or going bust paying McNulty, Fuchs, Edwards, Shankland and fk knows who else 3k+ a week... 

11 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

I just hope siegrist won't be off in jan because of it.

Genuine question - are you assuming he takes the pay cut on the basis he can be sold? 

I think the players can refuse the cut and walk away unless they're paid 100% of their wage. Not sure if they could sign elsewhere though. 

17 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

As much as I didn't enjoy reading the article about this, is it really any surprise?

We aren't the first club to do this and won't be the last due to covid.

I just hope siegrist won't be off in jan because of it.

Thing is how much do you think you can get for him even if he does get sold? I've seen some of your fans saying 2m for him but realistically do you think you'll get much more than 0.5m-1m to a championship club for him?

+

Given you lost 3m+ last year and being generous (since you guys are adamant it's not 133% wages to turnover anymore) say another 2m this year, even getting 2m for him still leaves you needing to sell Shankland for the 3m+ to balance the books...

With Shankland not scoring at the moment then even if a club comes in for him in January is he likely to go for any more then 1 or 2m especially given clubs will be trying to get your players on the cheap now they know you're skint.

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Just read a paper there a comment from Ogren stood out. I have limited funds. Then goes on to say the Scottish goverment should give finacial help. Looking in it does not sound good. 

I am amazed that you still have anyone who thinks they can make money from Scottish Football.  Only by getting into the Champions League would that ever become reality and I hate to break it to Ogren......

Boyle lost £10m on Motherwell and we still went into Admin.  At least he was a Well fan.  A wee look through history and he should have run a mile.  What made him think I will buy a Scottish Club where I have no affiliation, are not even in the top flight and this will work out just fine and dandy ??  Some people with lots of money lack common sense.

Arguably they could sell Shankland + Siegrist and still have enough to stay up but a slide down the table cannot be ruled out after this debacle.  And then there is what Mellon makes of it all. I have no axe to grind with DDee United.  Quite like them actually - but this has been badly managed however you look at it. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Genuine question - are you assuming he takes the pay cut on the basis he can be sold? 

I think the players can refuse the cut and walk away unless they're paid 100% of their wage. Not sure if they could sign elsewhere though. 

If the players refuse to take a cut and it’s being enforced then they’re free to move on and sign for whoever they like the next day. 

Wasn’t Robbie at Hearts not already linked with Butcher ad Shankland?

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

If the players refuse to take a cut and it’s being enforced then they’re free to move on and sign for whoever they like the next day. 

They could sign but the doubt I was on about is whether they can be registered to play or sit about twiddling their thumbs until January. If it is the latter, there won't exactly be a queue of teams fighting for their signatures. No club would be daft enough to sign players on inflated wages in this climate. Oh.. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

They could sign but the doubt I was on about is whether they can be registered to play or sit about twiddling their thumbs until January. If it is the latter, there won't exactly be a queue of teams fighting for their signatures. No club would be daft enough to sign players on inflated wages in this climate. Oh.. 

I’d imagine they’d be a free agent therefore able to play immediately for a new club.

I can think of 1 that didn’t see the 2nd wave coming. 

Do you think they budgeted for a crowd of around 10 000 or so earlier in October against Aberdeen? 😂

Edited by Yenitit