The Dundee United Thread 22/23

18 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Lets ignore Fuchs for a second, given that we have no idea if he's any good yet.

Sporle and Chalmers are pure 'meh', and saying things will be better when they're available again is the ever-present delusion that somehow we'll eventually have a complete fully fit squad.

You mean like identifying a real weakness at the heart of the defence and bringing in Ryan Edwards to fix it? AND giving Connolly a 3year contract extension!

I'm a long long long way from calling for Mellon to go, but lest we forget, most fans wanted rid of Neilson BECAUSE OF THE EYE BLEEDING FITBA on offer.

I'm a long way from it too, I'm just collecting splinters on my arse tbh. 

United are in a pretty healthy position overall but unfortunately a couple of bad results and we're down in the mire. Next 3 games will be absolutely pivitol to putting some daylight between us and the bottom 6.

22 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Sporle and Chalmers are pure 'meh', and saying things will be better when they're available again is the ever-present delusion that somehow we'll eventually have a complete fully fit squad.

I agree that Sporle and Chalmers are a bit meh and was stunned with how much game time Chalmers got early season when Glass couldn’t get a look in but in more recent games they have been decent and at least attempted to take us up the park and having them back allows to vary the formation as they are capable of playing wide midfield rolls where for yet another season we are short of quality options.  Also very meh players are better than very shit players which is what we have seen in recent weeks. 

19 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

I agree that Sporle and Chalmers are a bit meh and was stunned with how much game time Chalmers got early season when Glass couldn’t get a look in but in more recent games they have been decent and at least attempted to take us up the park and having them back allows to vary the formation as they are capable of playing wide midfield rolls where for yet another season we are short of quality options.  Also very meh players are better than very shit players which is what we have seen in recent weeks. 

Ok. Let's pretend both Chalmers and Sporle were available yesterday.

I think its probably fair to say Mellon would want to play 2 up top - Shankland and McNulty.

That leaves us with two realistic formations - 352 and 442.

In a 352: Sporle doesn't displace Robson and Chalmers probably doesn't get the nod over Bolton. Maybe, maybe one of them plays in place of Clark in the no.10 spot, but I cannae see it.

In a 442: You would probably see one of Sporle/Chalmers come in on the LW with Clark dropping out, and Smith playing RB unless you drop Bolton in there.

So Clark in this context is shit and either of Sporle/Chalmers who replaces him is meh. Forgive me if I don't get too excited!

Edited by ArabFC

55 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Lets ignore Fuchs for a second, given that we have no idea if he's any good yet.

You mean like identifying a real weakness at the heart of the defence and bringing in Ryan Edwards to fix it? AND giving Connolly a 3year contract extension!

I'm a long long long way from calling for Mellon to go, but lest we forget, most fans wanted rid of Neilson BECAUSE OF THE EYE BLEEDING FITBA on offer.

At no point did most fans want rid of Neilson.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Connolly and Edwards are awful.  Our defensive midfield players are not good enough at this level.  Fuchs is untested and most of our other attacking midfielders are mediocre and/or inconsistent.

So if Mellon is going to fix all this at Christmas he’s got his work cut out.

Edited by Granny Danger

15 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Dunno about that. A race between Powers, Edwards, Connelly and Reynolds would be pretty close.

I think this is a bit harsh on my namesake.

He only looks slow because he somehow manages  to run twice as far as he actually needs to. If he could run in a straight line, he'd be ok.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I think this is a bit harsh on my namesake.

He only looks slow because he somehow manages  to run twice as far as he actually needs to. If he could run in a straight line, he'd be ok.

This is how bad our team has become - our defence would improve if one of them could run in a straight line.

Its sad but true.

And the Fermers still couldn't score against them...

Edited by mishtergrolsch

10 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

If you take out the back-to-back 4-0 hammerings versus Killie and Sevco our defensive record doesn't look that bad.

8 goals conceded in 10 matches.

I think that says a lot about the rest of the league.

Aye I know we have been out the league for a bit. But it's really low quality these days or so it seems. Lucky for us.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

69 Fuchs

Nice.

When I seen the photo i was expecting the first joke to be about Pawlett pumping Smith, yet here we are.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

When I seen the photo i was expecting the first joke to be about Pawlett pumping Smith, yet here we are.

To be fair, the amount of jokes and comments about us being Fuched etc the last while have led to that gold mine being exhausted already.

And the fucher hasnt even played yet.

12 hours ago, ArabFC said:

We’re saved.

According to FIFA21, Fuchs will be our best player! 😏

3AB47DFF-C981-4A98-BBA4-2376CCBA4BC4.jpeg

Going on Tony Asghars current record of not one single dud signing, I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Fuchs will not only be our best player but he will take the league apart with sheer aplomb.