The Dundee United Thread 22/23

I remember C. Smith scoring a hattrick within the first 30 mins of a League Cup tie against Partick (2016/17?). It stood out as one of the rare times we played very, very well at that time! 

Impressive feat for Smith individually too. Can’t remember any quicker home hattricks at Tannadice in my time going. 

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:
Cammy Smith lads. Talk to me

Never really got a chance with us, in either spell. Hard to know how good he actually is based on that, although he was probably the best player in the league for St Mirren when they won the league under Jack Ross

Nah. 

I suspect Cammy's a bad egg.

I like Cammy Smith but he hasnt really taken his chance in the first few weeks of the season. We had Shankland injured and off on international duty and Smith hasnt really stepped up. Also we have Shankland, Mcnulty, Clark, Appere and Mcmullan that will fighting for a couple of places so makes sense to get him off the wage bill

That said, he scored number 6 default_wink.png

3 hours ago, Twinkle said:

I like Cammy Smith but he hasnt really taken his chance in the first few weeks of the season. We had Shankland injured and off on international duty and Smith hasnt really stepped up. Also we have Shankland, Mcnulty, Clark, Appere and Mcmullan that will fighting for a couple of places so makes sense to get him off the wage bill

What chance? Whenever he gets on the park its usually around 10-15 minutes.

His stats for this season are 224 minutes played, with 2 goals and 1 assist. 

I reckon he's as well going out on loan because he's never going to get a game here, but I have this nagging thought that he has something. No idea why it never works for him here.

21 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

No idea why it never works for him here.

He's not better than Shankland or Clark, would be my guess.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Bit misleading as the two goals were in one match against the worst team in scotland. Perhaps what i shouldve said was that he hasnt taking his chance to force his way into the team and make himself difficult to drop especially with Shankland out for a period of time. When you look back at the team selections when he was injured, umpteen different people had a go at playing up top so he obviously hasnt done enough in training to prove he could was deserving of more game time

3 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

so he obviously hasnt done enough in training to prove he could was deserving of more game time

Maybe this is it.

Anyway, I'm not gonna bang the drum for Cammy - I just have a feeling that he's a better player than what we've seen of him.

He probably should have stayed in Ireland - Dundalk are currently beating Molde in the Europa League.

Maybe this is it.
Anyway, I'm not gonna bang the drum for Cammy - I just have a feeling that he's a better player than what we've seen of him.
He probably should have stayed in Ireland - Dundalk are currently beating Molde in the Europa League.
I think hes the sort of player who needs to be playing every week to get the best out of him. Cameo roles and weeks without any football seem to kill his confidence

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I reckon he's as well going out on loan because he's never going to get a game here, but I have this nagging thought that he has something. No idea why it never works for him here.

So a goal every 112 minutes.  Not quite a goal a game but not too far off.

8 hours ago, Aladdin said:

I hope Appere gets more of a chance with Smith away. McNulty must have been brought in with a view to playing 2 up front and we have looked better with 4 at the back. Would be happy to see Appere wide.

Shankland, McNulty and Appere all playing at once?  Only if Mellon is on a bender. 

15 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
On 22/10/2020 at 18:46, Granny Danger said:
Shankland, McNulty and Appere all playing at once?  Only if Mellon is on a bender. 

There would be about 70 yards between those three and the rest of the team

At least that's 20 yards closer than Neilson would have them tbf.

I suppose a newly promoted team should be relatively pleased with any point away from home, but there's only so much more of this horrific brand of 'football' that I'll be able to stomach.

Attempting to bring on Appere as your first positive move of the game just as the referee blew the final whistle sums up this shitfest we're witnessing right now. 

Whoever signed Powers needs to be taken out and shot. I've legit never seen a slower fitba player in my life.

Edited by ArabFC

Yeah hmmmm not much to say really. Cautiously optimistic that this is a sort of building from the back approach. 

That's two clean sheets in a row tbf and the goalie getting plaudits for his saves. 

On the other hand it's insipid slow pish where the team has literally two international quality strikers up front and there wasn't a shot on target. 

Yeah hmmmm not much to say really. Cautiously optimistic that this is a sort of building from the back approach. 
That's two clean sheets in a row tbf and the goalie getting plaudits for his saves. 
On the other hand it's insipid slow pish where the team has literally two international quality strikers up front and there wasn't a shot on target. 

Yup. Risk averse football might be the way to go, and 6th place after 12 games is pretty good...but it's a tough watch and feels like an awful waste of Lawrence Shankland