The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 18/10/2020 at 13:09, ArabFC said:

I hardly think it's overrating our full backs to say they are solid dependable top six players when we are, right now, top six, and Jamie Robson is arguably our player of the year thus far, and Smith showed what a difference it makes to have him back yesterday.

Our wide players aren't great, that's why I merely described them as "not bad" - not the real problem.

As for Shankland, yer having a laugh!

Shankland is going to be wasted unless we find a formation and playing style that gets him service.  He’s done as well as he could since coming back from injury but is getting totally isolated with no service whatsoever.

This will be bad for the player, it will be bad for the team, and it will be bad for the club’s future as Ogren must see the ability to sell players as a justification for continuing to fund the club at the level he has to date.

I’m very disheartened by our performances the last few games and I really don’t see any sort of coherent strategy from Mellon.  We have just completed our first full round of games, I’m hoping that by the completion of the second full round that we are not consigning Mellon to the Neilson/Csaba/McKinnon/Mixu list of useless c***s.

Edited by Granny Danger

6 hours ago, ArabFC said:

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

At least he's ambitious.

I’m with ArabFC on this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Benji for £2m in January to an English Championship or lower half PL side (or Possibly even a Bundesliga side). He's arguably been one of (if not the) best players in the Premiership this season, especially considering the utter incompetence in front of him.

We're probably going to need to sell someone either in January or Summer to not make a financial loss, and we have at least one Premiership level replacement in Deniz and a Scotland Under 19 international in Newman to step up.

33 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Benji for £2m in January to an English Championship or lower half PL side (or Possibly even a Bundesliga side). He's arguably been one of (if not the) best players in the Premiership this season, especially considering the utter incompetence in front of him.

We're probably going to need to sell someone either in January or Summer to not make a financial loss, and we have at least one Premiership level replacement in Deniz and a Scotland Under 19 international in Newman to step up.

He recently added another year onto his contract so 7 figures isn't too far out there. Don't think we'll quite get 2 mill for him though. And he definitely won't be signed by a lower EPL side 🤣

Would need a few caps for the Swiss first at least. 

50 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose Benji for £2m in January to an English Championship or lower half PL side (or Possibly even a Bundesliga side). He's arguably been one of (if not the) best players in the Premiership this season

Calm Down Bernie Sanders GIF by GIPHY News

On 19/10/2020 at 19:00, Granny Danger said:

Shankland is going to be wasted unless we find a formation and playing style that gets him service.  He’s done as well as he could since coming back from injury but is getting totally isolated with no service whatsoever

Maybe he is just a championship level player? 

On 21/10/2020 at 06:22, mishtergrolsch said:

If there's hope for Reynolds having a successful international career then I'm gonna get my old Adidas Predators out and my 3 year United deal should be signed by tomorrow.

If the pandemic gets so bad that Mark Reynolds is next in line for Scotland then we're all fucked. Opportunity for some hard-hitting public health messaging:

Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Keep Reynolds out of the Scotland squad

4 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Cammy away on loan to Ayr till January when his contract runs out I think? 

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6632/CAMMY-SMITH-JOINS-AYR-UNITED-ON-LOAN.html

I'm unsure: he's maybe another player on an excessively long contract, could be another 14 months on his. One way or another, United have given out contracts to players which in many cases are overgenerous.