The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

The only person upset is the one with such an ignorance of linguistic register that they felt the need to comment on it.

Doubling down on your ignorance in the face of facts is a sure sign of someone not all bothered to have exposed their stupidity of themselves in public too.

PS anymore as a single word used as an adverb is American English. HtH 

Hopefully the fact that you had 5 shots today instead of the one that you had against Livingston, will make you a tad happier tonight. You won’t be so upset anymore.

52 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Absolute dugshit. The actual f**k was that. 

18 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Hope somebody has kept the reciept for MM?

I am trying not to overreact but that was turgid.  After waiting 25 minutes to get the stream I stopped watching with 20 minutes left as I thought we were appalling.

Fair play to Peterhead but there is no way we should be getting turned over like this.

Our style of play and quality must improve or Mellon will be under severe pressure by Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I am trying not to overreact but that was turgid.  After waiting 25 minutes to get the stream I stopped watching with 20 minutes left as I thought we were appalling.

Fair play to Peterhead but there is no way we should be getting turned over like this.

Our style of play and quality must improve or Mellon will be under severe pressure by Christmas.

Serious question here. What the hell has happened at Tannadice? Only a few weeks ago the United fans on here taking the pish out of Hearts fans and thanking them for taking Neilson and giving United money to go out and get Mellon, who, apparently, was at that time a massive step up from Neilson.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Serious question here. What the hell has happened at Tannadice? Only a few weeks ago the United fans on here taking the pish out of Hearts fans and thanking them for taking Neilson and giving United money to go out and get Mellon, who, apparently, was at that time a massive step up from Neilson.

He is a step up. This is the squad that Neilson built and Mellon is trying to get something other than shite out of it. 

As much as I'm not trying to make excuses for MM as he's not perfect, it should be remembered this squad would not have won the league with the gap it did had the season finished in a traditional manner. It was limping along come the end. Its fucking garbage.

I dread to think where we'd be with Neilson.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What I find astonishing is that Brechin scored 2 against them. Think our keeper touched the ball once today and they were barely in our half. 

Worth noting that Hearts needed a relatively late goal to beat Cowdenbeath today and looked utter mince in the second half against ICT.

8 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

He is a step up. 

Is he though? 

I've been saying it most of the season, you do not look like a good team. Even games you've won I've passed comment on how it will never work in the long run asking a team to play so far apart from attack and defence and having such a high workrate would never work with this calibre of player. Most of your support were saying players like Butcher would cope easily enough in the top flight and it just isn't the case. 

As for it being Neilson's squad - Mellon had to improve CB and the guy he's signed (and has said he's been after for years) looks just as bad as Mark Connolly. He's went after a penalty box striker in McNulty when you had more than adequate on in Shankland. Can't comment on Fuchs or Hoti. 

It's been alarming since day dot. He gives it "We're Dundee United" in his pressers which seemed to have the morons wanting stands named after him already. Questions need to seriously begin to be asked of him and his decision making. 

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

He is a step up. This is the squad that Neilson built and Mellon is trying to get something other than shite out of it. 

As much as I'm not trying to make excuses for MM as he's not perfect, it should be remembered this squad would not have won the league with the gap it did had the season finished in a traditional manner. It was limping along come the end. Its fucking garbage.

I dread to think where we'd be with Neilson.

If only he'd had a transfer window to help improve things.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Is he though? 

I've been saying it most of the season, you do not look like a good team. Even games you've won I've passed comment on how it will never work in the long run asking a team to play so far apart from attack and defence and having such a high workrate would never work with this calibre of player. Most of your support were saying players like Butcher would cope easily enough in the top flight and it just isn't the case. 

As for it being Neilson's squad - Mellon had to improve CB and the guy he's signed (and has said he's been after for years) looks just as bad as Mark Connolly. He's went after a penalty box striker in McNulty when you had more than adequate on in Shankland. Can't comment on Fuchs or Hoti. 

It's been alarming since day dot. He gives it "We're Dundee United" in his pressers which seemed to have the morons wanting stands named after him already. Questions need to seriously begin to be asked of him and his decision making. 

Would love to say you’re talking shite and tell you to f**k off, but I can’t.  I  agree with every damn word

I was very much in the enthusiasm camp after Mellon’s first few interviews, he clearly talks a very good, positive game. His promise of this bombastic, high energy, “win at all costs” football is exactly what you want to hear and, in the first few weeks of the season, it looked like we were at least going to have a season of a hard working and energetic United team. The wins in Dingwall and in Motherwell both showing us what we could possibly expect from the season ahead. However, these last few weeks have been a disaster.

I really want Mellon and the players to succeed, but at the moment? A shower of shite.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

What I find astonishing is that Brechin scored 2 against them. Think our keeper touched the ball once today and they were barely in our half. 

Worth noting that Hearts needed a relatively late goal to beat Cowdenbeath today and looked utter mince in the second half against ICT.

We could and probably should have scored a lot more than two as well.  There was a huge difference between Saints and United. I was actually fairly optimistic about today’s game based on the amount of problems we caused United on Wednesday.

5 hours ago, MacArab said:

Played off the fucking park by a mid table League 1 team, playing their first competitive game in 7 months.

Dominated in possession and barely registered a shot on goal, and lucky it wasn’t more than 0-1

That lot need to take a right good look at themselves.

Absolutely fucking rancid......

Mid table? Before the season began I was thinking if we could finish 8th , I would be chuffed.

I did try to watch the game today but gave up after 15 minutes of a screen with the club badges on, thinking it was my fu*I up.

I'm assuming PD played well, mixed in with Utd being crap?

54 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Mid table? Before the season began I was thinking if we could finish 8th , I would be chuffed.

I did try to watch the game today but gave up after 15 minutes of a screen with the club badges on, thinking it was my fu*I up.

I'm assuming PD played well, mixed in with Utd being crap?

You are the master of understatement.

I thought your team were excellent today, and we were not even close to being as good as crap.

Like our game against Livi, the only team that played any decent football today were not wearing Tangerine & Black.

For the (few) players, given a start today looking to stake a claim for a start against Aberdeen; how do you think it went?

Fair play to the Blue Toon. Beautifully taken goal, which was well deserved based on balance of play, and as I mentioned in my post, we were lucky not to lose by more...

Just pissed off that they eventually got the stream working as I ended up wasting 70 minutes of my life watching that turgid shite, when I could have been painting a fence or something.

Betfred is as good as fucked imo, and we need to hope our new boys bring something special in the weeks ahead, and focus on  staying mid table, which is about as good as we could possibly hope for this season I think.

13 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Is he though? 

You always get stuff like that with a new manager. Every club has its fair share of morons.

He needed to improve centre back and he has indeed brought in a total haddy. The winger hes brought in is also not much better than what he had before. Hoti? That looks like an Asghar signing as does Fuchs who is hopefully an improvement on both Harkes the friendly Ghost and Butcher. If not I think the heat should be turned up on Fat Tony a fair bit too.

I've also (as have alot of folk I've spoken to) been saying alot of what you are and have been for far longer. We are rubbish. Our squad is rubbish. The lack of signings was alarming but at the same time I would have been just as worried had he signed 11 players ala Neilson.

We didn't necessarily need a striker like McNulty but ill take him if he's going to score goals from scraps along with Shankland because our defence and midfield are chronic. I've been banging on about our defence for years. Connolly is up there with Durnan and Donaldson, Reynolds is bang average at best now but is out best centre half by miles. Butcher isn't good enough for midfield at this level and needs to play next to Reynolds or be on the bench imo.

What i do like about Mellon and what, imo, makes him a step up is that he has managed to get wins at this level where I think Robbie probably would have shat the bed. Mellon has tried some different formations to get more out of these terrible players which Neilson wouldnt have done in a million years.

Sometimes its worked and others, well, you know...where as with Robbie it would be 4231 or 4411 every week with Shankland up front, Clark somewhere in behind then the rest just sitting back or looking lost with no obvious game plan.

The bulk of this squad struggled massively against Alloa and Arbroath. Why people are surprised at how this season is going baffles me. Mellon has also made a few howlers, his substitutions have been poor and hes not really given the likes of Mochrie much of a shot when he couldn't do any worse than the usual suspects. 

Of course I'm worried. I hope he gets it right and we stay up. He's obviously still trying to find his best team and figure out who's going to make it but he needs to get that worked out quicker. If not it'll be the usual and he'll be gone soon enough. Either way its a relegation battle this season and 10th will be a success.