The Dundee United Thread 22/23

He certainly has good pedigree. Must be from one of Tony's "contacts". Hopefully it works out.

El Deportivo Alavés y el Dundee United han alcanzado un acuerdo para el traspaso de Jeando Fuchs.

Tras permanecer durante la temporada 2019-2020 cedido en el Maccabi Haifa, el centrocampista camerunés se embarca ahora en el proyecto dirigido por Mickey Mellon.

Desde el club albiazul deseamos a Fuchs la mejor de las suertes en su nueva etapa en Escocia.

Mila esker, Fuchs!

Seems it's a permanent deal too.

12 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Hopefully he's good. But I have two words of warning : Alphonse Tchami

Hey Mvondo, what about these two words: Mvondo Atangana?

2 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Jean Jacques Misse-Misse. So bad they named him twice. 

Aye, Jean-Jaques Misse-Misse.

Both born in the same city as Jeando Fuchs, unlike the fellow Cameroonian Wato Kuaté, who at least scored a goal.

Yea mvondo, what a legend.

He almost scored that one time.

To be fair thus guy seems to have a better pedigree than those guys did iirc. Played for some decent clubs in the not too distant past. I'm hopeful it'll work out well as long as we have some signings in other positions on the go.

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

23 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Jean Jacques Misse-Misse. So bad they named him twice. 

I sponsored Misse-Misse’s first team shirt.  Not one of my better decisions.

He left mid season and I was asked to change my sponsorship to Julian Alsford who joined soon after!

5 hours ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Hopefully he's good. But I have two words of warning : Alphonse Tchami

Alternatively, another French-African midfielder who we signed at the age of 22 who didn't work out too bad... Morgaro

Gomis came from Cowdenbeath via Lewes and Barnet and worked out brilliantly.

Tchami came via Hertha Berlin and Boca Juniors and didn't.

Impossible to guess how these signings will turn out, however, I'm still cautiously optimistic looking at his history.

Edited by ArabFC

Yea mvondo, what a legend.
He almost scored that one time.

To be fair thus guy seems to have a better pedigree than those guys did iirc. Played for some decent clubs in the not too distant past. I'm hopeful it'll work out well as long as we have some signings in other positions on the go.

Tchami had a fairly impressive CV when he arrived at Tannadice - 50+ caps for Cameroon, with spells at Odense, Boca and Hertha before United.

Misse-Misse not so much, although I think he had a decent career in Belgium after he left us.

13 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Tchami had a fairly impressive CV when he arrived at Tannadice - 50+ caps for Cameroon, with spells at Odense, Boca and Hertha before United.

Misse-Misse not so much, although I think he had a decent career in Belgium after he left us.

Yea, my memory must be failing on that one. As I remembered it Tchami had played with some good teams but not for a good while. That sounds incorrect now after seeing yours and arabfcs posts.

The only two things I remember about Mvondo was his legs were the size of tree trunks and he about ruptured the bar at Dens from what seemed like 40 yards out with an overhead kick so hard it was unnatural.

Remember thinking we'd signed some World Cup super Star with Tchami but we know how that panned out.

Misse-Misse surprised me in that he had a decent career after us. He was stinking.

On 25/08/2020 at 14:55, ArabFC said:

I paid £5 to watch 45mins of a 2nd XI and I'm actually glad I did.

We had a back 3 of Graham (19), Cooney (18) and Smith (16) and I liked what I saw, especially from the youngster Kerr Smith. 

It's a bit weird to see teenagers passing it (and quite successfully) out from the back against a Premier League side when our default option is to punt it at first team level.

^The Sheff Utd friendly.

Gone are the days when we're ever gonna see any real talented youngsters at Tannadice - the bigger clubs just pick them off before they even get a chance to make their debuts... 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1616119/exclusive-highly-rated-young-dundee-united-defender-kerr-smith-to-join-aston-villa/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Edited by ArabFC

39 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

^The Sheff Utd friendly.

Gone are the days when we're ever gonna see any real talented youngsters at Tannadice - the bigger clubs just pick them off before they even get a chance to make their debuts... 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1616119/exclusive-highly-rated-young-dundee-united-defender-kerr-smith-to-join-aston-villa/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

I can see why some clubs cut the academy. 

Ach well.

Chances are he'll be back up here playing part time at 20 having played zero first team games for Villa and no further along in his career. Either that or at Wycome on Tyne Wanderers  Athletic Super Mare in the Cola Cube League trying to rebuild from the bottom.

The loss of Smith is on a par with the loss of Freeman and .. whatsisname, now at Waterford .. Coote. If he turns into a player then we'll get some reward down the line but the loss of a 15 year old who may or may not make it is no reason to question the wisdom of investing in the Academy. The time to question the Academy is when we're not seeing useful players breaking into the first team squad. Losing the odd player is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. Robson, Chalmers, Appere, Neilson have all made an impact. Glass, Mochrie, Meekison look to be on course to contribute and there will be others below them.

We lost John Collins at 15 and picked up Stuart Armstrong at 17. There's a churn at that age. It means nothing.