The Dundee United Thread 22/23

16 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Not so much unpopular, as just plain daft imho. At his very very best for us, he's been nothing more than decent. And his touch? We'll just disagree on that one!

I'm perhaps guilty of judging Harkes' touch relative to Butcher, Powers and Pawlett - in my eyes he is far better on the ball that any of them (even though Pawlett started this season very strongly).  

13 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Scott Robertson (pre injury)? Box to box picking the ball up deep and building moves then getting into the box to get on the end of things?

I'd argue he is closest to Scott Robertson.  But Robertson had a great eye for goal, and that is the one thing that Harkes desperately needs to work on - with the exception of that goal in the 6-2 derby (which took a very helpful deflection), he just doesn't hit the target anywhere near as ferociously or frequently as possible.

12 hours ago, stumigoo said:

We probably have enough to be in and around 8th or 9th, which given the current uncertainty isn’t a disaster.

I'd say that would be a great success in our first season back - especially given the fact that we haven't really signed anyone (that may change shortly)...

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

I'd argue he is closest to Scott Robertson.  But Robertson had a great eye for goal, and that is the one thing that Harkes desperately needs to work on - with the exception of that goal in the 6-2 derby (which took a very helpful deflection), he just doesn't hit the target anywhere near as ferociously or frequently as possible.

Robertson got involved in everything though. Harkes barely tackles and dosent do anywhere near the gritty work that Robertson did. He runs around but flutters on the edge of everything like hes too scared to get involved. Actually id say hes more like the husk Robertson was after his injury.

Hope Burns is right this time and its a signal Butcher is going into defence. 

On 21/09/2020 at 16:20, PartyFears2 said:

“The striker coming in will be McInulty or another... He didn't say name

Midfielder coming from abroad who he says is quality”

Don’t shoot the messenger 

I assume this is the midfielder who is ‘quality’ (we’ll see..)

and I doubt McNulty will happen now with his recent exploits (allegedly) 

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t mind Butcher doing the dirty work, he just needs to be more clever about it.

I'm trying not to defend Butcher too much, but if he's managing to be a dirty b*****d without getting sent off, that'd perhaps indicate he is being quite clever. Guys like that always play in the edge.

12 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I get that Butcher is there to do a job but I think the reason he commits so many fouls is because he is often out of position when he should be closely marking someone, meaning he has to dive in to make amends.

That goal we conceded against St Johnstone when he was standing on the edge of the box whilst Liam Craig just sauntered in to score was criminal. He should be anticipating Connolly's dreadful mistakes by now.

We need better.

He's not a God.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

How we could do with a player like Robertson (pre-injury) now.  Harkes isn't even remotely close to that level.

I'm cautiously positive about this Fuchs kid. He started regularly at a young age for Sochaux who I'd wager are a better team than us.

Could solve two problems at once if it releases Butcher to replace (take your pick).

Edited by ArabFC

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Is that Chalmers with the run before Shanklands goal on Saturday? 

Absolute beauty whoever it was just seen it on the highlights. Lovely bit of skill and pace. 

Sporle also deserves credit, as a player he has a bit of composure and that showed for the assist.  The Accies defending, however, was laughable; Shankland in the middle of the box 6 yards out totally unmarked.