The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I’ve made it fairly clear that I don’t rate Reynolds (or Connolly) but that goal today is beyond a joke.

Amateur fitba players would be embarrassed by that ‘defending’.

The worry is, from what I’ve seen of him so far, Edwards doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade.

Do you not think he’ll be embarrassed by it ? 

Up in till that point Reynolds was good and has been decent this season, knee jerk reaction as usual 

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

I reluctantly agree.  By my calculations, he has only played under 100 league games since he left us 5 years ago.

Also, we do not have a good record with players coming back at the end of their career (has there ever been a successful one?).  Off the top of my head, I think that the reputations of Craig Brewster, Morgaro Gomis, Willo Flood, David Goodwillie and the aforementioned Mark Wilson have been slightly dampened by their second spells... let's just keep Ciftci as the enigmatic, mythical creature that scored that goal at Ibrox! 

Well we had to make room for £6,000 a week Derek McInnes...

He scored twice yesterday - I would imagine that if he does indeed enter "free agency" in November there might be quite a few suitors in the MLS... 

Sporle looked excellent yesterday, I thought - playing with real confidence and his goal was really well taken.  My only concern is that he was interviewed for DUTV after the game and still seems to speak almost no English - surely this is going to hold him back?

Agree that Chalmers was solid yesterday and, to be fair to him, around that 60th minute he almost lost a foot to Tait's tackle/assault (I look forward to Sportsound dissecting it for the next week or so like they did with Edwards last week...).  I liked his corner for the first goal, too - it seemed to catch the defence unaware as it was not your average in-swinger.

I just watched back the highlights and it doesn't look any better today - there is barely even a challenge from the striker.  Surely worth trying Butcher in there with Powers or Glass coming into the midfield?

To be fair he spoke absolutely no English at all when he joined. He seems.to have a decent grasp of it, not fluent but OK. Like most things, some people will never get much more than that. For someone that's spoken none of it at all for 23 years to that after 1 is OK.

For balance I saw Bielsa give an interview on MOTD yesterday with a translator, it's not holding him back

Love that view of Shankland’s goal. As soon as he hits it he’s off and running to celebrate. Goodwin was saying he felt St Mirren gave Shanks far too much time & space, but there’s a defender right in front of him. Shankland’s 18 yds out facing away from goal - it’s just a brilliant finish! 

43 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Do you not think he’ll be embarrassed by it ? 

Up in till that point Reynolds was good and has been decent this season, knee jerk reaction as usual 

Hardly knee jerk when I've been critical about him consistently, while he has apparently been 'decent'.

I wasn't bemoaning him not being embarrassed about it FFS.

16 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

To be fair he spoke absolutely no English at all when he joined. He seems.to have a decent grasp of it, not fluent but OK. Like most things, some people will never get much more than that. 

You're right, that was a bit harsh - and I'm sure that he understands a lot of what is being said even if he does not interview perfectly.  His English is certainly better than my Spanish etc.

I hope he gets a run of games - I love watching him run at defenders. 

3 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

As soon as he hits it he’s off and running to celebrate.

I noticed that yesterday - he is basically celebrating before he lands back down on the ground.

20 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

To be fair he spoke absolutely no English at all when he joined. He seems.to have a decent grasp of it, not fluent but OK. Like most things, some people will never get much more than that. For someone that's spoken none of it at all for 23 years to that after 1 is OK.

For balance I saw Bielsa give an interview on MOTD yesterday with a translator, it's not holding him back

There are plenty of Scottish players who have a poorer grasp of English than Sporle.

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Also, we do not have a good record with players coming back at the end of their career (has there ever been a successful one?).  Off the top of my head, I think that the reputations of Craig Brewster, Morgaro Gomis, Willo Flood, David Goodwillie and the aforementioned Mark Wilson have been slightly dampened by their second spells... let's just keep Ciftci as the enigmatic, mythical creature that scored that goal at Ibrox! 

Craig Brewster was about 40 when he returned - nobody was moaning about him not being as good as first time around.

Willo Flood was brilliant in his second spell (technically his 3rd), not so much his third (technically his 4th).

Morgaro Gomis was never given a chance by our mug of a manager and went on to be brilliant for Hearts.

David Goodwillie had other issues.

Weirdly nobody seems to be put off by the 'no-return' rule when it comes to Safranko, yet Ciftci was a far better player.

Edited by ArabFC

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

Love that view of Shankland’s goal. As soon as he hits it he’s off and running to celebrate. Goodwin was saying he felt St Mirren gave Shanks far too much time & space, but there’s a defender right in front of him. Shankland’s 18 yds out facing away from goal - it’s just a brilliant finish! 

Goodwin was talking through his arse, that is just an incredible finish.

If a Celtic or Sevco player had scored that the Scottish football ‘journalists’ would be creaming themselves.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

You're right, that was a bit harsh - and I'm sure that he understands a lot of what is being said even if he does not interview perfectly.  His English is certainly better than my Spanish etc.

I hope he gets a run of games - I love watching him run at defenders. 

I noticed that yesterday - he is basically celebrating before he lands back down on the ground.

No worries. 

Same here, although he struggled at first you could see he had a natural ability to take the ball and drift past players. As a player I do like him and think he deserves more game time. Definitely more suited, in Scottish game, to midfield than left back.

He seems to love football. Noticed that in Ross County game at the second goal celebrating like mad. Done it a few times.last season too. Seems to celebrate the teams goals, like he scored them himself! 

As an aside, I thought he had a decent game also against County. Got himself into similar positions as yesterday and it was his blocked shot that led to Pawlett's goal.

***Just realised the celebration comment was about Shankland***

Edited by Tannadeechee

I think there is a player in Sporle. Probably not a LB but there is something.

All defences are capable of giving up a shocker. We seem to do at least one a week though. I don't know how you sort it short of signing two quality CBs which we aren't going to do.

From what I have seen I would expect us to be around 6th to 8th. Whilst we focus on our own team I haven't been impressed by anyone we have played.

I would be going mental if United conceded a goal like the second yesterday where the opposition get 4 unopposed shots on goal in a minute.

I like Sporle too.

He could have scored more yesterday and was getting into great positions to support the other attackers. Very composed finish with his weaker foot.

It's good to have someone that is a bit unpredictable. If he can push on and have a consistent run of form he will prove a handful for the opposition.

I believe. 🇦🇷

50 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

No probs mate, maybe just after a win maybe add something positive to your posts 👍🏼 

Ok. How about... his ginger stubble glows radiantly as he rushes back majestically, then some other stuff happens?

Hnet-image.gif

Edited by ArabFC

To me, Sporle looks like an old fashioned left midfielder. Tidy ball player, not quite fast enough or tricky enough to be a pacy winger but not good enough defensively to be a full back or a wing back. Kind of like the early Barry Robson without the delivery.

Quite happy for him to get a run of games as he's the only senior player that can play there and the more he plays, yadda yadda...

On the Reynolds thing, I dont mind him but it was shown yesterday that brain farts will not go unpunished for the most part like they did against part time posties and joiners down in the league that shall not be named. Hes still the most reliable option by fucking miles out of Connolly and Edwards (so far - but I'm not holding my breath) sadly. 

I still think we are missing a creative player in the middle, a winger with delivery and a dominating centre half. Quite liked Bolton playing right back as he gets forward well.