The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Would certainly be better than Darko Bodul.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

One of the benefits of growing old is forgetting the likes of Bodul, until some c**t reminds me.

Darko Bodul simply wasn't properly utilised by either management team in his season at the club: he was a decent player, very skilful, and went on after United to play for three years in the top Russian League. Presently scoring goals in the Belarusian top division, he was one of several players in the relegation season who played some of the worst football of their personal careers at United.

46 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Darko Bodul simply wasn't properly utilised by either management team in his season at the club: he was a decent player, very skilful, and went on after United to play for three years in the top Russian League. Presently scoring goals in the Belarusian top division, he was one of several players in the relegation season who played some of the worst football of their personal careers at United.

Bring. Him. Home.

Sixth spot after eight games in which Shankland has only featured twice is a good start.

This is shaping up as a league of four and a league of eight; Mellon should go with whatever formation he wants against the four but today showed that 4-4-2 should be the formation against the other seven.

I still think we need to improve the squad, particularly the centre-half position.  Delighted to see Sporle getting a chance as a wide player and good to see Glass getting his first start of the season.

I’ve questioned Mellon’s commitment to Chalmers but I saw today why; that said he was tiring from about the sixtieth minute and should have been subbied earlier.

Experience of the last few seasons has made me wary of placing too much faith in managers but maybe Mellon is the guy to cement our place back in top flight football.

I think I’ll send a thank you card to Ann Budge!

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Sixth spot after eight games in which Shankland has only featured twice is a good start.

This is shaping up as a league of four and a league of eight; Mellon should go with whatever formation he wants against the four but today showed that 4-4-2 should be the formation against the other seven.

I still think we need to improve the squad, particularly the centre-half position.  Delighted to see Sporle getting a chance as a wide player and good to see Glass getting his first start of the season.

I’ve questioned Mellon’s commitment to Chalmers but I saw today why; that said he was tiring from about the sixtieth minute and should have been subbied earlier.

Experience of the last few seasons has made me wary of placing too much faith in managers but maybe Mellon is the guy to cement our place back in top flight football.

We have to keep in mind he knows what the players can do better than us, must be frustrating to see them doing great in training and not doing much during game.

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah, she’s done us a real favour.

I’ve made it fairly clear that I don’t rate Reynolds (or Connolly) but that goal today is beyond a joke.

Amateur fitba players would be embarrassed by that ‘defending’.

The worry is, from what I’ve seen of him so far, Edwards doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade.

On 17/09/2020 at 18:06, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Going by Ciftci's form since leaving United, I wouldn't want him back.

I reluctantly agree.  By my calculations, he has only played under 100 league games since he left us 5 years ago.

Also, we do not have a good record with players coming back at the end of their career (has there ever been a successful one?).  Off the top of my head, I think that the reputations of Craig Brewster, Morgaro Gomis, Willo Flood, David Goodwillie and the aforementioned Mark Wilson have been slightly dampened by their second spells... let's just keep Ciftci as the enigmatic, mythical creature that scored that goal at Ibrox! 

On 17/09/2020 at 21:05, Aladdin said:

Was it not Ian McCall that shifted him to RB? Another thing to blame that c*nt for.

Well we had to make room for £6,000 a week Derek McInnes...

On 18/09/2020 at 02:14, ArabAuslander said:

Out of contract in November apparently.

He scored twice yesterday - I would imagine that if he does indeed enter "free agency" in November there might be quite a few suitors in the MLS... 

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Sporle looked excellent yesterday, I thought - playing with real confidence and his goal was really well taken.  My only concern is that he was interviewed for DUTV after the game and still seems to speak almost no English - surely this is going to hold him back?

Agree that Chalmers was solid yesterday and, to be fair to him, around that 60th minute he almost lost a foot to Tait's tackle/assault (I look forward to Sportsound dissecting it for the next week or so like they did with Edwards last week...).  I liked his corner for the first goal, too - it seemed to catch the defence unaware as it was not your average in-swinger.

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I’ve made it fairly clear that I don’t rate Reynolds (or Connolly) but that goal today is beyond a joke.

I just watched back the highlights and it doesn't look any better today - there is barely even a challenge from the striker.  Surely worth trying Butcher in there with Powers or Glass coming into the midfield?