The Dundee United Thread 22/23

52 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Because all those managers were fucking shite. Particularly the one that sadly punted Watson to bring his mate, the 35 year old crock, Mark Wilson you mentioned. 

Mark Wilson was signed in the summer of 2013, and had left by some point in the middle of the 14/15 season before Watson was sent off on loan to Hibs. Ryan McGowan was his replacement, who was also pretty bad for us. IDK if Wilson was meant to replace Watson but it didn't happen. 

Controversial opinion but I didn't rate Dillon as a footballer. He seemed great to have around the place though.

Punting Watson was a mistake.

Ryan McGowan was one of those footballers who looks like they are being played "out of position" no matter where they are on the pitch.

14 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Mark Wilson was signed in the summer of 2013, and had left by some point in the middle of the 14/15 season before Watson was sent off on loan to Hibs. Ryan McGowan was his replacement, who was also pretty bad for us. IDK if Wilson was meant to replace Watson but it didn't happen. 

Ah, my bad. Got them mixed up. They were both pish. Don't think McGowan was as bad as Wilson. Remember him being pretty poor positionally but loved a tackle. Wilson was just a total husk of a player.

That was after the Tim Two and McNafortune spunked that cash on McGowan, Dixon et al was it not? Such a weird and depressing period.

Whilst I’m known as a Dillon fan, it does have to be said that for about 5 years he was as a dependable a fullback as you could hope for at this level.

People’s judgement of him tends to be clouded by the form and performances from 2013/14 onwards.

Can see why folk didn’t rate Dillon, he never really excelled at anything in particular, but he was a reliable performer during his first 5 or 6 seasons, which is a significant amount of time.

15 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Controversial opinion but I didn't rate Dillon as a footballer. He seemed great to have around the place though.

Punting Watson was a mistake.

Ryan McGowan was one of those footballers who looks like they are being played "out of position" no matter where they are on the pitch.

I loved Dillon. He loved the club and gave his all for years. Just a shame his all, in his last few seasons, wasn't very good.

Watson was the best right back for us for years. Who was the best RB before him? Swiss Mick was alright but not an out and out full back and was scared to run forwards. Did boot Lafferty up in the sky which was glorious though and gets legendary status for that alone.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Ah, my bad. Got them mixed up. They were both pish. Don't think McGowan was as bad as Wilson. Remember him being pretty poor positionally but loved a tackle. Wilson was just a total husk of a player.

That was after the Tim Two and McNafortune spunked that cash on McGowan, Dixon et al was it not? Such a weird and depressing period.

It was all in the January of 2015. McGowan, Anier, Muirhead and a zombie resembling Paul Dixon came in while Conor Townsend got his loan spell cut short, Watson got loaned out, and Armstrong and GMS were both bought by Celtic. fucking disastrous window looking back.

21 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Whilst I’m known as a Dillon fan, it does have to be said that for about 5 years he was as a dependable a fullback as you could hope for at this level.

People’s judgement of him tends to be clouded by the form and performances from 2013/14 onwards.

Can see why folk didn’t rate Dillon, he never really excelled at anything in particular, but he was a reliable performer during his first 5 or 6 seasons, which is a significant amount of time.

Yup.

In his first few years Dillon was a great right-back for us. There was a period of a couple of years where if Daly hadn’t headed home from a Dillon cross at Tannadice one week I’d be pretty miffed!

And usually this was the only goal, as under Levein a 1-0 lead at Tannadice was pretty much game over.

As a centre-back he didn’t quite cut it for me, albeit he’d get a game ahead of the current mob.

Edited by ArabFC

40 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

It was all in the January of 2015. McGowan, Anier, Muirhead and a zombie resembling Paul Dixon came in while Conor Townsend got his loan spell cut short, Watson got loaned out, and Armstrong and GMS were both bought by Celtic. fucking disastrous window looking back.

There are points my mind has blanked out as a coping strategy during this period and its therefore become a blur.

All i remember is Andy Robertson was brilliant, Gauld was a wee genius, some other players were great. Then all i get is something about a baldy sex dungeon, three charlatans, whats the fucking point, incoherent frantic ramblings and some mumbling about a masters degree. Then we got promoted. Then I usually wake up in a cold sweat after being sick all over myself.

9 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

...letting Keith Watson go really was an atrocious piece of business.

Sending him out on loan to Hibs was an even stranger decision than letting him go.  Despite his woeful injury record, we should never have let him go unless we had a solid replacement lined up - and I was never convinced that Ryan McGowan was a right-back (when compared to some of the left-backs at that time, it is amazing our scouts couldn't find anyone to improve on McGowan).  I said that at the time and it hasn't looked any more sensible with hindsight. 

9 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Mark Wilson was signed in the summer of 2013, and had left by some point in the middle of the 14/15 season...

A quick search of the Arab Archive confirms that Mark Wilson had just turned 29 when he re-signed for us - I was sure (and he definitely looked like) he was in his mid-30s and cashing in one last contract!

9 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Dillon was brilliant for the first 4 or 5 years after he signed and when Levein did go back to basics and make us hard to beat, he was a huge part of that.  But he lost any pace that he had, so was never going to be an effective full-back after that.  I'd probably still pick him ahead of Mark Connolly, right enough...

9 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Watson was the best right back for us for years. Who was the best RB before him?

Mark Wilson, 2002-2006.  In a dreadful team he was absolutely excellent.

9 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

...a zombie resembling Paul Dixon came in while Conor Townsend got his loan spell cut short.

With all of the other dreadful decisions being made around that time, I had completely forgotten about Paul Dixon/Conor Townsend (who, incidentally, is now playing in the Premiership).  A terrible swap.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Mark Wilson, 2002-2006.  In a dreadful team he was absolutely excellent.

Technically still wrong! Didn't start out as a right back!! 😋

Started out as a central midfielder, got injured (shock  horror) and when he came back he was moved to right back. He was brilliant but i still hate him for only signing up with a contract with a tiny release clause and still getting a big chunk of that for himself. Was it not something like £500k and he got 25% of that or something?

And ill never forget his sending off for the Derby non hand ball. Still gets me angry.

So its probably Jamie McCunnie for that spell... 

And Wilsons body was in its 40s when he signed for us after the injuries took their toll. His real age was 29. So thats about 35 when you average it out so it works for me.

The fact that Connor Townsend is in the Premiership shocks me more than Barry Douglas being in the same league. Just shows you, eh? Maybe there's hope for Bolton yet...

Edited by mishtergrolsch

55 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Just had to Google that to make sure you weren't joking. 

Wow. 

I didnt even think he was good enough for the Scottish Premiership never mind the English one tbqhwy. And hes only 5'6. Thats at least a foot below the average height of small nippy wingers down there!

Edited by mishtergrolsch

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Technically still wrong! Didn't start out as a right back!! 😋

Started out as a central midfielder, got injured (shock  horror) and when he came back he was moved to right back. He was brilliant but i still hate him for only signing up with a contract with a tiny release clause and still getting a big chunk of that for himself. Was it not something like £500k and he got 25% of that or something?

The fact that Connor Townsend is in the Premiership shocks me more than Barry Douglas being in the same league. Just shows you, eh? Maybe there's hope for Bolton yet...

In my defence, my first season ticket was in 2003-2004 (we had just signed Mark Kerr, Barry Robson and Collin Samuel - I was sure I was buying in just before we won our first league in two decades...), and I'm sure by that stage he had already been moved to right-back.  He was a bright light in a very, very dull couple of years at Tannadice.  You are right about the contract - it would appear we went as far as to release a statement to justify the sale:

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/1960/MARK-WILSON-JOINS-CELTIC.html

Barry Douglas has been one of the best players in the English Championship this past few seasons (my boss is a Wolves fan and still can't believe he was sold to Leeds).  We perhaps didn't see the best of him at Tannadice - he never got a proper run at it with the way Paul Dixon was playing - but I do remember us playing Spartak in the Europa League and he kept a 20 million winger in his pocket.

3 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Just had to Google that to make sure you weren't joking.

West Brom paid (wait for it) £756,000 for him...  but to be fair to him, he had flashes of quality when he was at United - but the team around him was in absolute free-fall.  We could have had anyone playing in those few seasons, and they would have looked dreadful.

Edit: this is factually incorrect, as he was there in the first half of the 2014-2015 when we were flying and left during the dreaded January 2015 transfer market.  So his stint with us pre-dated our free-fall.  Either way, we didn't see much quality from him.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Dees looking to sign Cifci cause he's had a contract dispute with his club. Which means the lad is available 😁

He's only been there for 3 weeks - surely even Nadir Ciftci can't get into a contract dispute that quickly!?

Edited by arab_joe
Correction

Going by Ciftci's form since leaving United, I wouldn't want him back. He didn't set the heather on fire at Motherwell a few years ago, and players returning to the club rarely ever works out.

He needs a fresh challenge which he can really sink his teeth into.

16 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Going by Ciftci's form since leaving United, I wouldn't want him back. He didn't set the heather on fire at Motherwell a few years ago, and players returning to the club rarely ever works out.

This is all true but I'd still love to have him back.

35 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg