The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Neilson is obviously going to get a bit of criticism, most of it is muscle memory from the last two years with his namesake.

Someone with a name which combines Lewis Capaldi with Robbie Neilson is always going to cause a certain level of cognitive dissonance.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

According to twitter he scored and rattled the bar in our 2-1 loss to Raith today. 

Prepare yourselves. 

Wondering if anyone knows if it was any but pure reserves playing in the little practice vs Raith?

20 hours ago, arab_joe said:

You don't rate Liam Smith?  I thought he was excellent last season, easily our most consistent defender and our best right-back since Keith Watson - if he had even one decent centre-back alongside him he could be a solid Premiership level player.

Yes it is, and yes it will be...

Not really, no. I thought he was fairly average last season.

The highlighted bit dosent really make much of a case for him either. Name one right back that we've had since big Watson left (Feb 2014!!!) that was actually a right back who Smith is better than.  Except Ryan McGowan.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Name one right back that we've had since big Watson left (Feb 2014!!!) that was actually a right back who Smith is better than.  Except Ryan McGowan.

A semantical argument over who was or wasn't a right-back is pretty meaningless. Whomever was filling that position was generally shit!

As positional priorities go, upgrading the right-back slot is waaaaaaaaay down the list of priorities.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

A semantical argument over who was or wasn't a right-back is pretty meaningless. Whomever was filling that position was generally shit!

As positional priorities go, upgrading the right-back slot is waaaaaaaaay down the list of priorities.

That was kind of my point - but I was, probably wrongly, trying to cut the non right backs a bit of slack.

They've all been shite but that dosent mean Smith is a good one.

However the final point you make is correct in that hes not the worst player in the starting 11 which, to be fair, hasn't been suggested by anyone.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Name one right back that we've had since big Watson left (Feb 2014!!!) that was actually a right back who Smith is better than.  Except Ryan McGowan.

That's a fair (and, now that I think about it, absolutely scandalous) point - and perhaps explains why I think so highly of Liam Smith.  So used to seeing a centre-back or centre-midfielder at right-back that Liam Smith looks incredible.  Why did no manager in that period try to bring in a right-back (except for a 35 year old Mark Wilson)!?

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Very true.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Also, are you all forgetting Sean Dillon for a particular reason?

I don't think I'll ever forget Sean Dillon - a club legend.

But I would consider him a centre-back that was pushed out to play right-back.  He may well have been signed as a right-back and played there (and even left back...) when Levein insisted on playing four huge defenders, but I don't think I saw Dillon overlap a winger after about 2008.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Bored, so created a Tier List.

I don’t expect anyone to agree.

5625DC5F-D812-402C-9B89-B7D90B4A19D6.jpeg

Not sure about S,A,B, etc but otherwise good effort.  I’d move Clark up one, I think he’s under rated by many Arabs.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

When I glanced at that picture at the top of your list, I thought you were rating P&B posters!

Looks fairly accurate to me.

Yeah there’s an ‘S’ beside your avatar; I wonder what that can stand for. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

That's a fair (and, now that I think about it, absolutely scandalous) point - and perhaps explains why I think so highly of Liam Smith.  So used to seeing a centre-back or centre-midfielder at right-back that Liam Smith looks incredible.  Why did no manager in that period try to bring in a right-back (except for a 35 year old Mark Wilson)!?

Because all those managers were fucking shite. Particularly the one that sadly punted Watson to bring his mate, the 35 year old crock, Mark Wilson you mentioned. 

32 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Because all those managers were fucking shite. Particularly the one that sadly punted Watson to bring his mate, the 35 year old crock, Mark Wilson you mentioned. 

That decision rather got overshadowed by all the other bad decisions that particular manager made, but letting Keith Watson go really was an atrocious piece of business.