The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Extremely harsh... he only made his professional debut 6 weeks ago.  What were you expecting?

More a case of what I wasn’t expecting.  I wasn’t expecting a 17 year old who only made his professional debut six weeks ago to be playing in in the Premiership in a position that he’s not familiar with.  More so when Mellon had other formation and/or selection options that would not have put him in that position.

If people want to take my words as writing off a guy who’s hardly played so be it; I said he’s out of his depth at this level and I stand by that, but given his age and lack of experience it’s unfair for him to be put in that position.

I am also surprised by the Arabs on here who seem to think our squad is sufficient.  I have my doubts.

BTW I agree with your point about Glass.  Unless there’s something going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of his lack of inclusion makes no sense, particularly since Mellon is willing to give other young players a chance.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

More a case of what I wasn’t expecting.  I wasn’t expecting a 17 year old who only made his professional debut six weeks ago to be playing in in the Premiership in a position that he’s not familiar with.  More so when Mellon had other formation and/or selection options that would not have put him in that position.

If people want to take my words as writing off a guy who’s hardly played so be it; I said he’s out of his depth at this level and I stand by that, but given his age and lack of experience it’s unfair for him to be put in that position.

Maybe my brain is playing funny, but I'm pretty damn sure we played 3 at the back at Ibrox. He's a centre-back, so... ?

The kid has great promise, but no teenager defender makes the step-up without making mistakes

Freeman looks pretty poor tbh. Again he's young and hasn't played many games at this level. I really don't rate Smith at all but hes a better option than Freeman.

The squad was really poor last season and barring Shanklands eleventy hundred goals bailing us out many a time there would have been arses going like a rabbits nose come COVID. We've added an unconvincing defensive jobber (no, I didn't spell jobby wrong but hes not looking far off it) and a winger who has looked average at best so far. So im not surprised we look a bit pish against good teams and awful at times against the really good teams. 

If the goal is purely survival this season then its going to be shit. Being cannon fodder for teams like the Fermers, Aberdeen and Hibs won't be fun to watch, never mind slogging draws out at home against St Mirren and Ross County etc. But thats where I think this squad is heading. A good creative midfielder,  a solid centre half and a decent winger would go a long way to making this season a decent one. There is no supply to Shankland and thats fucking criminal. Fix that and the pressure comes off the defence.

My guess about Glass would be hes not getting played because he's built like the gable end of a fag paper. Our manager is used to managing in the English lower leagues where you need to be either rapid, fucking huge or both. Glass, I don't think, is either of these.

6 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Is he worth a short contract? At least he'd be training and playing (mostly) on grass.

Any player that can't train/play on modern AG pitches is basically fcuked!

Would make Osman Sow look like superman.

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Any player that can't train/play on modern AG pitches is basically fcuked!

Would make Osman Sow look like superman.

I have a feeling a big, fat, ex agent, Zombie supporting influencer at Tannadice thinks big Osman already is. Osman has been training with us and is in the squad for a bounce game today. Allegedly. 

I cant wait to see his legs buckle under the weight of the mask he has to wear at Riverside Tesco.

Maybe Sow and the physio are good pals now and they want him to stick about to keep the physio happy?

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I have a feeling a big, fat, ex agent, Zombie supporting influencer at Tannadice thinks big Osman already is. Osman has been training with us and is in the squad for a bounce game today. Allegedly. 

I cant wait to see his legs buckle under the weight of the mask he has to wear at Riverside Tesco.

Maybe Sow and the physio are good pals now and they want him to stick about to keep the physio happy?

A big IF and it's a massive caveat laden IF Sow is actually fit and his head is in the right place he can be a useful squad player and offers something different up front. 

Praying for Pav get landed with Sow instead. 

Brutal. 

30 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

A big IF and it's a massive caveat laden IF Sow is actually fit and his head is in the right place he can be a useful squad player and offers something different up front. 

Dear God AK, please never post anything as distressing as that again.

17 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

BTW I agree with your point about Glass.  Unless there’s something going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of his lack of inclusion makes no sense, particularly since Mellon is willing to give other young players a chance.

I really hope we get to see Glass play in the next couple of weeks - we desperately need someone to get on the ball in midfield.  If he cannot get game time when we are missing a few players and are able to use 5 substitutes per game, he needs to out on loan to a Championship side before the start of their season. 

15 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I really don't rate Smith at all but hes a better option than Freeman.

If the goal is purely survival this season then its going to be shit. 

You don't rate Liam Smith?  I thought he was excellent last season, easily our most consistent defender and our best right-back since Keith Watson - if he had even one decent centre-back alongside him he could be a solid Premiership level player.

Yes it is, and yes it will be...

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Is he worth a short contract? At least he'd be training and playing (mostly) on grass.

If we can get him on a pay-per-play deal then I would be all for it.  A quick Wikipedia search tells me that Stokes has barely scored a goal since he left Hibs in January 2018 - barring a spell for Tractor in Azerbaijan - but if he is desperate to leave Livi then he might be cheap and be extremely motivated in at least the four games we have against Livi.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Osman has been training with us and is in the squad for a bounce game today. Allegedly. 

I'm sure that Robbie Neilson told Sow he could train with United until he was fully fit, despite the fact that his contract expired in May and would not be renewed.  We did a similar thing with a goalkeeper a couple of years ago, if memory serves.  Playing in a bounce game is hardly confirmation that he will be signed up and starting at the weekend...

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Praying for Pav get landed with Sow instead. 

Brutal. 

Brutal is a huge understatement.

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I could offer something different up front but it wouldn’t be a good idea to sign me.

Unless it was a straight choice between me and Sow...