The Dundee United Thread 22/23

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Dees seem to want us relegated before their season even starts.

Just popped into their thread to see how their swoop for midfield concrete bollard Charlie Adam was coming along. 

To my surprise I found the usual suspects trying to bask in hollow delight at United losing a match in the top flight against Sevco.

wtf-.jpg.1251f739b9f5bd44cc6e1a15534d3916.jpg

5 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Just popped into their thread to see how their swoop for midfield concrete bollard Charlie Adam was coming along. 

To my surprise I found the usual suspects trying to bask in hollow delight at United losing a match in the top flight against Sevco.

wtf-.jpg.1251f739b9f5bd44cc6e1a15534d3916.jpg

Just popped in here to see if you scored a shit load of goals with Lawrence being back.

No?

Shame.

It has to be one of the few games of football where I would like both clubs to lose.

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Just popped in here to see if you scored a shit load of goals with Lawrence being back.

No?

Shame.

It has to be one of the few games of football where I would like both clubs to lose.

You've been quiet recently, Johnny.

Hope you're well.

No?
Shame.
Fuckin hell. If you are gonna come into the thread for the big clubs, you need to work on your content

On 12/09/2020 at 17:26, mishtergrolsch said:

Pretty much the same as me. 

Thought Neilson did OK on the ball at times, breaking from deep but as there's no single midfield player in that squad capable of anything other than huff and puff busywork he hit a dead end.

Butcher was shown up as extremely limited today (particularly at the first goal), in fact they pretty much all were. Seigrist had a very good game and kept it down to 4 imo. And its unusual for me to compliment him!

Never expected anything other than a convincing defeat but we were swept aside so easily it made grim watching.

As we all know, that squad is poor but the additions Mellon has made so far arent exactly promising right now either.

Neilson is out of his depth as a defender at this level.  Given his age and lack of experience that is not surprising but it cannot be allowed to continue.

It is early days for Mellon but he has to be able to recognise weaknesses in the team and act accordingly.  Robbie Neilson was completely blind to Pawlett (who has been better since the start of the season, though poor yesterday) when he was playing badly; hope Mellon is not the same with players.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Neilson is out of his depth as a defender at this level.  Given his age and lack of experience that is not surprising but it cannot be allowed to continue.

Neilson looked fine against St Johnstone and excellent against Celtic.

He was awful, along with everyone else, on Saturday but he was no worse than Robson in the other fullback position.

He's also a centre back.

He shouldn't be playing every game but I don't think he can be declared out of his depth at this level just yet.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It is early days for Mellon but he has to be able to recognise weaknesses in the team and act accordingly.  Robbie Neilson was completely blind to Pawlett (who has been better since the start of the season, though poor yesterday) when he was playing badly; hope Mellon is not the same with players.

The guy isn't even old enough to get pished and hasn't played half a dozen games. Saying he's out of his depth at Ibrox against a *grits teeth* good The Rangers side could be said for every single player on our team including wonderboy Shankland yesterday.  The guy has to get used to playing first team games against older and more physical players. 

Im quite happy for Neilson to play now and again this season or even go on loan when we bring in a good centre back (But he'll probably be 27 by then)

Its the signings Mellon has brought in that are more worrying. Bolton looks a bit meh, which is a massive upgrade on McMullan tbf, and Edwards....well...he dosent look as bad as Brian McLean yet.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Was Neilson the boy who played on the right of your back 3 against us first game of the season? If so you can see he’s a young kid who was beaten a little too easily at times and was sold a couple of dummies. However he looked to have good potential stepping out with the ball and I mean it didn’t help he was having to bail Connolly out half the time!

You’ve got to be careful at this level with young defenders. We had to play Wallace Duffy last season for the first 10 games who’d never played a senior game and low and behold we were bottom with no wins before improving when he came out the time. You’re only slight issue is that your other defensive options don’t seem that solid.

You’ve had a decent start, but the rate of goals your conceding reminds me of us from the start of last season and the Ross County of the second half, both of those teams had trouble written over them. I’m sure Mellon will sort it out and if you can get Shankland fit that’s a start a starting step.

Cant believe the criticism of Neilson is starting already. Hes a great prospect and shouldn't be relied upon to hold our defence together whilst playing out of position.

I think we are missing Smith. Would like to see us back to a back 4 when hes available again.

On 12/09/2020 at 20:01, ArabFC said:

Butcher is clearly terrified of getting the ball under any pressure and simply jogs about pointing at other people as passing options. Harkes doesn’t even bother to come and get the ball, waiting on the punt.

Only Siegrist gets pass marks from me and he conceded 4.

Butcher's performances have been quite worrying - I thought he was good against Hibs but that aside the games have passed him by.  I always thought that he would be limited once he got the ball at his feet - but so far he isn't really getting the ball at his feet... 

Conversely, Siegrist looks absolutely brilliant.  If it wasn't for him we could have lost by 10.  I'm concerned that he might be snapped up before the window closes, as pretty sure he had English Championship sides looking at him last season.

On 12/09/2020 at 20:26, mishtergrolsch said:

Butcher was shown up as extremely limited today (particularly at the first goal), in fact they pretty much all were.

Does anyone know why Declan Glass isn't even getting 15 minutes in the midfield?  Injured or just woeful?

On 12/09/2020 at 22:37, ArabianKnight said:

Not worried in the slightest about the team. 

I'm not worried by the team, either, but am getting slightly concerned by the reactions of some Arabs.  Memories are very short - these same players were losing to part-time teams last season.  If we finish 10th this season then that is a great achievement, even if we do get a few more 4-0 hidings. 

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Neilson is out of his depth as a defender at this level. 

Extremely harsh... he only made his professional debut 6 weeks ago.  What were you expecting?

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Cant believe the criticism of Neilson is starting already. Hes a great prospect and shouldn't be relied upon to hold our defence together whilst playing out of position.

I think we are missing Smith. 

Agreed on both points.

11 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm surprised Kieran Freeman hasn't been used more often: played well in his only start at Dingwall

Really? 

I thought for most of the game he looked like a competition winner out there. Gardyne had a bit of a field day.