The Dundee United Thread 22/23

5 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Neilson has looked like the first real asset in a few years. Just need to hope he doesn't go the way of John Souttar however, I have better faith in the management currently than those responsible for Souttar.

It was criminal he kept getting played in CM. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

It was criminal he kept getting played in CM. 

Agreed, however for context, a hell of a lot of United fans were wanting him played there at the time.

Saw on twitter somebody saying given Neilson's ability on the ball he should be in midfield - enough to make you weep!

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Agreed, however for context, a hell of a lot of United fans were wanting him played there at the time.

Saw on twitter somebody saying given Neilson's ability on the ball he should be in midfield - enough to make you weep!

The reason Sottar was played in midfield was because he couldn't defend for toffee and looked scared to header the ball most of the time. Under a better manager he may have been taught these things but at the time his actual talent and skills were on the ball, not winning it. And McNafortune obviously wasn't going to actually protect and coach a youngster. That would mean he'd have stop a young, talented player playing in the hope of making him a buck or five.

He wasn't a central midfielder either though. 

If he was born in Italy or Spain or some other mainland European country he'd have had a belter of a career as a sweeper or a Pirlo type sitting playmaker just spraying passes about.

Anyone that thinks Neilson should play in midfield should be jettisoned to the moon without a rocket or breathing apparatus.

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I'm hearing Sevco are pushing for the match against United at Ibrox on 12 September to be used as a 'test event' for fans returning to football stadiums.

20200827_065438.thumb.jpg.bdcf883a2623a911573bab70cc81d221.jpg

Should read "weve got the battle virus on". More appropriate. 

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The reason Sottar was played in midfield was because he couldn't defend for toffee and looked scared to header the ball most of the time.

Don't agree, but won't bother arguing. Just worth noting that he's snapped an achillies for the third time by the age of 23.

He could've developed into a player, but he's probably fcuked.

57 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Don't agree, but won't bother arguing. Just worth noting that he's snapped an achillies for the third time by the age of 23.

He could've developed into a player, but he's probably fcuked.

Feel sorry for the guy. Never said I didn't. Its a shame his (or anyones) career may well be ended by an injury never mind a recurring one.

Can't be bothered getting into something about a player who left us donkeys ago either right now tbh. 

Souttar could have been a class ball playing centre half. He didnt have the aggression as a young boy to play week in week out at centre half.

He was completely mismanaged by our clown shoes management team, shunted out to full back, then to midfield and ended up with his confidence completely destroyed.

On 25/08/2020 at 14:55, ArabFC said:

Shout-out to Declan Glass who I thought did well every time he got on the ball (against guys twice his size - some of the Sheffield boys are huge). Still baffled that he hasn't been used this season.

I remain baffled.

Albeit, it’s not half as confusing as to how anyone thinks that Mark Connolly is anything but a liability.

Guest DAVIDB69
I remain baffled.
Albeit, it’s not half as confusing as to how anyone thinks that Mark Connolly is anything but a liability.

Mark Connolly could put us in big trouble

Hmmm.... Bit worrying that.

As ever plenty of endeavour and industry. But we have a major problem in that we can't defend and we're toothless up front.

Not sure what the story is with Glass, but he's clearly not in Mellon's plans. I'd imagine he may be put out on loan when the championship / league 1 season starts (Cove will surely be interested). But I think he would do us a great turn if last season was anything to by.

Pains me to say it but I'm beginning to have my doubts about Louis Apperre. Certainly toiling at this level.

Needs to be remembered we were a championship team just a few months ago and have barely made any changes to the personnel. Hopefully this will be addressed over the next fortnight as it clearly needs to.

14 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Mark Connolly could put us in big trouble

The transfer window would normally be closed 6 games into a season but thankfully we still have another 6 weeks for Mellon to address the glaring issues in central defence and upfront.