The Dundee United Thread 22/23

16 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

3 5 2 with Bolton and Clark up front?

Or 4 4 2  with Neilson at RB?

Or (and looking at the semicolons) 4 3 3 with Neilson at right back AND Bolton, Chalmers and Clark up top?

If so, very brave and I like it (except Neilson at RB but other than Bolton who else is there? ). Would probably take 5 off Celtic but if we have a go and score then I'm fine with that. 

Is big Loius out?

Sounds like 4 5 1 to me.

All hail Ann Budge.

I know we lost, and on the balance of the game we deserved to lose, but, tactically we were spot on and I can’t remember us looking so organised in a long time. We had players (especially in the first half) confident enough to press and force Celtic into mistakes.

What we are lacking is quality and you can’t blame the manager for that, yet.

Throughout the game you could hear Micky screaming “keep the ball” at the team, and when he did you could see the players almost being shamed into trying to do that. 

But whatever other attributes you might think Reynolds, Connolly and Butcher have (and they defended well) passing and composure on the ball ain’t among them, which makes holding on to possession against good teams almost impossible - it just gets passed back to Siegrist who launches it.

I reckon one solution might be in front of us in Lewis Neilson, albeit he’ll probably continue to just be eased into the team, but he looks a real talent for us at centre-back. We should be moving to tie him down as long as you’re possibly able to tie a 17yo down.

But we also really really really need another option in midfield - someone who can get in the ball and pass it about - difficult to find, but we’re lacking.

Lastly, a shout-out to Benji. Maybe, maybe he could have done slightly better at the goal, but he’s been brilliant for a fairly long time now.

32 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

All hail Ann Budge.

I know we lost, and on the balance of the game we deserved to lose, but, tactically we were spot on and I can’t remember us looking so organised in a long time. We had players (especially in the first half) confident enough to press and force Celtic into mistakes.

Throughout the game you could hear Micky screaming “keep the ball” at the team, and when he did you could see the players almost being shamed into trying to do that. 

But whatever other attributes you might think Reynolds, Connolly and Butcher have (and they defended well) passing and composure on the ball ain’t among them, which makes holding on to possession against good teams almost impossible - it just gets passed back to Siegrist who launches it.

I reckon one solution might be in front of us in Lewis Neilson, albeit he’ll probably continue to just be eased into the team, but he looks a real talent for us at centre-back. We should be moving to tie him down as long as you’re possibly able to tie a 17yo down.

But we also really really really need another option in midfield - someone who can get in the ball and pass it about - difficult to find, but we’re lacking.

Lastly, a shout-out to Benji. Maybe, maybe he could have done slightly better at the goal, but he’s been brilliant for a fairly long time now.

Yip, Benji kept us in the game with a couple of very good saves.

49 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

All hail Ann Budge.

I'll be honest, Benji gave me the absolute fucking fear most of last season but hes improved massively this season. I felt he went for the camera save a wee bit today instead of just punching it wide and messed up but 9 times out of 10 he'll get away with that. 

Its plain to see Neilson (the one thats the shite manager, not the best young player in Europe) wasn't getting anywhere near enough from these players and shoe horning them in to the same shite system every week wasnt helping. Christ, even I think Harkes is beginning to look competent and thats saying something. All I need now is for McMullan to learn to cross and Connolly to stop blootering the ball anywhere and im not going to have a clue who to boo. FFS MM.

Lewis Neilson may well be the player that we've needed for years, a composed defender that can make a forward pass of at least 5 yards while keeping the ball on the deck. I agree, we should he giving him a Wee Jim contract.

A decent playmaker in the middle, another speedy winger and a striker added should give us enough to be a comfortable 7th or 8th this season which would be very good.

We lost but loads of positives to take from that game and im...wait...not despondent about Dundee United after a defeat? What is this new devilry???

And yes, hail Ann Budge - stealer of useless managers!

If they play with the same level of commitment and work rate as they did against Celtic in every match, we will be in for a very enjoyable season.

Neilson's composure on the ball is very impressive. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Hopefully He is found soon...

5 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

If they play with the same level of commitment and work rate as they did against Celtic in every match, we will be in for a very enjoyable season.

This in spades. The effort was fantastic yesterday, and deserved much more than a 1-0 defeat to a late, scruffy, shitey goal.

We need someone who can hold the ball up though, whether that's Shankland coming back, the boy potentially on loan from Ipswich or the prodigal Pav.

We've now played 5 games and have 7 points. 2 wins, a draw that probably should have been a win, and narrow defeats against Celtic and a very good Hibs side. There's no way Neilson would have produced that.

43 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

We need someone who can hold the ball up though, whether that's Shankland coming back, the boy potentially on loan from Ipswich or the prodigal Pav.

Broken record that I am, but y’all are looking at the wrong end of the park. How about we get players further back that can keep possession rather than resorting to punting it to a striker in the hope he’ll hold it up?

Even Shankland struggles when we play hit and hope.

Just now, ArabFC said:

Broken record that I am, but y’all are looking at the wrong end of the park. How about we get players further back that can keep possession rather than resorting to punting it to a striker in the hope he’ll hold it up?

Even Shankland struggles when we play hit and hope.

I don't disagree that we shouldn't be punting it forward, but that's not the only reason to have someone who can hold it up. I'm not suggesting just signing a 7ft monster and smashing it to him.

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't disagree that we shouldn't be punting it forward, but that's not the only reason to have someone who can hold it up. I'm not suggesting just signing a 7ft monster and smashing it to him.

Hold on, don’t be daft. If we can sign a 7ft monster, I’m all for it.

55 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Pav still loves the tangerine and black. 

Screenshot_20200824_080500_com.instagram.android.jpg

It's annoying me the boy next to him has odd socks on. Although they're so different I guess it has to be the fashion with gym goers in Slovakia?