The Dundee United Thread 22/23

We really need another midfielder.

Neither Butcher, Pawlett or Harkes could have complained at being subbed today, but we’ve got nothing else.

Glass and Mochrie clearly not fancied by Micky thus far.

Bolton will be good once he’s fit. Chalmers looked lost as a wing back.

Edited by ArabFC

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We really need another midfielder.

Neither Butcher, Pawlett or Harkes could have complained at being subbed today, but we’ve got nothing else.

Glass and Mochrie  pearly not fancied by Micky thus far.

Bolton will be good once he’s fit. Chalmers looked lost as a wing back.

I would have thought Glass would have been on for Pawlett at some point. I don't think he's physical enough for this league sadly. 

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If P&B Arabs just ignore Mr Alli on the various United threads this season I think it will lead to a better experience for all of us.

It’s difficult. He’s on every single Utd match thread. 

He bites to absolutely everything too. 

I don't think Harkes plays badly and I don't think he lacks effort. He just isnt very good.

I thought Butcher was alright but we need desperately need some quality in there.

Pawlett wasn't terrible but again that's not going to be enough. 

You can see in the final third we toil

Clarke needs service and Appere is a good clever footballer but not a striker.

I'm impressed with Bolton so far.

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't think Harkes plays badly and I don't think he lacks effort. He just isnt very good.

I thought Butcher was alright but we need desperately need some quality in there.

Pawlett wasn't terrible but again that's not going to be enough. 

You can see in the final third we toil

Clarke needs service and Appere is a good clever footballer but not a striker.

I'm impressed with Bolton so far.

This. We needed a creative player last season and we still lack one now. The players we have aren't that type or aren't good enough

We also need a striker with some pace to run in behind and stretch defences.

I think MM probably knows this but my guess is instead of rushing signings he'll see what he's got already while trying to make us absolutely horrible to play against.

We are certainly a much better unit under Mellon. Looks like players have tasks to fulfil and for the most part are doing it to the best of their ability.

I might moan about quality but I really couldn't moan about a single player in terms of effort and sticking to the plan.

It was a pretty shit game last night, but mainly because we cancelled each other out rather than an out and out lack of quality. We looked pretty solid at the back, but we definitely need someone more creative in the forward areas. Even Pawlett worked his arse off.

Edwards looked decent until he inexplicably fucked his hamstring going for a nothing ball on the touchline, hopefully it's not too serious. And we definitely need Shankland back.

Been pleasantly surprised by Harkes in the opening 3 games, he looks far more confident in his own abilities and is the best of the 3 central midfielders for me.

Pawlett has noticeably upped his work rate but still too lightweight and doesn't really seem to do anything of note when he's on the pitch. Butcher is obviously committed and gives his all every time he goes out but his passing and close control in tight situations aren't good enough and he jumps into too many rash challenges, counted a handful of times where he gave the ball away in our half last night through either a poor pass or poor first touch. I'd like upgrades on both, and certainly at least one, if we have any ambitions of finishing higher than 9th/10th this season.

Solid enough start overall though and I'm really happy with how Mellon is going about his job.

I like the balance of Butcher, Harkes and Pawlett in terms of it effectively being destroyer, box-to-box, creative (which Pawlett has been in the past, though not for us!), but it's not exactly the Rankin, Armstrong and Gauld axis we had not that long ago.

I still think Harkes has the most potential of the 3, in that an upgrade on either of the other 2 will have a far bigger effect on him than the other way round, but someone creative has to be the priority.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Mochrie could be the answer to the creative player we need. I think we might see a bit of him and Glass on Saturday. 

I would've thought that Glass would've come off the bench last night, but he didn't.

Without inside knowledge I doubt anyone would be able to guess what Micky does next.

I would've thought that Glass would've come off the bench last night, but he didn't.
Without inside knowledge I doubt anyone would be able to guess what Micky does next.

Aye, its going to be virtually impossible to second guess his team selections.

I’m pleased with what I’ve seen so far.  

A defensive error against St Johnstone cost us 2 points; an unexpected (but deserved) win away to Motherwell; and a goal that would have been ruled offside if we had VAR against the league’s form team is not a bad start.

I’m not a fan of 5 at the back but I thought it was quite effective last night.

Mellon needs time to get the team playing as he wants and if we get anything from the next two games it will be a bonus.