The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I have a suspicion Micky just wanted an extra body in there and we'll soon return to 4 at the back.

I quite like 352 but you do have to commit to it - where does Paul McMullan play for example?

Suggestions from him previous clubs - and from Mellon himself, I think - that he's quite happy to change formations to suit the players available and the opposition. I can see us switching between a three and four fairly regularly.

18 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Suggestions from him previous clubs - and from Mellon himself, I think - that he's quite happy to change formations to suit the players available and the opposition. I can see us switching between a three and four fairly regularly.

I get that, but even with the most tinkering of managers there'll tend to be a preference for 3 or 4 for the most part.

ie - its doubtful there'll be an even split of games because of regular switching between the two.

Would imagine a high profile striker would only be a remote possibility if Shankland is away. If not, then I'm happy with him, Clark, Appere and the young lads as forwards.

Really want to see Appere get as much game time as possible. He and Shankland looked the two easily capable of being top 6 standard based on the games against Hibs last year.

Will be interested to see if Mellon continues with the 3-5-2. Makes sense when you consider how bad McMullan is at crossing the ball and helps to get another body in the middle of the park but means Bolton and Smith would be competing for the RWB slot.

In theory I could see McMullan being used in behind the front two if we are trying to be adventurous with the 352 and have it as more of a 3412. We actually needed that kind of player later on in the game on Saturday.

If Mellon sees Sporle as being even half decent then that leaves Robson and Sporle on the left with Smith and Bolton on the right. If Neilson is now part of the first team squad we have 4 central defenders so we would ideally want one more if we were persisting with the three at the back.

Mellon does seem to want a squad that can easily switch formation and it might mean some players, like Pawlett on Saturday, having to play in a way that requires a bit more out of them or for them to switch roles. Pawlett was being asked to play as a central midfielder and take responsibility for probably more coverage of the pitch than he is used to.

54 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I get that, but even with the most tinkering of managers there'll tend to be a preference for 3 or 4 for the most part.

ie - its doubtful there'll be an even split of games because of regular switching between the two.

No, not an entirely even split.

44 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Will be interested to see if Mellon continues with the 3-5-2. 

Tbf it was fairly obvious we were starting with three up front (played all friendlies that way and the manager referenced it plenty), so he maybe just felt he needed to match up.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

If Mellon sees Sporle as being even half decent then that leaves Robson and Sporle on the left with Smith and Bolton on the right. If Neilson is now part of the first team squad we have 4 central defenders so we would ideally want one more if we were persisting with the three at the back.

Well Sporle was on the bench, but he replaced Robson with Chalmers, so...

On 27/07/2020 at 20:19, Accent-Unknown said:

https://josephhartwinks.wordpress.com/2020/07/27/ranking-every-dundee-united-player-of-the-banter-years-era-part-1-1-10/

Because apparently I'm a glutton for pain, I've taken on the task of ranking every single player to have played for United From the 2nd of February 2015 to the 15th of April 2020, aka "The Banter Years."

I've started from the best and working my way down, so here's my ten favourite players (favourite is the key word) players from this era of United.

For the love of god please enjoy.

Part 2 available now, covering 11-25

If you thought my choices in the first one was questionable, then you're gonna love this!

https://josephhartwinks.wordpress.com/2020/08/04/ranking-every-dundee-united-player-of-the-banter-years-era-part-2-11-25/

10 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Part 2 available now, covering 11-25

If you thought my choices in the first one was questionable, then you're gonna love this!

https://josephhartwinks.wordpress.com/2020/08/04/ranking-every-dundee-united-player-of-the-banter-years-era-part-2-11-25/

A chilling read. Tony Andreu...was he the worst best player or the best worst player at that time?! Totally forgot about him. And forgettable he was.

Connolly above Reynold I disagree with. Reynolds was a new player when played beside Watson and looked very good. Connolly comes back in and we look like we have two Teletubbies again!

Other than some other placings and appearances id personally disagree with (Liam Smith > Rachid and Mohsni and Paul McFuckingMullan > Scott Fraser!? (and I was a Scott Fraser hater) etc ) its your preference and its all banter. I did almost start shouting at you after number 12 however!🤣

Its good read and a trip down memory lane. Haunting, abusive and oppressive memories down one of those wee lanes in Lochee that you'd rather be murdered in before you have to walk back up it again.

Also, I liked  Scott McDonald and we got nowhere near the best out of him. But his greatest contribution to Dundee United was that parting interview about Laszlo. It should be printed out and slapped in every clubs boardroom accross the inhabited world!

Edited by mishtergrolsch

8 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Anyone seen safrankos Instagram??? 

I did, he's shared a  post from a United fan page that suggests or asks if we should be going for Pav... I wonder if he's realised what the post actually said? If he has, could be a hint.......