The Dundee United Thread 22/23

We certainly need a signing or two, or three, or...

Reynolds not involved today, which meant Butcher playing at the back, which meant Powers starting. We desperately need another centre-back.

And I'm guessing from the lineups that we started with C.Smith and Mochrie wide, who were then replaced by Glass and Appere. The lack of any real pace and width there is worrying.

32 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We certainly need a signing or two, or three, or...

Reynolds not involved today, which meant Butcher playing at the back, which meant Powers starting. We desperately need another centre-back.

And I'm guessing from the lineups that we started with C.Smith and Mochrie wide, who were then replaced by Glass and Appere. The lack of any real pace and width there is worrying.

Hopefully the new lad will add some much needed pace out wide whether at full back or winger.

Id prefer we had another pacey player but would rather have some more defensive cover first.

I don't think it would be so bad to go into the new season with the current squad. There's something to be said for continuity and whilst there probably is a lack of high quality players in the squad, the guys that we have appear to be solid, good characters who have a decent understanding from playing together. That's probably a better position to be in than throwing together a group of unknown quantities and hoping that they gel. We were defensively solid last season and appear to be solid in the pre-season games (yeah, it's pre-season). On top of that we have a guy who will take the chances that we create. I think that'll put us ahead of at least 2 or 3 other teams which will be enough to see us safe. We can build on that.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

We were defensively solid last season...

We were? 🤔

Well today we conceded a goal when Connolly tried to shepherd the ball (from around 12 yards) out and failed miserably. As far as my memory serves me, these sort of mistakes have happened once or twice before.

And that's not the worst aspect for me, it's how horrendous our two (and we only have two) senior centre-backs are on the ball.

I remember a few months ago, more folk than not here, were calling me crazy for saying we only needed 4 or 5 signings 😂

Let's look at some positives though...

Harkes (albeit it's only highlights) looks curiously better.

Cammy Smith could be like a new signing.

Pawlett actually looks decent more central.

Glass looks ready to play more.

48 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We were? 🤔

Well today we conceded a goal when Connolly tried to shepherd the ball (from around 12 yards) out and failed miserably. As far as my memory serves me, these sort of mistakes have

Worth mentioning he'll likely get cemented by Murray Davidson about 2 minutes into the game next week, so the Pawlett in CM experiment might be over quite quickly.

Worth mentioning he'll likely get cemented by Murray Davidson about 2 minutes into the game next week, so the Pawlett in CM experiment might be over quite quickly.
Worth mentioning that
1) you are a p***k
2) most united fans wouldnt mind seeing Pawlett spend a bit of time on the sidelines
3) Murray Davidson will get split in half from the Butcher walking out the tunnel

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Anyone else watched the highlights on Arabzone?

Forget the fitba, the footage is horrendous. If that's what folk are going to be tuning into next week... jeez!

I believe the highlights were filmed by United's analytics team and not the DUTV people.

5 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

I’ve genuinely never heard of Murray Davidson. Should I be worried? 

Tbh I forgot how long you lot have spent out the top flight.

I'm sure you'll learn the names of all the regular top flight players over the coming season.

11 hours ago, ArabFC said:

We were? 🤔

Well today we conceded a goal when Connolly tried to shepherd the ball (from around 12 yards) out and failed miserably. As far as my memory serves me, these sort of mistakes have happened once or twice before.

And that's not the worst aspect for me, it's how horrendous our two (and we only have two) senior centre-backs are on the ball.

I remember a few months ago, more folk than not here, were calling me crazy for saying we only needed 4 or 5 signings 😂

Let's look at some positives though...

Harkes (albeit it's only highlights) looks curiously better.

Cammy Smith could be like a new signing.

Glass looks ready to play more.

I've been saying this also.

The  Championship caused us more problems than it should have considering the Shankland factor and its clear our squad is thin on the ground in terms of quality. 

Connolly and Reynolds are terrible on the ball and Connolly in particular is woeful positionally. Goes to show how much better we were with Watson and Reynolds last season.

The full backs are very average and we have very unproven cover.

We only have one winger capable of crossing the ball and he's barely arrived at the club. I could get used to Pawlett being more central, just off Shankland as he could be more effective amd crafty with more space in the middle.

We're decent up front with Shankland, Clark and Appere. 

The centre of the park is Butcher + 1 (or 2 depending on what Mellons going for) and the jury is out on the rest but seriously limited in creative prowess.

If the chequebook was opened a teeny bit (which its not till arbitration is put to bed at best) then -

1 good centre half as a priority

1 creative midfielder as a priority

If we could wedge the chequebook open  -

1 full back 

1 striker

1 winger

Unless Mellon thinks he can get something more out of Sporle, King (I know...) and Cammy Smith but its a big ask in this league.

23 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I've been saying this also.

The  Championship caused us more problems than it should have considering the Shankland factor and its clear our squad is thin on the ground in terms of quality. 

Connolly and Reynolds are terrible on the ball and Connolly in particular is woeful positionally. Goes to show how much better we were with Watson and Reynolds last season.

The full backs are very average and we have very unproven cover.

We only have one winger capable of crossing the ball and he's barely arrived at the club. I could get used to Pawlett being more central, just off Shankland as he could be more effective amd crafty with more space in the middle.

We're decent up front with Shankland, Clark and Appere. 

The centre of the park is Butcher + 1 (or 2 depending on what Mellons going for) and the jury is out on the rest but seriously limited in creative prowess.

If the chequebook was opened a teeny bit (which its not till arbitration is put to bed at best) then -

1 good centre half as a priority

1 creative midfielder as a priority

If we could wedge the chequebook open  -

1 full back 

1 striker

1 winger

Unless Mellon thinks he can get something more out of Sporle, King (I know...) and Cammy Smith but its a big ask in this league.

I really doubt we'll sign another striker this season unless Shankland goes in January. We've got Shankland, Clark, Appere and Smith all who can play up front or off the main striker. 

We desperately need a winger or two and a capable CB though absolutely. 

47 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I really doubt we'll sign another striker this season unless Shankland goes in January. We've got Shankland, Clark, Appere and Smith all who can play up front or off the main striker. 

We desperately need a winger or two and a capable CB though absolutely. 

There was talk of a move had been made for for that Man City youngster Luke Bolton on loan but that has went quiet for now.

Not seen anything since Friday.