The Dundee United Thread 22/23

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yep but fans are serial moaners, there were some Livi fans wanting Holt sacked around Oct/Nov when we hit a bad run (3 defeats in a row were Motherwell A, Sevco H & Celtic A too), and we ended up having our 2nd most successful season ever in the top flight.

We  had some supporters Who thought Robinson’s time was up at the back end of 2017.

Conway on trial at the Fermers.

I might be falling for the usual nostalgia but we need a left winger. He played on the left. He crossed the ball for a target man to header into the goal. He has good delivery. He's 35 and massively experienced, silver kisser and a good role model for the younger players.

I'd take him back.

23 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Players can be punted and in the case of King and Powers probably should be.

King has 2 years left on his deal - Powers has 1.  I can't see any team taking on either of them unless we pay a significant chunk of their wages - and we won't do that as we can hardly afford it and that would leave us too light on numbers. 

I just hope Declan Glass gets more of a run out than he did under Neilson and keeps them both out (or even pushes Butcher back to centre-hlaf).

22 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Staying up this season would be a success.

You're not wrong - but if we don't split the Old Firm there will still be some calling for Mellon to be sacked.  I still can't believe some of the complaints that I saw on here at points last season.

16 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

That great run of 14 unbeaten games in the league came when his favorites where out injured and he had to switch the players who actually deserved to be there.

Complaining about a 14 game unbeaten run - now that's a proper Arab!

10 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Conway on trial at the Fermers.

I'd take him back.

Me too.  If nothing else, he can show McMullan how to cross a ball.

36 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

He’s 35. Leave that retirement home pish  to the Johnnies.

We've got a younger squad than United, m8.

Can't wait for 3ft tall 19yo Ali McCann to be called a "journeyman clogger" by you lot next month.

24 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

King has 2 years left on his deal - Powers has 1.  I can't see any team taking on either of them unless we pay a significant chunk of their wages - and we won't do that as we can hardly afford it and that would leave us too light on numbers.

We're in the Premiership now, but lets content ourselves with midfielders that are so shit that nobody else would take them off our hands? Jeez!

Our midfield is crap, and unless we want to go straight back down, we need to sort it out!

Butcher (who Neilson wants) could maybe do a job alongside someone decent, but by God do we need someone who can get on the ball in the midfield, and if you think that's Harkes yer mental!

We need two good players brought in, minimum, to shore up our defence and midfield, or we'll be in real trouble.

Edited by ArabFC

46 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We're in the Premiership now, but lets content ourselves with midfielders that are so shit that nobody else would take them off our hands? Jeez!

Our midfield is crap, and unless we want to go straight back down, we need to sort it out!

Butcher (who Neilson wants) could maybe do a job alongside someone decent, but by God do we need someone who can get on the ball in the midfield, and if you think that's Harkes yer mental!

We need two good players brought in, minimum, to shore up our defence and midfield, or we'll be in real trouble.

Been saying this for ages and got called mental. I think if we can get a big solid centre half (2 would be perfect) and a box to box type midfielder to compliment Butchers hatchet man role we'd be doing OK. 

Harkes may yet improve but he'd be better being a backup / off the bench player to get used to the standard next season. I don't think he'll cut it straight away, if ever, but well see I suppose. He's not the guy for a dogfight though, that's something I think we all know.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Conway might do a better job behind a striker in his old age. Not that I recall him every really "using his pace" as a winger.

I'd also take a chance on Conway for sure. He's a fit bloke but he's never had blistering pace so there's nothing lost there. Been playing at a higher level than the Premiership for the chunk of the last 10 years and has experience of big games etc. Maybe he'd offer more in a number 10 type role but for me its wide left cutting in like he did for us so well. Great delivery and can take a decent corner too which we've not had for donkeys. We have nobody that can play wide left other than Aperre but I'd rather see him more through the middle. Im not counting Sporle because each time I've seen him hes been meh.

To discount Conway purely on age is a bit loopy considering the career he's had. He's definitely worth a look at the very least.

17 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I think most Arabs would love to see King (2 league starts all season) and Powers (who can't pass a football) either go out on loan to get more experience or be sold on - but the reality is that, especially with all that is going on, there are going to be very few suitors.  With the contracts we have been dishing out (lest we forget that our wage bill last season was astronomical) we have to resign ourselves to the fact that most players in the squad, even if they are barely playing, are going to be reluctant to move on. 

And, with Tony Asghar still pulling the strings, it is hardly a foregone conclusion that any replacements would be an improvement...

16 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd also take a chance on Conway for sure.

My only issue with Conway is that (and I am as guilty as anyone) he has been absolutely idolised by us for the past decade - and if he didn't put in a May 2010 type performance each week I could see a lot of people getting on his back (a bit like when Brewster came back as manager - any goodwill evaporated very, very quickly).

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I think most Arabs would love to see King (2 league starts all season) and Powers (who can't pass a football) either go out on loan to get more experience or be sold on - but the reality is that, especially with all that is going on, there are going to be very few suitors.  With the contracts we have been dishing out (lest we forget that our wage bill last season was astronomical) we have to resign ourselves to the fact that most players in the squad, even if they are barely playing, are going to be reluctant to move on. 

And, with Tony Asghar still pulling the strings, it is hardly a foregone conclusion that any replacements would be an improvement...

My only issue with Conway is that (and I am as guilty as anyone) he has been absolutely idolised by us for the past decade - and if he didn't put in a May 2010 type performance each week I could see a lot of people getting on his back (a bit like when Brewster came back as manager - any goodwill evaporated very, very quickly).

The thing with Brewster is we would have done a lot better had he not broken his leg in his first game.  His main managerial attribute was being a really good player!

Even if he's (Conway) pish now he'll still be better than McMullan as he could stand out wide and cross the ball and take the free kicks. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch