The Dundee United Thread 22/23

11 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Considering they've probably had the best transfer window in the league that's a stupid team to compare us to as they should be challenging for 3rd/4th with their squad. 

Hibs new signings are bang average, and won't get them near Motherwell or Aberdeen.

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

But I like Sporle as a back-up to Appere - when he has come on he has looked energetic and positive and would like to see him get more gametime.  And Butcher will do a job in the Premiership, even if it won't be pretty - so CM would have to be better than Harkes from the off.  That could be expensive.

Sporle has shown very little thus far and imho Appere will be a better forward than winger.

Regardless of that - you take McMullan out of the side and where is the pace? Another winger (preferably left-sided) is a must!

Kinda distraught that folk think Butcher and Harkes are gonna cut it!

Edited by ArabFC

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Kane Hemmings as a back-up striker? Could probably get him for a fiver 😂

I'd rather we saved the fiver. Or burned it. Or gave it to charity. Or fold it into a paper plane and threw it off the Tay Bridge and watch it fly away into the sunset. You know, do something of more value than fritter it away on something absolutely worthless.

11 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

We need 5, maybe 6 players in. Of decent quality. 

I would of course like a run at the top 6, but this season our rivals will be Hamilton, Livingston, St Johnstone, Ross County, St Mirren. 

I don't think its fair to lump Livingston in that group tbh, not while they still have Dykes anyway.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think its fair to lump Livingston in that group tbh, not while they still have Dykes anyway.

f**k up ya dick. We were a fucking cracking side the second half of last season and would've overtaken Livingston with ease if it had been played out. I'll be very disappointed if we are in the bottom half next season. 

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Lyndon Dykes, ffs. Get a grip of yourself you silly cunt.

Yes, Dykes, who is a big massive b*****d who charges about for 90 minutes and allows Livingston to suffocate games as they can sit deep and let him take defences on by himself.

They're virtually impossible to break down while he gives them that out ball.

8 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Just taking Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen & Hibs out the equation. Jury out on Killie & Motherwell.. 

Motherwell finished 3rd last season and have improved.

Killie have lost their best players, while Hibs signings are bang average. Ranking Motherwell below them two is a bizarre take.

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

f**k up ya dick. We were a fucking cracking side the second half of last season and would've overtaken Livingston with ease if it had been played out. I'll be very disappointed if we are in the bottom half next season. 

And since then we've lost a manager and four starters, and replaced them with a rookie and Shaun Rooney.

Until the squad improves, Davidson proves some ability, I'll remain cautious about my hopes for this season.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, Dykes, who is a big massive b*****d who charges about for 90 minutes and allows Livingston to suffocate games as they can sit deep and let him take defences on by himself.

They're virtually impossible to break down while he gives them that out ball.

Motherwell finished 3rd last season and have improved.

Killie have lost their best players, while Hibs signings are bang average. Ranking Motherwell below them two is a bizarre take.

re Motherwell, I’m purely taking the ‘surely they can’t finish as high next time’ view 

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And since then we've lost a manager and four starters, and replaced them with a rookie and Shaun Rooney.

Until the squad improves, Davidson proves some ability, I'll remain cautious about my hopes for this season.

Really? Out of those 4 starters you're on about I'd only say Drey Wright is a miss. Butcher was merely ok,  Holt was the similar and Ralston just isn't a footballer.

One decent midfielder and an attacker of some sorts, even on loan would do,  and we're good to go.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Really? Out of those 4 starters you're on about I'd only say Drey Wright is a miss. Butcher was merely ok,  Holt was the similar and Ralston just isn't a footballer.

One decent midfielder and an attacker of some sorts, even on loan would do,  and we're good to go.

I'm less than confident about Rooney at RB, from what I've seen of him he can't defend.

The only depth behind him is Wallace Duffy.

Thats terrifying.

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Should I report this flaw in the coding to mods? Seems when I click to visit the Dundee United thread, I'm sent to a St Johnstone one.

old-vintage-grey-massey-ferguson-tractor-ploughing-match-show-old-farmer-cap-driving-old-grey-massey-fergusen-tractor-117150558.jpg.d0ab10eaa91d25b3543c80b9b83786fe.jpg

They should feel even more at home now. 

Enjoy the Massey Fergie, lads.

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you lose Shankland and can't replace him, your squad would comfortably be one of the weakest in the league...

That is very big "if" - and my previous post was obviously on the basis that Shankland would still be at the club.  If he leaves, he will be genuinely impossible to replace.

17 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Sporle has shown very little thus far and imho Appere will be a better forward than winger.

Kinda distraught that folk think Butcher and Harkes are gonna cut it!

Sporle has not been given a huge opportunity to show what he is capable of - but the little that I have seen has impressed me.  I may be off the mark with him (it certainly wouldn't be the first time) but I hope he gets a better run of games this season.

I don't love Butcher and Harkes, but suspect that Butcher will be useful in games that we are pinned back (i.e. about every second week) and I don't think we can afford to bring in another centre midfielder when we already have Glass, King and Powers as back-up.  We are already totally unsustainable.

8 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

I would of course like a run at the top 6, but this season our rivals will be Hamilton, Livingston, St Johnstone, Ross County, St Mirren. 

Agreed - I just hope the support will have the patience to see the long-term situation...