The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Same item received from Dorward and Stewart, can't help thinking somebody else wrote it for them. Yes, it's good to get a response, but having spoken to both in the past, they've not got much about them on the personality front. 

The best way to put it would be to say they don't like to commit themselves, as if they cannot offer their own view without checking with others.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Same item received from Dorward and Stewart, can't help thinking somebody else wrote it for them. Yes, it's good to get a response, but having spoken to both in the past, they've not got much about them on the personality front. 

The best way to put it would be to say they don't like to commit themselves, as if they cannot offer their own view without checking with others.

I wouldn’t knock it.  Seems like the fans’ opinions were of some value.  The SFA might do well to take note, given the most important job in the country’s game is held by a guy who the fans don’t respect and who wants to return to club management.  

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

tbf they're SLO's, they're not paid to have opinions just repeat the boards in a nice way.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Are they paid? Shocked if so.

Dorward is a director, and neither were liason guys when I have spoken to them. 

It says they're "Joint Supporters Liason Officers" in the email. and if it isn't a paid job it should be, can't imagine it's the most stress free position.

17 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Got the same reply. It's nice to get a response, as generic as it was. There were probably too many emails on the subject for them to do anything else tbf.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Got the same reply. It's nice to get a response, as generic as it was. There were probably too many emails on the subject for them to do anything else tbf.

I got mine too. At least it was personalised which is nice.

Good to see you back!

It struck me while listening to Micky Mellon that given the season kicks off in just 3 weeks, we might actually end up going to the new season with the squad as is. He'll probably want some time to run the rule over the players.

Personally, I'm in favour of fewer signings than many on this forum, but imho we need at least 3 desperately... CB / CM / LW 

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.22.32.png

Ashgar mentioned towards the end of his interview on Azone we'd be looking to get some players in. For me, a centre half is the absolute number one priority and going into the season without reinforcement there would be a disaster waiting to happen. Other positions I'd definitely like to see us strengthen but think we'd just about cope with what we have (centre mid, winger, left back and Pav would be nice).

18 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It struck me while listening to Micky Mellon that given the season kicks off in just 3 weeks, we might actually end up going to the new season with the squad as is. He'll probably want some time to run the rule over the players.

Personally, I'm in favour of fewer signings than many on this forum, but imho we need at least 3 desperately... CB / CM / LW 

What kind of player is Appere? 
I haven’t seen much of him but on the handful of occasions I have, he has seemed a handful. 

I’m excited to see if Mellon can develop some of our younger players.

Already he seems like a pretty infectious character and he talks about enjoying the part of management where you can give younger players the confidence to go and play. Mentioned something in one of the interviews I’ve watched, he said that already he’s gone over to one or two of the younger players in training and told them “you can really play, you’ve got what it takes to blossom” and he said he gets enjoyment out of seeing the players respond to praise. Its a bit corny and a bit of a cliche using basic psychology like that but a huge hurdle in sport is that belief factor.

What kind of player is Appere? 
I haven’t seen much of him but on the handful of occasions I have, he has seemed a handful. 
Hes one of these modern forwards who isn't quite an out and out striker but can play on the wing or just behind a number 9.

Fairly quick, decent strength for his age and technically good. Will score and create.

Our brightest prospect if he keeps developing.

6 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Hes one of these modern forwards who isn't quite an out and out striker but can play on the wing or just behind a number 9.

Fairly quick, decent strength for his age and technically good. Will score and create.

Our brightest prospect if he keeps developing.

Hes everything Champ Man said Stephen McConalogue would be.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

The only back up players that you are showing that I have confidence in are Glass, Mochrie, Sporle and Mehmet and a couple of them lack experience as does Chalmers who is virtually untested.

We need more depth, more so now that we are in the Premiership.  The only thing in our favour is that other Premiership clubs may struggle to maintain or build strong squads due to the financial impact of COVID.

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The only back up players that you are showing that I have confidence in are Glass, Mochrie, Sporle and Mehmet and a couple of them lack experience as does Chalmers who is virtually untested.

We need more depth, more so now that we are in the Premiership.  The only thing in our favour is that other Premiership clubs may struggle to maintain or build strong squads due to the financial impact of COVID.

I’m not so bothered about depth, but the Connolly/Reynolds and Harkes/Butcher partnerships won’t be good enough. That said, bringing in an upgrade on Reynolds makes him the depth etc.

Obviously McMullan and Aperre are both capable of doing a job out wide, but we need another option that isn’t Peter Pawlett.

42 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I’m not so bothered about depth, but the Connolly/Reynolds and Harkes/Butcher partnerships won’t be good enough. That said, bringing in an upgrade on Reynolds makes him the depth etc.

Obviously McMullan and Aperre are both capable of doing a job out wide, but we need another option that isn’t Peter Pawlett.

I'm afraid I'm not quite as confident in this as you. McMullan was reasonably effective against Championship defences, but also flattered to deceive quite often.

Obviously I'll be delighted when he proves me wrong