The Dundee United Thread 22/23

We are backed into a corner now though, we need to defend ourselves again, based on the advice the clubs have received. Withdrawing would be a disaster. My issue comes from the start of all of this and the three clubs being named. Why wasn’t this just a direct case between Hearts and the SPFL (this may well have been answered elsewhere).

The court action specifically asked for the relegation to be reversed, which is why those three clubs were mentioned. They chose to seek their own legal advice as a result, which they were certainly entitled to do, but which I don't think they needed to do.

After losing in court it's less clear to me why they feel they need to have representation at the arbitration. The only key point of difference they had from the SPFL at the court case was that they wanted the case thrown out completely while the SPFL asked for arbitration. With that particular motion failing, it's not clear why they feel the need to carry on with it. Why not just leave it up to the SPFL, who are going to make roughly the same argument anyway?

Hearts seem to be clinging to the Dundee vote being the big flaw in all this.

So with 81% of the member clubs voting to end the season then why not just rubber the Dundee vote and the overall number goes from 81% to....wait for it....79%.

Still enough votes to get Hearts doon and away to f**k.

If they are unsuccessful which they should be, they should be told to play in the reserves for three seasons then out on loan to the juniors. 

Hearts seem to be clinging to the Dundee vote being the big flaw in all this.
So with 81% of the member clubs voting to end the season then why not just rubber the Dundee vote and the overall number goes from 81% to....wait for it....79%.
If they are unsuccessful which they should be, they should be told to play in the reserves for three seasons then out on loan to the juniors. 

This isn't correct. If the Dundee "No" voted had counted then the resolution would have failed to achieve the required proportion of votes from the Championship.

1 hour ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Harkes is so underrated by our fanbase it's unreal. 

What particular skills does he possess that are we all not seeing?

Would love to see the soft-as-shit midfielder who didn't stand out in the Championship boss it in the Premiership, but I doubt it somehow.

14 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Why don't we just ignore everyone vote that voted no, if we can suddenly just start binning votes? 

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They aren't having to do anything. The SPFL are already defending the action, which is indirectly a defence of the three promoted clubs. United, Raith and Cove have made their own decision to participate in this case, unsuccessfully so far.

I think United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers should have left the court dealing with the SPFL. Perhaps now that they've made a decision to involve their own legal team, they fee they can't withdraw from the next stage of the process.

Maybe generous benefactor, bleeding Heart James Anderson will heroically come to their aid with a donation.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Would love to see the soft-as-shit midfielder who didn't stand out in the Championship boss it in the Premiership, but I doubt it somehow.

Step forward : Martin Boyle. 

34 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Agree, Butcher is a better CH than the two who were first choice, when available, under Neilson.

Butcher may be better, but he should still only be an emergency centre-half.

We desperately need to sign someone there (preferably two), and if you think Butcher/Harkes is a winning Premiership midfield combo you've lost the plot - we need someone in there too.

Obviously another wide man is needed as well, and preferably someone (Nisbit) to prepare for when Shankland inevitably departs.

But it's not all doom and gloom - Cammy Smith is back 🤪

Edited by ArabFC

36 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I think United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers should have left the court dealing with the SPFL. Perhaps now that they've made a decision to involve their own legal team, they fee they can't withdraw from the next stage of the process.

I don't see why not. Hearts may have named us in the court case, but the arbitration is them vs the SPFL.

Obviously we could be affected, but surely any argument our lawyers would put forward is one that would be advanced by the SPFL in any case.

Not that our lawyers came out of the court case well anyway.

Edited by ArabFC

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

I don't see why not. Hearts may have named us in the court case, but the arbitration is them vs the SPFL.

Obviously we could be affected, but surely any argument our lawyers would put forward is one that would be advanced by the SPFL in an case.

Not that our lawyers came out of the court case well anyway.

Given there's a chance you could be put back down (albeit slim), I presume it's seen as a gamble to have the SPFL and their legal team argue the case on your behalf. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Given there's a chance you could be put back down (albeit slim), I presume it's seen as a gamble to have the SPFL and their legal team argue the case on your behalf. 

I could see the point if United felt there was an argument that the SPFL weren't willing to advance, but the SPFL are just as desperate to fight this off as United are.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

They aren't having to do anything. The SPFL are already defending the action, which is indirectly a defence of the three promoted clubs. United, Raith and Cove have made their own decision to participate in this case, unsuccessfully so far.

I thought the 3 promoted clubs were directly cited and hence had to mount their own defence?