The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Keep seeing that but 2nd Twente spell, both Derby spells win % , would have us sitting comfortably top 6.  For newly promoted that would be great and a good platform to build from.
He has been working for FIFA recently and his job involves covering Scotland so would be me more than aware, but believe he wants a "local" assistant.
Tommy Wright is he even interested? I would happily consider him for the role, but he did leave Saints, not happy with DoF, and wanting to spend more time at home in N Ireland. As he hasn't got NI job though who knows.
The win %s at Derby are not a great indicator - you should be getting at least that with that sort of team - a better indicator might be Newcastle where he was utterly clueless.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:
Keep seeing that but 2nd Twente spell, both Derby spells win % , would have us sitting comfortably top 6.  For newly promoted that would be great and a good platform to build from.
He has been working for FIFA recently and his job involves covering Scotland so would be me more than aware, but believe he wants a "local" assistant.
Tommy Wright is he even interested? I would happily consider him for the role, but he did leave Saints, not happy with DoF, and wanting to spend more time at home in N Ireland. As he hasn't got NI job though who knows.

The win %s at Derby are not a great indicator - you should be getting at least that with that sort of team - a better indicator might be Newcastle where he was utterly clueless.

I know it's what rival fans do, but still, having Dundee fans critiquing the record of Steve McClaren when they have James McPake in the dugout is a tad bizarre.

There won't be a manager in the game who has managed more than a half-dozen clubs, that doesn't have blots on his copybook. Certainly none that we could possibly attract - indeed, it still seems a little bonkers that he might be considering it. You mention the Newcastle gig. Word is he was on 50k a week there, so, y'know!

Simple fact is we'd be lucky to get him, and if it doesn't work out, well the vast majority of managerial appointments don't anyway.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I know it's what rival fans do, but still, having Dundee fans critiquing the record of Steve McClaren when they have James McPake in the dugout is a tad bizarre.

There won't be a manager in the game who has managed more than a half-dozen clubs, that doesn't have blots on his copybook. Certainly none that we could possibly attract - indeed, it still seems a little bonkers that he might be considering it. You mention the Newcastle gig. Word is he was on 50k a week there, so, y'know!

Simple fact is we'd be lucky to get him, and if it doesn't work out, well the vast majority of managerial appointments don't anyway.

To me he has a better record than Mackay & many players & those that have worked with him say he is a fantastic coach.

I'm just glad that we aren't going the usual route and entertaining different ideas.

It's funny reading peoples opinions of Steve McClaren and saying his win %age is this, he made an arse of this club and he only had x games there.

The guy may not have the best record on Earth but if he did hed be schooling wee Pep and the likes with his eyes closed at some European behemoth.

Look at the clubs hes been at. Hes managed the English national team. Hes won leagues with relative underdogs. Hes got huge experience working in top leagues around Europe. If he does come here it might go tits up for him like it has before, knowing us it will but if you're analysing his record then its miles better than any other in Scotland. And Malky? Hes not even close to Steve McClarens league.

Hes a top quality manager and better than chuffs like Gerrard and Lennon who have so much more money than the rest that a poorly trained monkey with their budget would have some Bigot arses twitching.

If he had gone to Celtic or The Zombies we'd all be saying that's a pretty good appointment for them.

If he ends up here itll be an enormously huge coop for the club and a massive pull for players who wouldn't normally think twice about coming here. I'd even be offering Shankland a cheeky 2 year extension during the honeymoon period!

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

those that have worked with him say he is a fantastic coach.

That's exactly why I think he'd be a terrific appointment at Tannadice. Just get him to coach and all will be rosy. 

I don't believe for a second he has been interviewed, or will be for that matter. 

It's not bizarre - we think McPake is shite as well.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

That's exactly why I think he'd be a terrific appointment at Tannadice. Just get him to coach and all will be rosy. 

I don't believe for a second he has been interviewed, or will be for that matter. 

Why do you not believe it? It's not some random forum chat, the reporter whose mates with Tony Asghar reported it so I would say that's pretty credible.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

Yes, I trust the reporting of a man who also reported that Shankland was signing, as well as literally every single United signing since Asghar came in.

Again, I'm failing to see what your point is?

3 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Yes, I trust the reporting of a man who also reported that Shankland was signing, as well as literally every single United signing since Asghar came in.

Again, I'm failing to see what your point is?

United were, by all accounts, set to offer Malky Mackay the job. After a backlash from fans and fan groups he's suddenly dropped out the race and the biggest name (who was a pipe dream at that point) has accelerated to a clear front runner. 

I fully expect it to fall through and to hear "we gave it our best go, boys" from Asghar. Probably in a 3 page spread with at least 4 different photos of himself. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

United were, by all accounts, set to offer Malky Mackay the job. After a backlash from fans and fan groups he's suddenly dropped out the race and the biggest name (who was a pipe dream at that point) has accelerated to a clear front runner. 

I fully expect it to fall through and to hear "we gave it our best go, boys" from Asghar. Probably in a 3 page spread with at least 4 different photos of himself. 

With respect you also claimed Wright agreed to take the job. Did United withdraw the job offer? 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You're basing this on what exactly?