The Dundee United Thread 22/23

42 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

This best bit about the rivalry is when Dundee fans come onto Dundee United topic, to talk of Dundee United they are called obsessed and jealous by posters whom, for the life of them, cannot make a post in the Dundee United topic (the team they support) without mentioning Dundee (a team they don't support, nor what the topic is about). 

Gets me everytime. 

It's really not. The Derby games are far better than reading your shite.

Move along.

On the manager, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was McCulloch. He is very much in the same bracket as Asghar with regards to ‘sports speak’. He’s gone on different sports management courses and is getting related qualifications, like his Masters in Sports Directorship (and I think he possibly started that after advice/support from Asghar). It feels like he has been moulded into someone who could step in.

13 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

On the manager, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was McCulloch. He is very much in the same bracket as Asghar with regards to ‘sports speak’. He’s gone on different sports management courses and is getting related qualifications, like his Masters in Sports Directorship (and I think he possibly started that after advice/support from Asghar). It feels like he has been moulded into someone who could step in.

McCulloch is a smashing guy who gets on well with the players. He seemed good at spotting a player but not so good at getting anything out of them, have my doubts if he’d do a job as manager.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I also think Asghar would be prefer McCulloch as he'll be compliant. 

He wasnt particularly good at Killie so dosent fill me with joy at the prospect.

(Still secretly in the Jens Lehmann camp no matter how pie in the sky it is)

Darren Fletcher for me, on the basis that he might be able to show Harkes, Butcher and Powers how to play proper football for an entire 90 minutes.

Happy to accept him as Lehmann's assistant though

53 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Darren Fletcher for me, on the basis that he might be able to show Harkes, Butcher and Powers how to play proper football for an entire 90 minutes.

Dream team settled.

53 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Genuinely I too would like to see the captain get his chance. 

You get the impression that a more recently retired player would be a better fit in terms of the structure at United.

As people have said, the vast majority of our managers get sacked for being shite and it's a lottery. I wouldn't have much of a problem with a novice being given the job.

At some point I would like to see Barry Robson as a manager. Either at us or elsewhere. When you listen to Scottish football podcasts etc you get the impression from those that have played with him he would possibly make a good manager. Sets very high standards, very determined.

8 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

At some point I would like to see Barry Robson as a manager. Either at us or elsewhere. When you listen to Scottish football podcasts etc you get the impression from those that have played with him he would possibly make a good manager. Sets very high standards, very determined.

Not always the best.

See Roy Keane and John Collins.

If we are to go for a rookie appointment Barry Robson or Jon Daly would be the 2 names that I would be happy with.

Wonder if John Robertson has been considered, comes across very well in my opinion and has done a decent job at ICT given the financial restraints he is working to. Recently signed a new contract so it would be a question of whether he has a release clause as I doubt ICT would be keen to lose him.

Some truly frightening names been linked and unlike when we appointed Neilson there is no obvious candidate this time.

Not always the best.

From what other say it seems like he does this in a more personable way, but that’s just based on a few interviews here and there. He might be an absolute b*****d.

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Not always the best.

High standards are fine. In fact it's a very good quality in a manager.

I don't think Robson is an absolute nut case or complete narcissist. Fiery, yes, but those two are off the scale in terms of their respective flaws.

I'd mostly worry about inexperience with Barry but I'd welcome him to Tannadice with open arms tbqhwy.