The Dundee United Thread 22/23

How good is the young lad Mochrie? One of my pals is related to him and he is always on about how he's a future Scotland star, is he right?

The club have huge hopes for him but we’ve seen little of him in the first team. He had been linked with a move to England last year, similar to Banks who ended up at Palace, but he has a long deal so hopefully he hangs about and gets a bit of game time next season.

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

The club have huge hopes for him but we’ve seen little of him in the first team. He had been linked with a move to England last year, similar to Banks who ended up at Palace, but he has a long deal so hopefully he hangs about and gets a bit of game time next season.

He's obviously proud of the laddie and is always showing highlight reels of him for Scotland n that, was just wondering what the actual fans thought, cheers. 

16 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

He's obviously proud of the laddie and is always showing highlight reels of him for Scotland n that, was just wondering what the actual fans thought, cheers. 

Always impossible to tell until they break into the first team.

Louis Appere, I'd never heard of until he was shipped off on loan to the juniors (at 19or20), but back he came and looks to have developed into a player.

Ali Coote on the other hand was rated as a talent from very early on, was a standout for Scotland at all age groups, until he broke into the first team, didn't impress all that much and has been most recently been spotted at Waterford.

41 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Always impossible to tell until they break into the first team.

Louis Appere, I'd never heard of until he was shipped off on loan to the juniors (at 19or20), but back he came and looks to have developed into a player.

Ali Coote on the other hand was rated as a talent from very early on, was a standout for Scotland at all age groups, until he broke into the first team, didn't impress all that much and has been most recently been spotted at Waterford.

And, of course, who remembers Stephen McConalogue?

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

And, of course, who remembers Stephen McConalogue?

McConalogue has been capped by Scotland from under-15 to under-21 level and remains Scotland's highest capped schoolboy internationalist, also holding the record for goals scored*

*wiki

Steven Presley on the Scottish football podcast talking some amount of shite! Saying there is worries about the money we will spend and our finances?? Also said Hearts will spend money. This is a a club that have just been cost cutting while we haven’t. Absolute moron honestly!

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

7 of those players out of 19 (which include youth players from the academy) were identified and signed mainly by the sporting director and others at the club.

Which may well be why he was so easily persuaded to leave the club...

9 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

True. But I think its a good idea to have good coaches over a far reaching manager role. 

In this day and ages it's much less common to have one man pulling all the strings. 

23 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

And thankfully he was easily convinced. 

I think the fact that Ogren said to Neilson "If you want to speak to them then theres no future for you here. We only want people who want to be at this club" would have put things into perspective for Neilson too. 

15 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

True. But I think its a good idea to have good coaches over a far reaching manager role. 

In this day and ages it's much less common to have one man pulling all the strings. 

Exactly. It gives continuity and stability when a manager does go. It's also why Levien and Wright wouldn't work well under the clubs new structure. Unless they were willing to change the way they work, of course. 

51 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Saying there is worries about the money we will spend and our finances?? Also said Hearts will spend money. This is a a club that have just been cost cutting while we haven’t. Absolute moron honestly!

He's not the only one saying those things, tbf. 

1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

Agreed. Dundee fans have also been sharing their concerns.

Is it only Dundee fans? 

Plenty of rumours have been around for a while about United's debt and whether or not it is actually being paid off or just moved to Ogren himself. 

Those rumours started long before you were posting losses of £4m. 

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

7 of those players out of 19 (which include youth players from the academy) were identified and signed mainly by the sporting director and others at the club. 

Neilsons actual picks are well known 🤣

If that's true, then it's a relief as theres no chance TW will work like that.

Is it only Dundee fans? 

Plenty of rumours have been around for a while about United's debt and whether or not it is actually being paid off or just moved to Ogren himself. 

That’s the problem with rumours though. They don’t originate anywhere specifically and pick up traction very quickly. Before you know it we are in financial difficulties without any real evidence pointing to it being true. A couple of tweets here and there can start a narrative that has little substance.

I have absolutely no clue what our finances look like, but neither does anyone else. My gut feeling? We are running at a big loss and need the Premiership (plus a couple of seasons of success in selling assets and doing well) to plug that gap. We are completely reliant on Ogren being two things - truthful and wealthy. But many other clubs are in a similar boat.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Is it only Dundee fans? 

Dundee fans have been circulating rumours about United’s impending financial meltdown pretty much since their own admin. Sorry, their own FIRST admin. Sometimes there will have been substance to the rumours, but others will have been a complete fabrication based on nothing more than bitter wishful thinking. Im sure times are tight at Tannadice, but I’ve not seen anything specific to make me think that we’re in any more trouble than pretty much every other club in Scotland right now. In fact, if anything I’ve seen more positive signs with United than most others - 5,000 season tickets sold, rumours of transfer fees being paid for players. Plus we have at least 1 very sellable asset in the playing squad right now.