The Dundee United Thread 22/23

United should be taking Hearts to court, if we are being honest. All their bullshit talk about trying to block our promotion can have a detrimental effect on our recruitment for the new season. How can we buy players or offer wages etc if this is hanging over us? Also, some player may want to join but only if we are playing in the top league.

Bottom line, get these Jambos to f**k

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

United should be taking Hearts to court, if we are being honest. All their bullshit talk about trying to block our promotion can have a detrimental effect on our recruitment for the new season. How can we buy players or offer wages etc if this is hanging over us? Also, some player may want to join but only if we are playing in the top league.

Bottom line, get these Jambos to f**k

Can we bin this gibberish please? The number of folk who have no clue about the law talking about suing each other is as depressing as it is hilarious.

As far as I can make out, Hearts seem to be arguing that the decision to promote and relegate teams is irrational or unreasonable. 

But that is a high test at common law, requiring the petitioner to show the decision is "so unreasonable that no reasonable decision-maker could have made it" within the parameters of their discretion.

My own opinion (without seeing the petition) is that they don't have a hope in hell.

Edited by ArabFC

54 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Can we bin this gibberish please? The number of folk who have no clue about the law talking about suing each other is as depressing as it is hilarious.

As far as I can make out, Hearts seem to be arguing that the decision to promote and relegate teams is irrational or unreasonable. 

But that is a high test at common law, requiring the petitioner to show the decision is "so unreasonable that no reasonable decision-maker could have made it" within the parameters of their discretion.

My own opinion (without seeing the petition) is that they don't have a hope in hell.

Yeah it's an odd angle to take given they are members of the league and 81% of the league (including them) agreed to the action. 

I see we've joined the statement squad within the last hour 

Statement in the fishal 

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6494/JOINT-STATEMENT-FROM-DUNDEE-UNITED-FOOTBALL-CLUB-RAITH-ROVERS-FOOTBALL-CLUB-AND-COVE-RANGERS-FOOTBALL-CLUB.html?key=dufc&utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dundeeunitedfc

On Wednesday Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers were served with a petition lodged in the Court of Session by fellow SPFL member clubs, Heart of Midlothian and Partick Thistle, which, if successful, could prevent our clubs’ promotions, and potentially have catastrophic financial implications for every SPFL member club as well.  

Whilst we are extremely unhappy that we have been drawn into this legal action, we can confirm that we immediately instructed external lawyers to act on our behalf and to protect our clubs’ interests. Since the SPFL resolution was passed by 81% of member clubs on 15th April 2020, which confirmed us all as title winners who were to be promoted, we have undertaken extensive and costly preparations for a new season in new leagues, including obtaining major financial commitments from our supporters, business partners and stakeholders. Our removal from those leagues would be ruinous on and off the field.

We have each had a highly successful season, brought to a premature end by something bigger than our clubs and bigger than our sport.  Our status as champions of our respective leagues is not being contested, and nor should the promotion which has always, and should always, come with it.

The legal action that has been raised by Heart of Midlothian and Partick Thistle not only threatens the financial stability of the SPFL, but also its individual member clubs.

For all of these reasons, we must and will robustly defend our position.

As legal proceedings are now underway, we intend to make no further comment on the matter at this time.

Edited by MacGafraidh
Url

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Looks like somebody took Sarto up on his suggestion to google Wednesbury Unreasonableness. 

Guest DAVIDB69

Everything that happened before could see a court case though , the Dundee vote nonsense , the suspicious letter to UEFA before any vote. As a United fan I was never celebrating till we had fixtures , as I knew this would come back at some point . There is little chance of the season starting 1st August

20 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

There is little chance of the season starting 1st August

Nice to see you've moved on.

In the past two months you've claimed Sky would walk away from the 20/21 deal, they would refuse to pay out for the 19/20 season, that reconstruction will be forced through by the SPFL board, that almost every team will go bust, that no fans will go to games next season. I'm fairly sure you've also been claiming, multiple times, that the SPFL will face compensation fees that will see most teams go bust aswell.

22 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Everything that happened before could see a court case though , the Dundee vote nonsense , the suspicious letter to UEFA before any vote. As a United fan I was never celebrating till we had fixtures , as I knew this would come back at some point . There is little chance of the season starting 1st August

Why? What exactly was wrong with the Dundee vote? As per SPFL rules only Yes votes count. If Dundee's vote was yes then it would have stood. As the clubs had 28 days to vote and the 7 days was a request but not enforceable, again as per SPFL rules it was allowed. The issue with it not being received in time is not untoward. Having worked in ICT for over 20 years including with these types of mail systems, this happens all the time and is not unheard of or unbelievable.

9 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

You sit in the GF Lower, don't you?

Would Neilson be likely to want to return to Hearts?

Maybe, aye. If they bump his pay I don't see why not - he's got more of a connection to them than us.

If they do, I'd bring back Sir Craig of Levein.