Jack Macartney RIP

cmontheloknow

Jack's first coaching job was at Petershill, and he had a side which I'm told played some brilliant football, which his Shettleston sides of the 80s and 90s also did. He was always good company and could tell a story or ten, condolences to David, Alan and all the family, and all Jack's friends, of which there are very many.

28 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Jack's first coaching job was at Petershill, and he had a side which I'm told played some brilliant football, which his Shettleston sides of the 80s and 90s also did. He was always good company and could tell a story or ten, condolences to David, Alan and all the family, and all Jack's friends, of which there are very many.

Well said! Got to know him at shettleston, and also when he founded the game magazine! Only ten stories... I can recall at least 20!! I concur with your message to his family and friends. 

Sad news great junior football man. Condolences. 

My old grandfather used to live next to haghill park and took me to the odd dennistoun waverley match before they folded in the late 60s. 

Did Jack play for the club?

I'm sure his name was mentioned but it's that long ago now! 

1 hour ago, TFW said:

I used to write a number of articles for his Junior magazine The Game, back in the early to mid 1990s. Think it ran for about a dozen issues.

Magazine had huge problems with its overall circulation out to junior clubs and those who had social clubs. Jack wrote the main editorial and he never pulled any punches!!

3 hours ago, traffordab said:

Sad news great junior football man. Condolences. 

My old grandfather used to live next to haghill park and took me to the odd dennistoun waverley match before they folded in the late 60s. 

Did Jack play for the club?

I'm sure his name was mentioned but it's that long ago now! 

I think jack also used to scout players for an English club. I  am sure he and Tam young worked together at peasy. I know they had Norrie Fulton in the ranks. Tam moved to pollok He paid a sizeable transfer fee to take Norrie over the city to newlandsfield. The striking legend  scored  the only goal in a Hampden park win against old rivals Arthurlie. Every year campsite black watch held their pre season tournament at station park, in front of huge crowds, jack was always in attendance. He and Mr gerry  Marley would also speak about various players capable of doing a job at under 21, junior or senior level. Sadly, after today's announcement both are  no longer with us.

2 hours ago, coach said:

I think jack also used to scout players for an English club. I  am sure he and Tam young worked together at peasy. I know they had Norrie Fulton in the ranks. Tam moved to pollok He paid a sizeable transfer fee to take Norrie over the city to newlandsfield. The striking legend  scored  the only goal in a Hampden park win against old rivals Arthurlie. Every year campsite black watch held their pre season tournament at station park, in front of huge crowds, jack was always in attendance. He and Mr gerry  Marley would also speak about various players capable of doing a job at under 21, junior or senior level. Sadly, after today's announcement both are  no longer with us.

Thank you very much for the info. 

Two great football men i agree.

So many now have been lost to the junior and juvenile world in recent years sadly. 

1 minute ago, traffordab said:

Thank you very much for the info. 

Two great football men i agree.

So many now have been lost to the junior and juvenile world in recent years sadly. 

It is very sad. I also noted forth wanderers have also lost a gentleman who has given around 40 years service. Great men

• 1 year later...

So Sorry to hear Jack had passed away. He signed me for Petershill when I was 17 from Bargeddie Amateurs.  Was just googling him when this came up. We were both in the printing trade and always kept in touch with each other. He signed me again for Ashfield from Kilsyth Rangers in the 80’s. A great man. My thoughts are with his family.

Kevin Boyce

3B102359-F0BB-4DB1-8557-A49C6AD81F09.jpeg