Films that produce tears

DA Baracus

Hotel Rwanda. The scene at the end where Paul and his wife are desperately searching the misplaced children camp for their nieces. Always produces a few tears when they find them.

film:

I didn't cry the first 3 or 4 times I watched Saving Private Ryan, but one time I rewatched it and the scene after they attack the MG nest and Tom Hanks has to sneak away to break down in tears out of sight from his men got to me, was blubbering for a solid minute after that. I'm still not sure why it caught me since I knew it was coming and everything, but I think it's because I was a little bit older and sort of "got" the scene a bit better (he's absolutely devastated at losing one of his men but doesn't feel like he can openly show it, just issues matter of fact orders after its all done; at first watch it was just "oh he's sad because he lost one of his men" but the added fact he can't openly show his grief over it got to me)

I Am Legend got me at the same bit mentioned earlier in the thread. John Wick too, not helped by the fact my mum and dad have a beagle (oh god it doesn't show it but it clearly crawled to him while he was unconscious, god fucking damn it)

As a child, there's probably a good few but Gremlins 2 really got me when they fling Gizmo into the fucking vent, was in hysterics because I thought he was done for. Didn't cry at it on any rewatches.

edit: Iron Giant. SU..PER...MAN..

tv:

last time was a surprising one for me, relatively recent - Better Call Saul, the moment Chuck says "BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A REAL LAWYER!" and Saul's pained reaction stung me right in the feels. I've got 2 older brothers so maybe that amplified it a bit, although my relationship with them isn't anywhere near as toxic as Saul and Chuck thankfully. Just meant I had maybe more empathy than normal, plus it sort of caught me out in a "holy shit I didn't expect this from this show" way.

futurama: "Here lies Philip Fry, named for his uncle to carry on his spirit" and "If it taaaakes forever... I will waaait for you..." as above, GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I'll throw in one from the wean. When he was a tot, he loved the film Cars, and it would get a viewing every day. He'd watched it dozens of times when, suddenly, the tractor-tipping scene took on a new significance. He'd get nervous when Mater was showing McQueen how to tip the tractors then, when McQueen revs his high-powered engine and tips ALL the tractors, my wee boy would explode in hysterical tears and need big cuddles for a minute to calm down. Then Frank the Combine Harvester would appear to chase the miscreants away, and all was well again.

No idea what that was all about. You'd think Frank appearing would be a scarier moment than the tractor tipping. He doesn't remember any of that now, so I'll never know, but I think he's just a big softie like his old man and was upset on behalf of the tractors  :P

I got a bit of grit in my eye  during the finale of "Gallipoli" (starring a young Mel Gibson) the first time I watched it. And there were a few scenes in "Brassed Off" that had my allergies playing up.
Re: Brassed Off, I would put my house on the bit where Danny is in hospital and the band play Danny Boy outside his window as being one of the scenes.

Reading this has made me realise I'm one seriously buttoned-up guy. Trust issues probably.

However, Zulu when the Welsh soldiers sing Men of Harlech. I may have slightly misted up a bit.

And the old movie Geordie. 6 stone weakling becomes a big Scottish lump, goes to Olympics and imagines his gf in the Highlands cheering him on. "Come away ma wee Geordie". Sob...

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

Reading this has made me realise I'm one seriously buttoned-up guy. Trust issues probably.

However, Zulu when the Welsh soldiers sing Men of Harlech. I may have slightly misted up a bit.

And the old movie Geordie. 6 stone weakling becomes a big Scottish lump, goes to Olympics and imagines his gf in the Highlands cheering him on. "Come away ma wee Geordie". Sob...

I like how your stiff upper lip attitude connects with your avatar.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I like how your stiff upper lip attitude connects with your avatar.

It was chosen on a whim, sadly I have nothing of the great man's style.

I thought of using a photo of Dougie Imrie, but I'm too thin skinned for the inevitable incoming it would generate 👍

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:
On 15/05/2020 at 22:27, Shotgun said:
I got a bit of grit in my eye  during the finale of "Gallipoli" (starring a young Mel Gibson) the first time I watched it. And there were a few scenes in "Brassed Off" that had my allergies playing up.

Re: Brassed Off, I would put my house on the bit where Danny is in hospital and the band play Danny Boy outside his window as being one of the scenes.

Phil's story arc really got to me. Perhaps because it was uncannily similar to that of someone I know in real life.

Infuriatingly, Brassed Off was marketed here as a RomCom, with only Ewan McGregor & Tara Fitzgerald on the promo posters. Often not even in character, and with little to indicate what the film was about. This of course, meant that a lot of the target audience didn't see it. 

On 11/07/2020 at 18:54, Thistle_do_nicely said:

film:

I didn't cry the first 3 or 4 times I watched Saving Private Ryan, but one time I rewatched it and the scene after they attack the MG nest and Tom Hanks has to sneak away to break down in tears out of sight from his men got to me, was blubbering for a solid minute after that. I'm still not sure why it caught me since I knew it was coming and everything, but I think it's because I was a little bit older and sort of "got" the scene a bit better (he's absolutely devastated at losing one of his men but doesn't feel like he can openly show it, just issues matter of fact orders after its all done; at first watch it was just "oh he's sad because he lost one of his men" but the added fact he can't openly show his grief over it got to me)

I Am Legend got me at the same bit mentioned earlier in the thread. John Wick too, not helped by the fact my mum and dad have a beagle (oh god it doesn't show it but it clearly crawled to him while he was unconscious, god fucking damn it)

As a child, there's probably a good few but Gremlins 2 really got me when they fling Gizmo into the fucking vent, was in hysterics because I thought he was done for. Didn't cry at it on any rewatches.

edit: Iron Giant. SU..PER...MAN..

tv:

last time was a surprising one for me, relatively recent - Better Call Saul, the moment Chuck says "BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A REAL LAWYER!" and Saul's pained reaction stung me right in the feels. I've got 2 older brothers so maybe that amplified it a bit, although my relationship with them isn't anywhere near as toxic as Saul and Chuck thankfully. Just meant I had maybe more empathy than normal, plus it sort of caught me out in a "holy shit I didn't expect this from this show" way.

futurama: "Here lies Philip Fry, named for his uncle to carry on his spirit" and "If it taaaakes forever... I will waaait for you..." as above, GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

Really annoyed me when Chuck completely messed his brother up because of his snobbery.

University Of American Samoa. :lol:
Like who was he to judge? He was scared of a lightbulb

On 15/07/2020 at 18:41, Academically Deficient said:

Watched Galipoli on Film 4 this afternoon. Great film. 2 members of our family fought in that battle so was maybe  a wee bit more connected to it than other war films.

The end is very upsetting.

There's a Gallipoli TV series on Amazon Prime. Well worth checking out.

In terms of the LotR series there was two scenes that got me which haven't been mentioned but made me well up. Theoden's death and when Frodo sent Sam away.

My childhood was spent blubbering at the following...

dcdmcmw-2e5cdfdf-6466-413b-88b5-b797854ef218.jpg

Edited by Rizzo

On 13/07/2020 at 03:29, Academically Deficient said:

2 good shouts there. I quite often watch the Men of Harlech clip on Youtube when I'm in a certain mood.

11 hours ago, Rizzo said:

In terms of the LotR series there was two scenes that got me which haven't been mentioned but made me well up. Theoden's death and when Frodo sent Sam away.

My childhood was spent blubbering at the following...

dcdmcmw-2e5cdfdf-6466-413b-88b5-b797854ef218.jpg

Theoden grieving over his son is another.

Land Before Time is a brilliant film. Absolutely loved it when I was a kid. That scene above is so sad. I'd probably be an utter wreck watching it today.

28 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

f**k the f**k off.

It's genuinely harrowing! Just absolutely devastating, and I'm not a parent and I was in bits, genuine sobbing, so I can only imagine how much worse it is for those who do have kids.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Land Before Time is a brilliant film. Absolutely loved it when I was a kid. That scene above is so sad. I'd probably be an utter wreck watching it today.

It's genuinely harrowing! Just absolutely devastating, and I'm not a parent and I was in bits, genuine sobbing, so I can only imagine how much worse it is for those who do have kids.

Pixar have cornered the market in films that out of nowhere kick you right in the stomach.

My kids watched Land Before Time recently and I had to make an excuse to leave the room at the scene above.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I watched it again fpr some nostalgia as ot appeared on Netflix recently. Managed to get through the scene I posted there but lost it when he has the conversation with the old dinosaur that he meets in the next scene.

"Oh... I see, I see"

:bairn