Kelvin Hall Five a sides

Ian38018

I have vague memories of attending a Five a Side tournament at the Kelvin Hall in the early 1980s.

It was either the year before, or the year after the Tennent's Sixes began (1984).

My sole recollection is of Celtic and Rangers being eliminated at the semi-finals stage, and a pair of lower league sides (?Airdrie & ?Dumbarton) contesting the final.

Does anyone know anything about this tournament?  Was it a yearly thing, or a one-off?

3 minutes ago, gogsy said:

I remember I used to have the programmes for the 1980 and 81 tournaments, as you say the Kidney Research logo was on the front page. 1980 tournament included a separate amateur event, seem to remember Ballingry Rovers being there as they had been Scottish Amateur runners up.

I attended a few times back then but my memory of any of them is very limited.

What I liked about them was that it was a great leveller. Smaller teams were more than a match for the big teams at the time. 

On 15/05/2020 at 19:41, Ian38018 said:

I have vague memories of attending a Five a Side tournament at the Kelvin Hall in the early 1980s.

It was either the year before, or the year after the Tennent's Sixes began (1984).

My sole recollection is of Celtic and Rangers being eliminated at the semi-finals stage, and a pair of lower league sides (?Airdrie & ?Dumbarton) contesting the final.

Does anyone know anything about this tournament?  Was it a yearly thing, or a one-off?

Pretty sure that's the same one I was at, Clyde v Berwick Rangers in the final if I remember correctly.

I remember being at a fives tournament at the old Paisley ice rink. There was an amateur competition with QP's Hampden XI  (third team) and venerable sides like PO Phones from the Combined Reserve League. Possibly late 60s. By the end, melted water was coming through the wooden flooring.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Where were the team PO Phones based, have noticed the name from them playing Fife teams in Scottish amateur cup a few times.

I think they were a Glasgow team. Hearts "C" team played in the Combined Reserve League for a while, but I think the rest were based around Glasgow.