What's the best and worst thing to happen to your Club?

Best - Winning cup finals against Celtic and Rangers. 
Getting a chance to take on Bayern and take the lead against them. There will never be any greater feeling than they goals going in and the unbridled joy and celebration that it brought.

Worst - Claude Anelka and his chronnies ending up at our club, purely as a ploy to move them on for what he hoped would be decent fees. He didn’t realise you had to actually be good at football for this to be possible. It caused a lot of financial trouble at the club and we were just rotten until John Mcglynn took over. 

Best: Appointing a 34 year old coach at Dundee as our new manager named James Yuil McLeanThis set in motion the extraordinary period in our history. 

Worst: Stephen Thompson deciding he wanted to buy an Australian club (and failing at that) which meant the money he  put in to United became loans that had to repaid promptly and sold our best players replacing them with diddies.  This ushered in our worst period in modern times. 

20 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

Best: Appointing a 34 year old coach at Dundee as our new manager named James Yuil McLeanThis set in motion the extraordinary period in our history. 

Worst: Stephen Thompson deciding he wanted to buy an Australian club (and failing at that) which meant the money he  put in to United became loans that had to repaid promptly and sold our best players replacing them with diddies.  This ushered in our worst period in modern times. 

Did Thompson actually get much back? I just got the impression that the finances become quite tight and he just couldn't afford to keep up his same level of backing rather than clawing it back.

Best: Yet to happen. I'm ever the optimist. In my time watching them, rather pathetically, it might be Jim Duffy stabilising us and getting us promoted after the horror show the season before and then turning us into a solid Championship team again. We could easily have done a Clyde, went part time, and been stuck in the seaside leagues with minnows like Airdrie and Falkirk.

Worst: Hugh Scott buying the club. Hope he survives the Coronavirus outbreak. If he dies and I don't get to celebrate it at Cappielow I'll be raging. He better be practising social distancing.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's all been "best thing" for five or six years now.  Suddenly going from a mid-table non-League side whose only title was in 2006, to winning back-to-back Lowland titles at the moment a lobbying-free route to the SPFL opened up.  Slaughtering Cove Rangers and squeaking past East Stirlingshire to become the first team to play their way into the Scottish League.  Two seasons scrabbling to avoid the relegation play-offs was a bit tense, but we've been promotion challengers for the last two seasons.

Worst things?  Can't get a ground sorted out yet.  Other than that, the only time I've felt really gutted in the last five years was losing to Brora Rangers on penalties in the 2015 play-offs.  Losing at Connah's Quay (also on penalties) in the 2019 Challenge Cup semi-final wasn't much fun either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'll stick to things that happened in my lifetime.

Best: Winning the First Division in 1996

Worst: Administration. Dishonorable mention to the 10,000 all seater rule and the Elvis figure in Legends.

Edited by DA Baracus

• 2 weeks later...

Best: Geoff Brown and the move to McDiarmid. As much as I loved and miss Muirton, it was in a sorry state at the end. McDiarmid is a fucking soulless place, but the timing of the move was perfect and undoubtedly attracted a higher standard of player to Saints at the time. The fact that we capitalised so successfully by winning promotion in our first season and turning fulltime laid the groundwork for the most successful spell in our history.

Worst: Remaining part-time when we were promoted in 1983. We got some serious scuddings in the Prem the following season.

• 9 months later...