Sign in to follow this  
sjc

What's the best and worst thing to happen to your Club?

As the thread title says, what's the one thing you'd pinpoint as the best and worst thing to happen to your Club?

Please give reasons to justify your choices.

Best - Winning cup finals against Celtic and Rangers. 
Getting a chance to take on Bayern and take the lead against them. There will never be any greater feeling than they goals going in and the unbridled joy and celebration that it brought.

Worst - Claude Anelka and his chronnies ending up at our club, purely as a ploy to move them on for what he hoped would be decent fees. He didn’t realise you had to actually be good at football for this to be possible. It caused a lot of financial trouble at the club and we were just rotten until John Mcglynn took over. 

Best: Appointing a 34 year old coach at Dundee as our new manager named James Yuil McLeanThis set in motion the extraordinary period in our history. 

Worst: Stephen Thompson deciding he wanted to buy an Australian club (and failing at that) which meant the money he  put in to United became loans that had to repaid promptly and sold our best players replacing them with diddies.  This ushered in our worst period in modern times. 

20 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

Best: Appointing a 34 year old coach at Dundee as our new manager named James Yuil McLeanThis set in motion the extraordinary period in our history. 

Worst: Stephen Thompson deciding he wanted to buy an Australian club (and failing at that) which meant the money he  put in to United became loans that had to repaid promptly and sold our best players replacing them with diddies.  This ushered in our worst period in modern times. 

Did Thompson actually get much back? I just got the impression that the finances become quite tight and he just couldn't afford to keep up his same level of backing rather than clawing it back.

Best: winning the league in 1961/62 closely followed by reaching the European Cup SF the following season.

Worst: too fucking many.

Best: Yet to happen. I'm ever the optimist. In my time watching them, rather pathetically, it might be Jim Duffy stabilising us and getting us promoted after the horror show the season before and then turning us into a solid Championship team again. We could easily have done a Clyde, went part time, and been stuck in the seaside leagues with minnows like Airdrie and Falkirk.

Worst: Hugh Scott buying the club. Hope he survives the Coronavirus outbreak. If he dies and I don't get to celebrate it at Cappielow I'll be raging. He better be practising social distancing.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix