Billy Connolly

8 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I really warmed to Connolly again after listening to him on the Adam Buxton podcast recently. It’s a good listen if you have a spare hour. He talks about Rafferty’s later days, sitting in his own pish in a hostel in Ireland.

I'll give that a go. Billy is looking a bit fcuked the now. He is a good cnut.

Very funny guy. Sad to see and listen to him now though.

Have heard though that most of his early jokes/stories happened to other people that he worked with and not to him. 

Still funny as f**k though.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He was funny once upon a time, the Cruxifixction and the story about the priest coming to visit with the coats on the bed were good.

He became a pretentious twat who started to speak with the most ridiculous accent.

This.

He sold his working class soul and altered his accent, like GD says, once he reached the national TV networks.  Then he cranked his knobheadery up to malky after he started mixing with those and those from the gentrified set in englandshire. 

52 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'll give that a go. Billy is looking a bit fcuked the now. He is a good cnut.

Needs to get a few pints of bitter down him again, then he'll be right as rain.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I really warmed to Connolly again after listening to him on the Adam Buxton podcast recently. It’s a good listen if you have a spare hour. He talks about Rafferty’s later days, sitting in his own pish in a hostel in Ireland.

I have had that lined up for ages. lost my way with my podcasts recently but I canny wait to listen to this one.

(like and sub---scribe, Likeandsubcribe.)

This.

He sold his working class soul and altered his accent, like GD says, once he reached the national TV networks.  Then he cranked his knobheadery up to malky after he started mixing with those and those from the gentrified set in englandshire. 
I have to change the way I speak when I talk to folk on my training course in Glasgow. I have to change the way I speak almost completely when I speak to folk down in Carlisle. He maybe changed his for the same reason and found it simpler to continue talking that way on TV. I expect Kevin Bridges is the same. He'll likely sound different off camera. In what way has he sold his working class soul?

I’ve saw him live twice. Think it was the kings theatre first time we were 2 rows in front of Elaine C Smith and he was amazing. Second time it was secc and was ok until he started some religious nonsense and the crowd were silent so he walked off. He’d only been on just over 30mins. The crowd were not happy.

He will definitely go down as my favourite comedian of my youth. Some of his stories actually hurt my sides laughing, crucifixion being one of the best.

8 hours ago, btb said:

I remember when "The Big Yin" was a Thistle fan! :whistle

There's a few of us about!

Saw him live at The Riverside, Coleraine (1983?) , absolutely hilarious. He was talking about the Falklands War. ",,,and just in case the Argies didn't think we were coming we showed them where we were every night on TV".

The wildebeest and getting old stuff i still enjoy. Talking about isobel as well. The youngest one had algebra school work the other day and i wanted to start telling him that 1bs - b, 2bs is a couple of bs. 

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

When did he stop being funny? I’m guessing 1995.

I don’t think he ever stopped being funny, I remember him being on Parkinson in 2004 with Kelly Holmes and Tom Cruise and he totally stole the show that night. I think his Ken Bigley joke was in 2008 which may have been the beginning of the end for him though. 

My Dad used to claim similar to what GD said about how he had abandoned his roots and got pretentious and less funny over the years but that’s just shite. He got famous and successful because he was funny and talented and as a result of this he didn’t need to work in the shipyards of Govan anymore and didn’t live in a deprived area of Glasgow so his material changed accordingly. Clearly some element of jealousy from the people who didn’t like the fact he was living in America and doing films with Tom Cruise and Judy Dench.

I think he’s brilliant myself, one of the best stand up comedians of all time and an absolute national treasure. 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, hearthammer said:
This.

I have to change the way I speak when I talk to folk on my training course in Glasgow. I have to change the way I speak almost completely when I speak to folk down in Carlisle. He maybe changed his for the same reason and found it simpler to continue talking that way on TV. I expect Kevin Bridges is the same. He'll likely sound different off camera. In what way has he sold his working class soul?

There’s a difference between changing how you speak for certain ‘audiences’ and affecting a pretentiously daft accent.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He was funny once upon a time, the Cruxifixction and the story about the priest coming to visit with the coats on the bed were good.

He became a pretentious twat who started to speak with the most ridiculous accent.

He was a pretentious twat when he took the Windsor's shilling.

But he was always a funny bugger.

9 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Needs to get a few pints of bitter down him again, then he'll be right as rain.

Bitter? surely ye mean heavy?

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, hearthammer said:
This.

In what way has he sold his working class soul?

When he accepted a knighthood from the Windsors.

That's when I stopped sending him Christmas cards

In the early days he used tae say he had more in common with the workers of Liverpool etc than with the highland lairds.

How times have changed.

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t think he ever stopped being funny, I remember him being on Parkinson in 2004 with Kelly Holmes and Tom Cruise and he totally stole the show that night. I think his Ken Bigley joke was in 2008 which may have been the beginning of the end for him though. 

My Dad used to claim similar to what GD said about how he had abandoned his roots and got pretentious and less funny over the years but that’s just shite. He got famous and successful because he was funny and talented and as a result of this he didn’t need to work in the shipyards of Govan anymore and didn’t live in a deprived area of Glasgow so his material changed accordingly. Clearly some element of jealousy from the people who didn’t like the fact he was living in America and doing films with Tom Cruise and Judy Dench.

I think he’s brilliant myself, one of the best stand up comedians of all time and an absolute national treasure. 

I think it was New York in 2005.

He wisnae funny as all he did was shout and swear and tell unfunny jokes.

He was but since he's a Sir he's a cnut