Tom English - What's the opinion?

Tom English  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like him.  He's one of the few on Radio Scotland that I think are worth listening to - some of the overreaction for what was admittedly a tonal misstep on recent developments have been pretty poor show from the Celtic crowd.  Compared to some of the other brain donors on that station he's still comfortably among the best.

6 hours ago, bennett said:

On that part I was, though Tom was just skimming through every team so he couldn't fully analyse every detail. 

For goodness sake,  just admit you were wrong. Mainly because you were wrong. It's not a major thing. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

For goodness sake,  just admit you were wrong. Mainly because you were wrong. It's not a major thing

Best for zombie fans if they stay in denial to any truths., otherwise if they admit to getting one thing wrong, It could be the acorn that grew into an oak tree,  opening up the floodgates to them realizing Sevco's whole existence is a lie. 

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Good. It's nice to be honest every now and then. 

Self improvement Joey, I'm glad I was able to help you better yourself. 

I've never bought a newspaper that he had an article in so my only exposure to him is on Radio Scotland. He doesn't really wind me up to be honest. He just strikes me as one of those journos who likes to make everything seem worse than it really is and be contrarian in order to get a reaction. 

3 minutes ago, The Chief said:

I've never bought a newspaper that he had an article in so my only exposure to him is on Radio Scotland. He doesn't really wind me up to be honest. He just strikes me as one of those journos who likes to make everything seem worse than it really is and be contrarian in order to get a reaction. 

You're thinking of Kris Boyd. Ok, I made the journo bit up.

19 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:
On 20/05/2020 at 01:28, jaybeee said:

No coherent rebuttal; eh!  just MAMMY he swore at me.......tosser.

haha. nutter.

My apologies old boy, so inconsiderate of me to respond with words of three syllables when you are quite clearly struggling with capitalisation, punctuation and sentence formation.  Oh dear I am a cad aren't I? ...........Still better than being a tosser who can't  capitalise, punctuate of gather together sufficient letters to form a  intelligent response.

4 hours ago, jaybeee said:

My apologies old boy, so inconsiderate of me to respond with words of three syllables when you are quite clearly struggling with capitalisation, punctuation and sentence formation.  Oh dear I am a cad aren't I? ...........Still better than being a tosser who can't  capitalise, punctuate of gather together sufficient letters to form a  intelligent response.

*or

**an

18 hours ago, Estragon said:

I like him.  He's one of the few on Radio Scotland that I think are worth listening to - some of the overreaction for what was admittedly a tonal misstep on recent developments have been pretty poor show from the Celtic crowd.  Compared to some of the other brain donors on that station he's still comfortably among the best.

And that's the crux of it. I consider that it essentially comes down to the BBC's obsession with ex-pros and even at that, ex-pros well past their sell by date (Willie Miller, Pat Bonner etc) offering opinions from their own tired perspective and myopic understanding. Same to an extent for other BBC football shows like Match of the Day etc. There seems to be a reluctance to use too many journalists as the feeling is perhaps your average punter wouldn't relate to them as they "have never played the game".

That is why there is no comparison in level and intricacy of debate between podcasts like Football Weekly and Totally Football and the likes of Sportsound - the former offering informed interesting opinion and debate, whereas the latter offers a cycle of cliche and tired tabloid headline generated arguments. Within that company  and with the  bar set so low, English stands out as one of the better contributors. 

Guest JTS98
16 hours ago, The Chief said:

He comes across as a contrarian on Radio Scotland because the people he's usually discussing with are thick as f**k.

Same is often the case with Michael Stewart.

I don't think either of them are geniuses, but it's not unusual to hear either of them quite reasonably exasperated because the likes of Willie Miller are disagreeing with them while having no idea what they're actually talking about. It's easy to seem contrarian when surrounded by idiots.

Edited by JTS98

18 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Has he had a coronary over the English Leagues decision to follow the Scottish/French/Belgian etc examples today?
No thought not.

No, he's been busy arguing with Div today.

On 18/05/2020 at 20:28, Jambomo said:

I used to think that English was decent when he started out but over the years he’s been dragged down to the standard of the rest of the Scottish football media.

I can’t remember exactly what the situation was but it was last year I noticed that he was coming out with stuff on Twitter that was just bizarre and really illogical reasoning from someone who should be capable of understanding reason.

It’s just like this situation. Whatever the feeling towards the SPFL, Rangers, reconstruction etc it’s clear that the way Rangers went about this was awful and it completely undermined their valid arguments and therefore, the vote itself.

That English can’t seem to see that or understand what’s happened is just bizarre. That he doubles down and attacks people on Twitter when they don’t agree is completely wrong from a BBC employee.

This is basically what I was going to say as well. On the radio he’s able to put his point across well (most of the time), he’s not a stupid man and is a competent orator. However, he massively benefits from being on the same programme as guys like Bonner and Young.

His recent Twitter postings though are the work of a thin skinned braggart. He does need to put up with his fair share of idiots but he brushes off valid criticisms with a real arrogance. 

The best thing I found from English's recent tweets was nothing to do with his footballing insights, merely that a Ms Georgie Lyall had commented on one of them regarding hitting 100k followers. 

Upon clicking her profile and being taken to her own feed, one is able to view some samples of her 'work'. 

Extremely NSFW if you were of a mind to investigate , but definitely an accomplished Scottish artiste in her field. 

1 hour ago, DosserDel said:

The best thing I found from English's recent tweets was nothing to do with his footballing insights, merely that a Ms Georgie Lyall had commented on one of them regarding hitting 100k followers. 

Upon clicking her profile and being taken to her own feed, one is able to view some samples of her 'work'. 

Extremely NSFW if you were of a mind to investigate , but definitely an accomplished Scottish artiste in her field. 

I think that was somebody else's field she was in.