Tom English - What's the opinion?

Tom English  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dunno what he's like on Sportsound, as I never listen to it, but his articles on the BBC Scottish football page are getting more tedious and less coherent as time goes on. I may have missed something that clearly enunciates his position (though I doubt it), but I genuinely don't understand wtf he's on about most of the time. "Big teams good, wee teams bad" seems to be the gist of it, as far as I can tell.

I think we'll be seeing more of him at The Caley Stadium next season, can't see him being a regular on Sportsound for much longer.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You maybe right the BBC don't like people picking sides he is possibly working his ticket or retiring.
I've got no problem with the egg chaser picking a side I prefer people to speak their mind but when it gets personal I question the motivation. 
Has he crossed the line everyone's tolerance level's are different.   

He certainly crossed the line with the pyramid situation. 

Gardiner started feeding him stories. He ran with it. Chose a side. Gardiner turns out to be a less than honest plotter. English instead of backing off and admitting he backed the wrong horse has just doubled down which has made himself look even more foolish.   

Guest Bob Mahelp

I always think of him more as a rugby journalist than a football man. 

I don't think he's up the Old Firm's arse though, which gives him a whole heap of plus points.

5 hours ago, ahemps said:

His article yesterday about Barry Hearn talking about the Scottish Football mentality is a very good read. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646285

I don't know. I thought the opposite. The views of Barry Hearn were spot on – but compare his concise summary of what's wrong in the Scottish game with the pontificating stuff that English wrote around it.  Far too long and sucked the life out of the article.

Tom English is beginning to like the sound of his own writing too much.

Guilty of overexposure recently - probably due to our current situation, but also has become too entrenched in his own opinion. As an outsider he has been balanced previously, and seen things from that perspective but has gone off the deep end and ended up as Succulent Tam to many now. He’s not Traynor though yet!

3 hours ago, bennett said:

Scottish fitba really can be insular at times.

It was only last year was it not that a sevco fans group complained to the BBC about Tom, he was all sorts of ta1g, fen1an etc then. Pretty sure I've seen you slag him off too. Now hes Uncle Tom or Tom Hunglish etc.. 

As @Bob Mahelp said he gets it up both sides of you lot.. youl get a chance to slate him again soon..

On 23/01/2014 at 13:08, bennett said:

Why would we do that?

English is one of the best sports writers in our game imo. Heard a cheeky wee rumour that he's taking over Traynors job at Ibrox lol

On 07/09/2013 at 13:10, bennett said:

Tom English for printed work, not so good on the radio mind you.

Richard Wilson (not Victor) has penned some decent articles recently

Wee Murdo is a decent pundit.

I wouldn't really class Cosgorve as a hack.

26 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

It was only last year was it not that a sevco fans group complained to the BBC about Tom, he was all sorts of ta1g, fen1an etc then. Pretty sure I've seen you slag him off too. Now hes Uncle Tom or Tom Hunglish etc.. 

As @Bob Mahelp said he gets it up both sides of you lot.. youl get a chance to slate him again soon..

I don't always agree with what he says but I've  always been of the opinion that Tom English is one of our best journalists as a few old posts of mine from way back confirm. 

Over the years I'd say that he's improved his live performance too.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

I don't always agree with what he says but I've  always been of the opinion that Tom English is one of our best journalists as a few old posts of mine from way back confirm. 

Over the years I'd say that he's improved his live performance too.

It seems alot of people were of the same opinion before this episode. Which is even more bizarre he ended up with basically a "heads gone". 

9 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

It seems alot of people were of the same opinion before this episode. Which is even more bizarre he ended up with basically a "heads gone". 

I thought throughout this that he's been fairly objective and not just a Sevco cheerleader. 

He's said on a few occasions that he thinks celtic should get the league,  while being critical of Sevco being a bit gung ho at times. Though he obviously thinks that the actions of the spfl in pushing this through need looked in to.