Sign in to follow this  
ahemps

Salary Caps after Covid

Juventus are imposing their own salary cap (although they are excluding Ronaldo from it). I've also heard a lot of media pundits talking about salary caps in the English lower leagues to prevent their catastrophic spending on wages.

Would salary caps help clubs be more financially sound?

Does anyone think salary caps could work in football in general and in Scottish football?

So they're going to cap the salary of every player they have on their payroll. With the exception of one of those players?

I can see that one going down really well.

Edited by BawWatchin

Salary caps are open to all kinds of enforcement and manipulation issues even in sports where it is recognised (see Premiership Rugby in England). If it were to come into force I'll be looking to buy shares in any company that makes large, brown envelopes.

A salary cap would be difficult to implement in Scotland giving the wide variety of club sizes we have within individual divisions. Either it's so high that it has zero impact on clubs outside the top two, or it's so small that it affects the prospects of any of the clubs competing in Europe. A rule based on percentage of turnover might be more reasonable.

Edited by craigkillie

Would be good for a laugh if somebody proposed a top-tier cap roughly equivalent to, say, Kilmarnock's annual wage budget, though.

The statements. Oh my, the statements.

2 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

So they're going to cap the salary of every player they have on their payroll. With the exception of one of those players?

I can see that one going down really well.

On further investigation  it is actually for new recruits going forward and it is self imposed so it could easily be lifted. The new limit is £150k a week or £7.5m a year, not exactly peanuts.

There is already a massive difference in wages between players anyway, why would a cap (or 1 exception to the cap) make a difference? Surely a fringe player at Juventus isn't going to complain that Ronaldo makes more money than him.

53 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Why is Ronaldo exempt from the cap?

He's not, it's new signings that are now going to have to accept they have an upper wage limit. Current contracts are still being honored.