Bradford PA

qos1990

Started a game with Bradford Park Avenue, worst team in Conference North. I probably not helping myself that am a tight b*****d with money, sign mostly young players on non contracts on the cheap. Main problem has been the amount of goals I’m conceding even with a pretty defensive shape, always seems to be long rangers as well. This with our pressing being urgent, style being counter attacking, with a defensive midfielder. I don’t know if I’m missing something I can use as a tactic?

Usually set up a flat 4-1-4-1, was wing play, but think of changing to direct counter attack

I find the lower the level you're at the more a standard basic 442 works, having a target man and poacher as your front 2 is ideal too and the left and right midfielders give your full backs protection. I don't feel there's much point in having full backs going forward too much at that level either (I don't know if you are) as generally they have poor crossing.

Edited by C. Muir

I find the lower the level you're at the more a standard basic 442 works, having a target man and poacher as your front 2 is ideal too and the left and right midfielders give your full backs protection. I don't feel there's much point in having full backs going forward too much at that level either (I don't know if you are) as generally they have poor crossing.

I’ve got stelios that was at st mirren who is very decent but point taken.

1 hour ago, C. Muir said:

I'm kinda stuck to 4-2-3-1 at all levels and I find the opposite with full backs. I score an obscene amount of goals at lower levels with left wingers getting on the end of deep crosses from the right full back. Have them supporting, or overlapping, an inside forward or inverted winger on the right and they launch balls to the back stick all day long. I've played centre backs as a "left winger" because they've got good heading and decent finishing for this reason.

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'm kinda stuck to 4-2-3-1 at all levels and I find the opposite with full backs. I score an obscene amount of goals at lower levels with left wingers getting on the end of deep crosses from the right full back. Have them supporting, or overlapping, an inside forward or inverted winger on the right and they launch balls to the back stick all day long. I've played centre backs as a "left winger" because they've got good heading and decent finishing for this reason.

Hadn't realised he mentioned that they were Conference North in his first post, I was talking more about levels like the dregs. Teams you can't go unless it's an edited database like my Vale of Clyde team. Most wingers at that level in my save are just natural wingers and not really competent playing as IWs or IFs. I use 4231 with similar player roles quite often when I go say Clyde or a lower league English team.

Try the gegenpress too if you havent already @qos1990, I've felt it's seemed a bit of a cheat code at times for me even if it isn't suited to my players. Forces the opposition into a lot of errors too becaue you're pressing and counter pressing all over the place.

3 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Hadn't realised he mentioned that they were Conference North in his first post, I was talking more about levels like the dregs. Teams you can't go unless it's an edited database like my Vale of Clyde team. Most wingers at that level in my save are just natural wingers and not really competent playing as IWs or IFs. I use 4231 with similar player roles quite often when I go say Clyde or a lower league English team.

I recently went the 2nd worst team in Vanuatu and strolled it with that tactic. I find it works even better the lower ye go.

Goes to show the benefits of the game tho'. Slight changes in folks tactics depending on your team, opposition, the style you like, etc can have different results. The idea of there being a "perfect" tactic or formation would piss me off too much. Gegenpress is as close as it gets to a cheat code tho