Best/Worst League one Stadium

Stadiums  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Probably not having a big away support means we get stuck away out of the road at some places. I always prefer places you can move about change ends etc if not segregated. Best for me is Forfar which is ideal for this level, holds a decent crowd with terracing so can find a decent viewing point, am a bit partial to a bridie as well, the only real downside is a few of their stewards who could cause a rumpus in a empty house.

The worst simply because we get stuck in that wee corner of the stand with those backless plastic seats which must be the most uncomfortable in world football, did not mind it when we were up at the far end. Apart from having slightly better seats & in the main views of the whole playing surface the seated grounds are much of a muchness

Worst either Bayview or Dumbarton, both decent enough stands but I’m just not a fan of one stand better to have two smaller stands like Peterhead.

Best probably Forfar choice of seats or standing and the views were decent, I like the fact it has stands on all sides too.

Ours, Falkirk and Airdrie are all too big for this division and end up with away supports rattling around in amongst hundreds of seats. Glad we got the Railway stand for most away supports these days.

I get why you say that East Fife and Dumbarton are the worst. A one sided ground just doesn’t seem right. However when you compare the view, the seating and the facilities that away fans get at the Rock with the view, the seating and the facilities that Sons fans get at Starks park I don’t think anyone could objectively say that the Rock wasn’t better. So I guess it all depends on what you judge a stadium on.

19 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Another stand would have cost a few bob they could ill afford. No club builds much more than they'll actually need now. Look at the white elephants in other towns.

It amazes me supporters still say "we should build another stand,  til in the corners, or we should convert to safe standing" etc. It's a complete failure to see the reality of club finances.

Some Falkirk fans keep saying thay they should get a fourth stand.

I would struggle to think of a bigger waste of money for them.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I can think of a few things

slide-dennon.jpg

NEW-SIGNING_LF.jpg

Edited by Marshmallo

Just now, DA Baracus said:

I'd suggested in another, similar, discussion that it made more sense for some clubs to dismantle and sell stands. I'm not sure how much they'd get or how sellable they'd be now though.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd suggested in another, similar, discussion that it made more sense for some clubs to dismantle and sell stands. I'm not sure how much they'd get or how sellable they'd be now though.

Is there really a market for that though?

2 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

What happens if Broadwood is voted the worst (but also 3rd best) ground?

Then this is all just like the SPFL...incoherent and a shambles.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The principle is solid, the execution is problematical in many cases. Take Stark’s. The two large stands added in the 90’s to meet the 10,000 rule also hold the lighting. Even finding a way to dismantle and sell one of them would result in costs likely exceeding the benefit. I’m sure there are plenty of similar issue at many stadia across Scotland. Stark’s has the broken seats need replaced, but why replace them if they are never used because plastic seat have a finite life when exposed to the climate issue too.

I suspect, in an ideal world, most midsized teams in Scotland would benefit from between a 1,000-3,000 seat main stand on one side, a 500-1,000 seat stand opposite it. Then some low terracing with safe standing at either end. Team with larger support, like Falkirk, could probably support a 4,000 main, 1,000 visitor and some combination of safe standing and low seated terracing at the ends. That being said, the pitches are where they are, and as we see, most fans despise the moves that have occurred, so a place like Stark’s is probably best staying where it is and working around the history (good and bad).

I am also perplexed at the amount of stands lacking any basic precautions to reduce wind and water intrusion at the sides.

Forfar is the best, followed closely by Montrose. Always quite enjoyed going to Starks but think that was more to do with the boozers rather than the ground. Combat 18 always made Airdrie a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Not been for a while, hope that's changed now.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Then this is all just like the SPFL...incoherent and a shambles.

The principle is solid, the execution is problematical in many cases. Take Stark’s. The two large stands added in the 90’s to meet the 10,000 rule also hold the lighting. Even finding a way to dismantle and sell one of them would result in costs likely exceeding the benefit. I’m sure there are plenty of similar issue at many stadia across Scotland. Stark’s has the broken seats need replaced, but why replace them if they are never used because plastic seat have a finite life when exposed to the climate issue too.

I suspect, in an ideal world, most midsized teams in Scotland would benefit from between a 1,000-3,000 seat main stand on one side, a 500-1,000 seat stand opposite it. Then some low terracing with safe standing at either end. Team with larger support, like Falkirk, could probably support a 4,000 main, 1,000 visitor and some combination of safe standing and low seated terracing at the ends. That being said, the pitches are where they are, and as we see, most fans despise the moves that have occurred, so a place like Stark’s is probably best staying where it is and working around the history (good and bad).

I am also perplexed at the amount of stands lacking any basic precautions to reduce wind and water intrusion at the sides.

Why do so many people buy in to the 'safe' standing con?

Why is anyone stupid enough to consider standing unsafe? Because if you think the concept of 'safe' standing is not absolutely nonsense then you must think standing is somehow inherently unsafe.

Why is anyone stupid enough to consider standing unsafe? Because if you think the concept of 'safe' standing is not absolutely nonsense then you must think standing is somehow inherently unsafe.

Standing is perfectly safe it’s the falling over and being crushed that is the problem.

19 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Standing is perfectly safe it’s the falling over and being crushed that is the problem.

You'll only get crushed in a retracing that has been packed beyond capacity and doesn't have adequate crush barriers.

Safe standing is just a different kind of seat. What would be unsafe if 500 people were in this.

Eta, second thoughts, I might limit that to 300.

ebbsfleet-united-26.jpg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I’m not one of the bar/seat for everyone safe standing persuasion, but a well placed series of crossbars and properly configured access controls and proper limits can make standing safe.

I would, however, like some closely barred areas for children’s protection.

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You'll only get crushed in a retracing that has been packed beyond capacity and doesn't have adequate crush barriers.

Safe standing is just a different kind of seat. What would be unsafe if 500 people were in this.

Eta, second thoughts, I might limit that to 300.

ebbsfleet-united-26.jpg

I’ll buy 300 to 350 as easily safe in there.

Standing is safe.

Packing too many folk in to one area is not safe, regardless of it is a terracing or seating.

The Norrie McCathie stand at East End Park holds circa 3500. It is all seating. It would be unsafe to try and pack 7000 in there.

Hundreds of thousands of people stand (stood) on terracing throughout the world each Saturday (when games were on, and notjust football). The death rate was 0. 0 folk have been killed by standing.

Why do folk so easily buy the 'safe standing' con?

All seater stadiums are a terrible anachronism that have failed badly.

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Yet hundreds of thousands of people emerge unscathed every weekend after standing on terracing.

It's almost as if cramming folk in well beyond capacity is the issue. Music venues have loads of folk jumping around and there are no barriers. Do folk get crushed there?

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I’m not one of the bar/seat for everyone safe standing persuasion, but a well placed series of crossbars and properly configured access controls and proper limits can make standing safe.

I would, however, like some closely barred areas for children’s protection.

I’ll buy 300 to 350 as easily safe in there.

Standing is only unsafe when too many folk are put in one area, i.e. when the capacity is breached. Seating is the same though.

How can anyone with a working brain actually believe that standing at a football game is somehow unsafe?

Regarding kids, my old man took me to the main stand at East End when I was a kid rather than the terracing. I would suggest that terracing is for kids, for many reasons.