Best/Worst League 2 Stadium

Best/Worst Ground  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I done this for the Championship and it went quite well so may as well do it for League 2 to keep us going during the lockdown. Added Meadowbank and Ainslie Park for Edinburgh City and Hampden/Lesser for the Spiders due to them being both being in the middle of moving

The worst by a long way is the ground Edinburgh City share. 
it’s like an amateur plastic pitch complex. A ball came on the pitch from a game of 7s from behind the wee stand . 
Mickey Mouse 

similar to EK, thankfully they didn’t come up.

I voted for Elgin as the best. I like the shed there. 

Balmoral is actually OK compared to some of the dumps that used to exist 30 years ago but the covers don't give you much shelter if the wind blows the wrong way .

1 hour ago, big al said:

The worst by a long way is the ground Edinburgh City share. 
it’s like an amateur plastic pitch complex. A ball came on the pitch from a game of 7s from behind the wee stand . 
Mickey Mouse 

similar to EK, thankfully they didn’t come up.

It reminds me of the folk who used to moan about Meadowbank Stadium. Usually after Meadowbank Thistle had beaten them. 

At least the match ball doesn't endanger passing traffic at Ainslie Park unlike at Galabank...

Best - Stirling. Usually take enough of an away support to open the other stand, decent atmosphere and good view of the game.  Annan worth a mention too for the day out if anything but will try and keep that out it since it's "best place to watch football". From what I remember the view from the big stand behind the goal at Brechin was pretty good if you sat near the top. Only been once and it was 11 years ago.

Worst - Cowdenbeath. Miles away from the pitch. Fencing up as if it's a cauldron of a Serie A ground. Albion Rovers was a close second but with the new terracing behind the goal at a raised level it might be a bit less sufferable than that stand or being right on the touchline along the railings. Agree on earlier post about Ainsley Park being a terrible place to watch football too. Haven't been to Old Meadowbank, Balmoral or Borough Briggs. Rest are meh. Lesser Hampden and New Meadowbank should be better than both teams current offerings (not seen any New Meadowbank blueprints yet). 

12 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Best - Stirling. Usually take enough of an away support to open the other stand, decent atmosphere and good view of the game.  Annan worth a mention too for the day out if anything but will try and keep that out it since it's "best place to watch football". From what I remember the view from the big stand behind the goal at Brechin was pretty good if you sat near the top. Only been once and it was 11 years ago.

Worst - Cowdenbeath. Miles away from the pitch. Fencing up as if it's a cauldron of a Serie A ground. Albion Rovers was a close second but with the new terracing behind the goal at a raised level it might be a bit less sufferable than that stand or being right on the touchline along the railings. Agree on earlier post about Ainsley Park being a terrible place to watch football too. Haven't been to Old Meadowbank, Balmoral or Borough Briggs. Rest are meh. Lesser Hampden and New Meadowbank should be better than both teams current offerings (not seen any New Meadowbank blueprints yet). 

I've seen the new Meadowbank blue prints and they look like a shite K Park so you won't be watching any meaningful football there. 

21 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I've seen the new Meadowbank blue prints and they look like a shite K Park so you won't be watching any meaningful football there. 

The new Stockbridge Edinburgh Accies rugby stadium would be a great option for Edinburgh City?   That would the NEW best stadium in Scotland for venue and location....pubs and cafes. 

Edited by Mountain Goat Stirling A

12 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Old Meadowbank was demolished in the 60s. New Meadowbank opened in 1970. Presumably the latest one will be called Newer or Newest Meadowbank.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I voted for Elgin as the best. I like the shed there. 

Balmoral is actually OK compared to some of the dumps that used to exist 30 years ago but the covers don't give you much shelter if the wind blows the wrong way .

Eh....the wind always blows the wrong way in that wee corner of the empire.  We were there on 31st July last year and it was bloody Baltic.  Peterhead was similarly windswept every time we visited.

Not a popular opinion going by the results, but I've always really enjoyed going to Cliftonhill. It's a throwback, it's rickety, the park isn't great, but it's proper football. We're losing something from the lower leagues with the transition to synthetic pitches and stadiums with wee modern stands. We usually take a decent support and there's always been a wee bit of rivalry there, albeit not a bitter one. It's just a game that both sets of fans love to win. Always a good day out. 

Poorest is Ainslie Park. On the level concrete with an absolutely terrible view of the action and absolutely no chance of creating atmosphere because you can't really bunch together. I understand that the SPFL don't allow grassy verges and that's why we can't stand there. It was so much better in the Scottish Cup against Spartans. 

Glebe Park probably just takes it. You get a great variety. You can sit in the stand behind the goal and have a great view. You can stand at the side and be right on top of the action. Or you can stand in the terrace behind the other goal.

I like Ochilview as well. A decent old style terrace behind the goal. Borough Briggs has a nice shed style section at the side which wins it points.

I don't mind Cowdenbeath that much but the fence and how far away from the pitch you can be (depending where they put you) loses it points, so it probably has to take last place on that basis. Haven't been to Ainslie Park or Balmoral Stadium yet.

Albion Rovers -  Obviously a very old run down stadium, but I like it.  It's a good day out there, close to the train station and pubs. You get a decent view of the game as well.

Annan - I've only been to once and it was freezing that day, but I liked it.   Plastic pitch, fenced it on the far side, nice stand along side of the pitch, reminded me a bit of  our own home ground.

Brechin is a lovely little ground in a nice town, and of course the famous hedge adds something different you don't see at any other ground.

Cowdenbeath - The "racewall" will be fine for the stock car people, but poor for football. Away fans get a shite deal here, stuck in that old dirty stand with a crap view of the game.   For the home fans, it's actually OK in the new stand if you get near the back.

Cove -  New ground in industrial estate.  I actually like it and the day out in Aberdeen, although I wish they had built their stand down the entire length of the pitch instead of just that tiny wee stand they have.  Away fans get a poorish view in the shed.

Edinburgh City -  OK I accept it's not popular with away fans, and even for home fans the location in Pilton can make it a long trek to get to. There's not any pubs nearby either so not a great day out.  However, I'm happy there as it's a far better view from the back of the stand than WE were used to at Meadowbank.

QP - Hampden Park, the national stadium.   For away fans a shite view away in the corner.  However, a proper football stadium, with nice concourse for pre-match preperations!

Elgin City is a good day out.  Borrough Briggs is a decent wee ground, good view of the game, and always a hard place to get a result.

Stenhousemuir -  Decent.  Handy for the train station,  Nice big stand along side of the pitch gives you a good view of the match, plus we had the best day in our history there!

Stirling Albion - I think we can say that this is the best away day out in League 2.  Nice ground with good views.  Forthbank should be hosting football a league or two higher I'd say.

It is past time that Albion Rovers called in their stadium name sponsors to sort it out.

For what its worth I think Forthbank is the best of the more modern stadia although give me a Glebe Park or Borough Briggs any day.

Best in League 2 Forthbank, others worth mentioning Glebe Park and Borough Briggs good. The worst has to be Ainslie Park, Edinburgh City. Poor ground, even Cliftonhill is better to watch football at and that’s saying something. [emoji3]

8 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Albion Rovers -  Obviously a very old run down stadium, but I like it.  It's a good day out there, close to the train station and pubs. You get a decent view of the game as well.

Annan - I've only been to once and it was freezing that day, but I liked it.   Plastic pitch, fenced it on the far side, nice stand along side of the pitch, reminded me a bit of  our own home ground.

Brechin is a lovely little ground in a nice town, and of course the famous hedge adds something different you don't see at any other ground.

Cowdenbeath - The "racewall" will be fine for the stock car people, but poor for football. Away fans get a shite deal here, stuck in that old dirty stand with a crap view of the game.   For the home fans, it's actually OK in the new stand if you get near the back.

Cove -  New ground in industrial estate.  I actually like it and the day out in Aberdeen, although I wish they had built their stand down the entire length of the pitch instead of just that tiny wee stand they have.  Away fans get a poorish view in the shed.

Edinburgh City -  OK I accept it's not popular with away fans, and even for home fans the location in Pilton can make it a long trek to get to. There's not any pubs nearby either so not a great day out.  However, I'm happy there as it's a far better view from the back of the stand than WE were used to at Meadowbank.

QP - Hampden Park, the national stadium.   For away fans a shite view away in the corner.  However, a proper football stadium, with nice concourse for pre-match preperations!

Elgin City is a good day out.  Borrough Briggs is a decent wee ground, good view of the game, and always a hard place to get a result.

Stenhousemuir -  Decent.  Handy for the train station,  Nice big stand along side of the pitch gives you a good view of the match, plus we had the best day in our history there!

Stirling Albion - I think we can say that this is the best away day out in League 2.  Nice ground with good views.  Forthbank should be hosting football a league or two higher I'd say.

I like that dirty old stand at Central Park, it feels warmer than modern stands. There was a Cowden v City game where it was pissing with rain and I was thinking that the architects of 100 years ago managed to build a stand where you didn't get wet unlike modern architects.

"Watched my love down at Central Park,

Dreamed my dreams of a Coxy goal,

Dirty old stand, Dirty old stand.."

Blue Brazilians you can have that one if you like as long as you sing it like Shane McGowan!