PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Ludo*1

PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, #Gary said:

I'll need to have a check up on that. I thought after the initial delay to Halo it was said that they might not have been able to bring it to the older gen consoles. Might have been just rumour at the time right enough.

That might be the case I definitely heard the same rumour. CD Projekt Red and 343 both did put some blame on trying to optimise for older consoles (which I don't think makes a lick of sense considering when development started) but I'm certain Microsoft have assured that all games will be playable and if they're first party will be free for Game Pass subscribers.

Managed to order a series X from Game on Sunday night. Went for the all access plan paying £28.99 for 24 months. Reckon I got incredibly lucky just checking to see if they had it available. I already pay £10.99 a month for the game pass so £18 a month for 24 months is excellent IMO. Should hopefully have it by the end of the week.

ETA: Just checked out of curiosity and they still have it in stock if anybody is looking for one. 

Edited by latapythelegend

I ended up going for that Series S deal and traded in my PS4 Pro against it (I have PS5 so no use for it) and that left 50 quid to pay.. traded in a spare controller I had and a couple of games to more or less make up the 50 quid.

Didn't even look at eBay to see what I could sell the Pro separately for but I don't imagine it being much better than that deal but with the faff of shipping etc.

It will be a secondary console really.

I was offered 3 months of game pass ultimate for a quid and cancelled the auto renew. What got me curious though was I had a look at the Microsoft rewards app and it looks relatively easy to build up enough points to get gift cards or even your game pass ultimate for free a few months of the year. Anyone bother with that?

36 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

What's the difference between the series S and series X? 

Series X is the the top of the range one at the moment. More storage capacity and is meant to be a bit mroe powerful. I don't know much about the spec, all i know is its the btter of the two in that respect.

Series S is smaller, cheaper and won't accept disks - everything is digital.  

That's it in a nutshell but there will be far more than to it i'd imagine. 

I ended up going for that Series S deal and traded in my PS4 Pro against it (I have PS5 so no use for it) and that left 50 quid to pay.. traded in a spare controller I had and a couple of games to more or less make up the 50 quid.
Didn't even look at eBay to see what I could sell the Pro separately for but I don't imagine it being much better than that deal but with the faff of shipping etc.
It will be a secondary console really.
I was offered 3 months of game pass ultimate for a quid and cancelled the auto renew. What got me curious though was I had a look at the Microsoft rewards app and it looks relatively easy to build up enough points to get gift cards or even your game pass ultimate for free a few months of the year. Anyone bother with that?

Yeah, I've been doing the rewards for a year or so now. If you keep doing the daily and weekly tasks then you can easily earn enough points to not have to part with any cash for Game Pass or Gold. I mostly use it to get MS gift cards to put towards games and DLC.

It's well worth it if you can be arsed.

On 01/06/2021 at 17:14, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Yeah, I've been doing the rewards for a year or so now. If you keep doing the daily and weekly tasks then you can easily earn enough points to not have to part with any cash for Game Pass or Gold. I mostly use it to get MS gift cards to put towards games and DLC.

It's well worth it if you can be arsed.

I have no clue whatsoever about this, is this the thing that comes up when you start a new game? 

36 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

I have no clue whatsoever about this, is this the thing that comes up when you start a new game? 

It's this thing https://account.microsoft.com/rewards/

You can pick up a small amount of points each day clicking a few links, doing polls and quizzes and using Bing for searches.

If you have game pass, you can get more points doing various tasks each day, week & month on your console. https://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-quests

You can also get more points via the Rewards app on the console.

It's a bit of busy work, but the points soon add up if you keep it going.

• 1 month later...

I have a series S but I’m not entirely sure I’m getting the most out of it. I have a 4K 49” curved Samsung TV; it’s capable of HDR output, and games look fantastic on the console, but my tv isn’t capable of 120hz. If I were to get a monitor capable of 120hz, would an HDMI be capable of that or would I need a displayport > hdmi adapter?

I have a series S but I’m not entirely sure I’m getting the most out of it. I have a 4K 49” curved Samsung TV; it’s capable of HDR output, and games look fantastic on the console, but my tv isn’t capable of 120hz. If I were to get a monitor capable of 120hz, would an HDMI be capable of that or would I need a displayport > hdmi adapter?
You're fine with HDMI cable. I've got the series x and made the jump to a 1440p 144Hz monitor a couple of months ago. Running games at 120fps is an absolute game changer.

You're fine with HDMI cable. I've got the series x and made the jump to a 1440p 144Hz monitor a couple of months ago. Running games at 120fps is an absolute game changer.

Took the plunge and ordered this https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-27-curved-gaming-monitor-s2721hgf/apd/210-awyy/monitors-monitor-accessories

Not 4K but 144hz at that price I can’t complain. Upgrade for my actual pc monitor as well.

Took the plunge and ordered this https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-27-curved-gaming-monitor-s2721hgf/apd/210-awyy/monitors-monitor-accessories

Not 4K but 144hz at that price I can’t complain. Upgrade for my actual pc monitor as well.
Head over to YouTube once your monitor arrives as there might be a couple of settings you need to turn off before 120fps can be enabled. I had to turn off the HDR and freesync settings on the monitor before being able to max out the fps

Head over to YouTube once your monitor arrives as there might be a couple of settings you need to turn off before 120fps can be enabled. I had to turn off the HDR and freesync settings on the monitor before being able to max out the fps

I’m all good with the HDMI yeah? I’m seeing conflicting things about the type of hdmi and their respective capabilities to output higher Hz compared to DP.

I’m all good with the HDMI yeah? I’m seeing conflicting things about the type of hdmi and their respective capabilities to output higher Hz compared to DP.
The HDMI cable you got with the S is absolutely fine.

https://www.cablematters.com/blog/HDMI/how-to-hdmi-120hz

The cable with the Series S and X is actually the HDMI 2.1 which is an upgrade from your standard 2.0

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Managed to get hold a PS5.

Got lucky with an email from Stock Checker with Very having stock.

What game should I be instantly be buying? 

I'd recommend Resident Evil Village for starters. 

What sort of games are you into? I really enjoyed playing AC Valhalla and was awestruck at the nice graphics but not really a game everyone would like. 

Astros playroom is essential, it's free but is a brilliant wee introduction type game for the new controller. 

3 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Managed to get hold a PS5.

Got lucky with an email from Stock Checker with Very having stock.

What game should I be instantly be buying? 

Miles Morales although it's not very long. If you buy the Ultimate Edition you get a remastered for PS5 Spider-man 2018.

I'd recommend Resident Evil Village for starters. 
What sort of games are you into? I really enjoyed playing AC Valhalla and was awestruck at the nice graphics but not really a game everyone would like. 
Astros playroom is essential, it's free but is a brilliant wee introduction type game for the new controller. 
When does Valhalla get going? Couple of hours in and still finding my feet. I'm still on the original island though just gathering gold and materials (not sure if this is worth doing?) until I get hold of the controls.