PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Ludo*1

PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sony have matched the £450 price for the main console. £360 for discless.
EiEG_2kUYAAILJQ?format=jpg%26name=large&key=e5cac75f024c630eee81c1511dcce3cbfbe7cc18c21a5e40814ef747594dfa89
No details yet (as far as I've seen) as to whether the digital version is exactly the same minus the disc drive or whether it's a slightly spec'd down version of the main console (like the xbox).

23 minutes ago, spud131 said:
25 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
Sony have matched the £450 price for the main console. £360 for discless.
EiEG_2kUYAAILJQ?format=jpg%26name=large&key=e5cac75f024c630eee81c1511dcce3cbfbe7cc18c21a5e40814ef747594dfa89

No details yet (as far as I've seen) as to whether the digital version is exactly the same minus the disc drive or whether it's a slightly spec'd down version of the main console (like the xbox).

I haven't read anywhere that there is any other difference but a £90  price difference for a disc drive seems pretty mental.

However just watching something that says because they get 100% of digital spend they might be trying to push that version a bit more. 

Edited by Have some faith in Magic

1 minute ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I haven't read anywhere that there is any other difference but a £90 difference for a disc drive seems pretty mental only.

However just watching something that says because they get 100% of digital spend they might be trying to push that version a bit more. 

I am very tempted by the digital version. I have tried to go as digital as possible in recent years and wouldn't miss discs at all.

GAME are just about dead anyway, but a large scale adoption of discless consoles will surely be the final nail in their coffin. CEX must be worried as well.

Sony's digital store is a bump. They'll make their money on folks that way.

Most games (Unless on deal) are £60 on the store whilst they're £49 in the shops.

Some amount of classic Ps4 games available on launch for anyone who missed out.

Screenshot_20200916-221405_Chrome.jpg

I haven't read anywhere that there is any other difference but a £90  price difference for a disc drive seems pretty mental.
After a quick Google it appears that the only difference is the lack of a disc drive. I much prefer digital and very rarely buy a game at full price but I still think that Sony needs to have some competition in the digital market like selling digital codes for games via other retailers that the retailers can set the prices for (obviously would be based on what price Sony 'sell' them the codes for).

Think Sony have smashed it tbh.

There was nothing to suggest the digital console wasn't exactly the same minus the disc drive so I'm pretty happy with £359.

Don't know why anyone buysn direct from the PS store with their card anyway. Much cheaper to buy PS credit from cdkeys or wherever you can get it cheapest and then using that. You can actually pay less than you would for a physical edition this way.

PS store tends to have some good sales on it from what I've seen as well.

The PS+ collection is a nice addition to the subscription benefits. An excellent incentive for those that have been away from playstation for a while and missed some of these games.

There was nothing to suggest the digital console wasn't exactly the same minus the disc drive so I'm pretty happy with £359.
Don't know why anyone buysn direct from the PS store with their card anyway. Much cheaper to buy PS credit from cdkeys or wherever you can get it cheapest and then using that. You can actually pay less than you would for a physical edition this way.

The PS+ collection is a nice addition to the subscription benefits. An excellent incentive for those that have been away from playstation for a while and missed some of these games.
With the standard edition, you're basically getting a 4k Blu ray disc player thrown in for an£90 extra. Even though I have a 4k blu ray player and decent size selection of 4k discs, it suits me to get the standard console, then i can watch my movie collection in a different room. I don't like the idea of being tied down to buying digital edition games from the playstore as well as quite often on the PS4 ive found the discs cheaper elsewhere.

Looks like preorders are already either sold out or completely fucked.  Didn't think they even started until today.  Shopto's site has crashed too by the looks of it.

EDIT: THought Currys was working, but after getting through to payment, they rejected the card and now the whole preorder site seems to be down again.

Edited by forameus

I managed to fluke a pre-order at Smyth's by just happening to see a Tweet at the right time last night.

It's typical Sony to make such an arse of pre-orders immediately after a well received presentation.

I wonder if a PS5 will be as hard to find as PS2 and the Wii were at launch?

9 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:
10 hours ago, #Gary said:

With the standard edition, you're basically getting a 4k Blu ray disc player thrown in for an£90 extra. Even though I have a 4k blu ray player and decent size selection of 4k discs, it suits me to get the standard console, then i can watch my movie collection in a different room. I don't like the idea of being tied down to buying digital edition games from the playstore as well as quite often on the PS4 ive found the discs cheaper elsewhere.

Absolutely, if I had a collection of disks then I'd be all over it for the sake of £90. There's perfectly good reasons for both versions imo.

Personally happy to pay £90 less for the console and buy the official headset (which are generally quite good from Sony) as I don't have any collection of blu rays nor PS4 games. The only disks I have are God of War, TLOU and Horizon Zero Dawn and 2 of them going to be included in PS+ collection anyway.

And yeah ps store is generally more expensive than disks, but if you use the method of buying store credit from the likes of cdkeys you can quite often get the games as cheap as any disk version, but obviously won't have any trade in value.

PS I pre-ordered on Game website last night and got confirmation and an order number on the site. Their sign in option was buggered and advised to check out as guest. I've had no confirmation email and still can't log into their site to see if it's actually gone through.

59 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I managed to fluke a pre-order at Smyth's by just happening to see a Tweet at the right time last night.

It's typical Sony to make such an arse of pre-orders immediately after a well received presentation.

I wonder if a PS5 will be as hard to find as PS2 and the Wii were at launch?

Don't think you can blame Sony too much for sites completely dismantling.  But you'd think nowadays there could be a sturdy enough process to deal with this stuff.

Looking like these will be scarce at launch.  Wonder if there's a touch of Nintendo artificial scarcity going on to ease some of the pressure on Sony in these trying times.