PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Ludo*1

PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm currently swaying towards Xbox. Being able to carry over my Game Pass subscription and full backwards compatibility is a huge plus.

Unless PS5 is a lot cheaper, I can't see myself going with them to start with. I have a PSVR headset, so a good VR offering  might tempt me.

How noisy the console is could sway me as well. My PS4 sounds like a plane taking off and is pretty much unusable without wearing headphones, where my Xbox One barely makes a noise.

It seems like neither console will have many exclusive games worth playing at launch, so I might wait a few months before picking up either.

I'm hoping that Sony are offering free upgrades on their games the same way Microsoft are, so if you buy Fifa 21 on the PS4 then when you buy a PS5 then it'll upgrade Fifa 21 to the PS5 version for free.

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm currently swaying towards Xbox. Being able to carry over my Game Pass subscription and full backwards compatibility is a huge plus.

Unless PS5 is a lot cheaper, I can't see myself going with them to start with. I have a PSVR headset, so a good VR offering  might tempt me.

How noisy the console is could sway me as well. My PS4 sounds like a plane taking off and is pretty much unusable without wearing headphones, where my Xbox One barely makes a noise.

It seems like neither console will have many exclusive games worth playing at launch, so I might wait a few months before picking up either.

I had no idea both were this far along in development so I had a read about the Xbox on Microsoft's website and they're really pitching hard on the number of fans and general noise reduction the new Xbox has.

Anyway, I'll probably pick up the Series X as the cross ownership stuff with games is really good and the Game Pass is just tremendous value. I'll end up with both eventually though like I did this gen.

Dunno if I even have any good reason to buy a next gen console. I never play online anyway.

That being said, if I do (and knowing me I'll eventually just do it) I'd stick with the PlayStation series, as it's pretty much all I know in terms of consoles.

On 11/05/2020 at 12:20, spud131 said:

I'm hoping that Sony are offering free upgrades on their games the same way Microsoft are, so if you buy Fifa 21 on the PS4 then when you buy a PS5 then it'll upgrade Fifa 21 to the PS5 version for free.

I don’t think EA are using the Microsoft smart delivery system for it. By the sound of it for Madden it’s a free upgrade as long as you buy the game and console before a certain date so it’s probably down to whether EA do it or not. Obviously a bit crappy if you weren’t planning on buying the new console in the first 6 months or so.

I normally do end up getting both but with having Gamepass until some point in 2022 I think I’ll be getting the new Xbox unless something drastic happens before the release.

It’s fairly rare for decent exclusives in the first year anyway so chances are the majority of what I’ll play for the next year will be multi-platform games.

I had a 360 but apart from that I'm Playstation all the way. Haven't had a single issue with any of my PlayStation's and they all still play now. I enjoyed the 360 but did end up having to replace the first one as I got the RRoD. I'm a Sony fanboy into the bargain.

I don't get to play the PS4 as often since having kids and have about 15 games to get through still so I expect it'll be a year or 2 before I get the PS5 anyway.

Probably PS5 , always had a Sony (apart from the PS1) or Nintendo so its unlikely that i'll deviate from this. That being said i'm not a fanboy and both consoles are likely to be excellent. The only thing that might sway me is if Microsoft had a killer game that I really wanted and wasn't available any where else but that hasn't happend in the last 19 years so i'm not that worried.

• 3 weeks later...

Has it been mentioned if PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the 5?  Will have to replace my PS4 if it's not worth repairing and with lockdown console prices and the 5 coming out soon, was thinking of holding off and buying a 5 on release if I could play my current games on it.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

2 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Has it been mentioned if PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the 5?  Will have to replace my PS4 if it's not worth repairing and with lockdown console prices and the 5 coming out soon, was thinking of holding off and buying a 5 on release if I could play my current games on it.

Sony say the overwhelming majority of PS4 games will be backwards compatible.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/ps5-backwards-compatibility/

Sony are having a big reveal event at 9pm on Thursday, so hopefully they will flesh out some of the details then.

3 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Sony say the overwhelming majority of PS4 games will be backwards compatible.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/ps5-backwards-compatibility/

Sony are having a big reveal event at 9pm on Thursday, so hopefully they will flesh out some of the details then.

Good excuse to buy it on launch then. 

I was pretty much set on getting the PS5 at launch, but if there was a big reason to get the XBox over that, I wouldn't be averse to.  They'll be much of a muchness really, only difference will be exclusives on each.

13 minutes ago, forameus said:

I was pretty much set on getting the PS5 at launch, but if there was a big reason to get the XBox over that, I wouldn't be averse to.  They'll be much of a muchness really, only difference will be exclusives on each.

PS exclusives better surely?